U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 02:29 PM

27 posts, read 62,206 times

Advertisements

I filed for UI in October of 2011 and I'm currently on my 2nd extension that will last to the December 2012 cut off for all extensions.

I'm very confused to the notice I received recently. It was a NOTICE OF UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE AWARD letter. It's the same one I received after initially filed for UI back in October 2011.

The CLAIM BEGINNING DATE is 10/2012 and the CLAIM ENDING DATE is 10/2013. It shows my WEEKLY BENEFIT AMOUNT and all of the other information.

Why am I getting this when all extensions will stop late this year? I'm thoroughly confused but hoping that maybe the unemployment gods have given me another year of UI until I find a job but I'm sure that's not the case.

Any help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 05:37 PM

14,382 posts, read 19,160,414 times
What state are you in?

Did you work during the past twelve months?

Old 11-07-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
What state are you in?

Did you work during the past twelve months?

I'm in California and I haven't worked since the end of October in 2011.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:26 PM

Sometimes at your bye, if you haven't worked, CA will send you a letter saying you do not qualify for a new claim. Then CA sends you claim forms to continue on your earlier claim EUC tier benefits.

However, CA also has an odd way of establishing your start date when you first claimed, so it is possible they established a new state claim for you even though you didn't work after you filed in 10/2011. More info here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/26183754-post13.html

This is a propitious time for a new claim. However, know that CA also often establishes new claims which it later invalidates. In that case, you continue on EUC from your old calim.

You probably should call CA to clarify. Good info on this thread on how to get through:

Tips for getting through to a live body @ California EDD

Old 11-07-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Sometimes at your bye, if you haven't worked, CA will send you a letter saying you do not qualify for a new claim. Then CA sends you claim forms to continue on your earlier claim EUC tier benefits.

However, CA also has an odd way of establishing your start date when you first claimed, so it is possible they established a new state claim for you even though you didn't work after you filed in 10/2011. More info here:

This is a propitious time for a new claim. However, know that CA also often establishes new claims which it later invalidates. In that case, you continue on EUC from your old calim.

You probably should call CA to clarify. Good info on this thread on how to get through:

Thanks for the info. I will try to give them a call asap but I won't hold my breath regarding getting a new claim. I'm fully expecting that everything ends at the end of December.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:

I actually did receive a letter stating that I did not qualify for a new claim (invalid claim sec 1277) but then received the UI awards letter. Very odd

Do you think I should still call EDD or am I wasting my time since I'm sure my EDD will end this year?

Old 11-07-2012, 05:20 PM

2 posts, read 6,507 times
Hello there....I'm new to all this Unemployment stuff too and also received the same letters as tqt008, one letter dated Oct. 2, 2012 as the "invalid claim letter" and another letter dated oct. 5. 2012, informing me of my new claim which runs from Oct. 2012 to Oct. 2013. I didn't work and haven't found any work yet and am confused about this "new claim" which I guess is called "re-certified claim"? Is this automatically filed by EDD in California and will I be collecting more unemployment compensation for this new claim which is dated from Oct. 2012 to Oct. 2013? I am in my second tier of federal extensions, so will this new claim take over after this second tier is exhausted? I didn't know that we are entitled to file another claim after our first claim has expired? Please advise at your earliest convenience. Thank you in advance.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tqt008 View Post
I actually did receive a letter stating that I did not qualify for a new claim (invalid claim sec 1277) but then received the UI awards letter. Very odd

Do you think I should still call EDD or am I wasting my time since I'm sure my EDD will end this year?
Since you got a letter on an invalid claim, just wait for claim forms to continue. If they don't come in a week or so, call CA. CA is usually pretty good about getting the claim forms out, however.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laborteb View Post
Hello there....I'm new to all this Unemployment stuff too and also received the same letters as tqt008, one letter dated Oct. 2, 2012 as the "invalid claim letter" and another letter dated oct. 5. 2012, informing me of my new claim which runs from Oct. 2012 to Oct. 2013. I didn't work and haven't found any work yet and am confused about this "new claim" which I guess is called "re-certified claim"? Is this automatically filed by EDD in California and will I be collecting more unemployment compensation for this new claim which is dated from Oct. 2012 to Oct. 2013? I am in my second tier of federal extensions, so will this new claim take over after this second tier is exhausted? I didn't know that we are entitled to file another claim after our first claim has expired? Please advise at your earliest convenience. Thank you in advance.
Yes, CA has automatically filed a new claim for you. CA does this automatically when you haven't worked during your first benefit year and are collecting EUC. But, you do NOT have a new claim.

You are now in a new "benefit year" but still collecting on the first claim. CA will continue to pay you from Tier 2 of your federal extensions until the end of this year. Congress should be addressing extending the benefits in the next couple of weeks but, for now, don't plan on any payments after December. See FAQS, post 6.

You don't need to do anything at this point except wait for claim forms.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Yes, CA has automatically filed a new claim for you. CA does this automatically when you haven't worked during your first benefit year and are collecting EUC. But, you do NOT have a new claim.

You are now in a new "benefit year" but still collecting on the first claim. CA will continue to pay you from Tier 2 of your federal extensions until the end of this year. Congress should be addressing extending the benefits in the next couple of weeks but, for now, don't plan on any payments after December. See FAQS, post 6.

You don't need to do anything at this point except wait for claim forms.

Thanks for the help Ariadne. I'll just play the waiting game and see what happens. I knew I didn't have a brand new claim. That's too good to be true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment