U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-12-2012, 07:22 PM

1 posts, read 16,309 times

Advertisements

help...i have a question about employment and part time job. i have tried calling EDD but as everyone knows by now, it is difficult to talk to a "live" person. i keep getting a recording over and over again so i hope someone can help me get an answer.

my EDD checks run out by dec 29, according to the new legislation. i think i am on my 3rd or 4th extension, not sure which.

my question is: if i accept part time work that will only pay $300 per week, how much will i be paid on the unemployment? i currently get the full EDD amount of $450 per week. will i just get $150?

should i just keep looking for a full time job AFTER my EDD checks run out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 01:28 PM

14,158 posts, read 18,601,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocha2121 View Post
my EDD checks run out by dec 29, according to the new legislation. i think i am on my 3rd or 4th extension, not sure which.

my question is: if i accept part time work that will only pay $300 per week, how much will i be paid on the unemployment? i currently get the full EDD amount of $450 per week. will i just get $150?

should i just keep looking for a full time job AFTER my EDD checks run out?
In CA, 75% of what you earn is deducted from your benefit, in this case $300x75%=$225. So, you would receive a partial unemployment benefit of $225 ($450-$225), plus your earnings of $300, or a total of $525. It's up to you if you want to work for $75.

However, since your benefits are about to end anyway, if you can find a job, you might be wise to take it, as all federal benefit payments end December 29 if Congress doesn't extend the legislation.

Further, if Congress does extend the legislation, more of your remaining EUC benefit will be available into 2013 and those new earnings might qualify you for a new claim when you finally exhaust your EUC. In my opinion, at this point in your claim, it would be wise to find work.

This is CA's partial benefit formula:
Quote:
Amount of Wages
Although a claimant is required to report to the Department to total gross wages payable, only a portion of those wages affects the claimant's eligibility for benefits under Sections 1252 and 1279.

If the wages allocated to a week claimed are $25.99 or less, such earnings are disregarded and, hence, have no effect on the claimant's eligibility for benefits. If the wages are between. $26 and $99. 99, $25 of the wages are disregarded and the amount remaining is considered to be deductible. If the wages are $100 or more, 25 percent of the wages are disregarded and, therefore, the deductible earnings would be 75 percent of the total wages.

When the deductible earnings equal or exceed the claimant's WBA, he/she is ineligible for benefits under Section 1252 since he/she does not meet the definition of an unemployed individual. When the deductible earnings are less than the claimant's WBA and the claimant has worked less than full-time, he/she would be ineligible for full weekly benefits under Section 1279. If otherwise eligible, the claimant would be paid the difference between his/her WBA and the deductible earnings.

EXAMPLE F
Claimant F worked less than full time and earned gross wages of $85 during the week ending August 4. F's WBA is $55. The amount of deductible earnings is $60 ($85 minus $25) which exceeds the claimant's WBA. Therefore, F is ineligible for benefits under Section 1252.

EXAMPLE G
Claimant G worked less than full time and earned gross wages of $120 during the week ending August 11. G's WBA is $85. The amount of deductible earning is $90 ($120 minus 25% of $120) which exceeds the WBA. Therefore G is ineligible for benefits under Section 1252.

EXAMPLE H
Claimant H worked less than full time and earned gross wages of $93 during the week ending August 18. H's WBA is $95. The amount of deductible earnings is $68 ($93 minus $25) which is less than the WBA. Assuming that H meets all other eligibility requirements, the amount payable would be $27 ($95 minus $68).

EXAMPLE I
Claimant I worked less than full time and earned gross wages of $200 during the week ending August 25. I's WBA is $166. The amount of deductible earnings is $150 ($200 minus 25% of $200) which is less than I's WBA. Assuming that I meets all other eligibility requirements, the amount payable would be $16 ($166 minus $150).

Total and Partial Unemployment TPU 5 - General

Last edited by Ariadne22; 11-13-2012 at 01:38 PM..

Old 11-14-2012, 07:21 PM

1 posts, read 16,304 times
Hi all, I hope you can help me with this question? I found a job that pays $10 an hour and the minimum hours per week to start is 15 hours. My weekly benefits is $233 no taxes withheld. Which I started to understand a little bit about, and now I should of had taxes withheld from my checks. Anyways, they pay me two checks that add up $466 and credited to my EDD Debit card. What will I be getting from unemployment all together? I also have an appointment "REEMPLOYMENT AND ELIGIBILITY ASSESSMENT" tomorrow, so I'm scare they will be upset because I didn't get a full time job. I don't want to be unemployed anymore, and found this place that will offer me a job. I just hope this was a good decision. I See there were comments made to this post, although they are not loading it keeps saying error time out.
Thank you!

Last edited by starlightdiamond1; 11-14-2012 at 07:45 PM..

Old 11-14-2012, 08:38 PM

14,158 posts, read 18,601,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlightdiamond1 View Post
Hi all, I hope you can help me with this question? I found a job that pays $10 an hour and the minimum hours per week to start is 15 hours. My weekly benefits is $233 no taxes withheld. Which I started to understand a little bit about, and now I should of had taxes withheld from my checks. Anyways, they pay me two checks that add up $466 and credited to my EDD Debit card. What will I be getting from unemployment all together? I also have an appointment "REEMPLOYMENT AND ELIGIBILITY ASSESSMENT" tomorrow, so I'm scare they will be upset because I didn't get a full time job. I See there were comments made to this post, although they are not loading it keeps saying error time out.
Can't you see my answer to OP's Q on CA's Partial Benefit Formula?

Depending on how long you've been unemployed, you don't need to have federal taxes withheld from your UE benefit. Your UE benefit is 52x$233=$12,116 income annually. Your income tax deductions of $6100 standard deduction and $3800 personal exemption total $9,900. Taxable income is $2,210. Tax due will be $221. You won't be penalized for failure to withhold for any tax liability below $1,000. So, don't worry about that. Unemployment benefits are not taxable in the State of California.
Quote:
Unemployment insurance benefits are taxable income for federal purposes but are not taxable by the State of California.

California Tax Information Center - Special Circumstances
You might even be eligible for an Earned Income Tax Credit, which might put a little more money in your pocket, if not this year, probably next year. I haven't calculated that out, however.

CA deducts 75% of what you earn GROSS from your UE benefit. If you earn $150/wk, CA will deduct $113 from your $233 benefit, leaving you with a net UE benefit of $120.

So, every two weeks, you will receive an unemployment benefit from CA of $240.

If you decide to have taxes withheld from your part-time job, don't make it more than $10/wk.

Overall, between UE of $120/wk and probably your net-take home of $130/wk, after payroll taxes and federal withholding of $10, you will take home every two weeks about $500.

CA won't care that you are taking a part-time job. Don't worry about it.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 11-14-2012 at 09:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment