U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-13-2012, 02:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,661 times

Advertisements

I cannot get throught to Unemployment (California) big surprise! So if anyone has any advice or explaniation, please help.

My weekly benefit amount was recently reduced and I think it is an error (hopefully). Here is some background.

I was laid off 10/31/11 which also was my last day of work. I immediatly filed online for unemployment and soon after started receiving benefits of $397/week.

My 52 weeks ended recently and I was instructed by an unemployment representative to fill out a claim online. I did not know what my wages were in the quarters they requested, so that representative gave me the information to fill out on my claim: Quarters Ending: Sep 11 $1676.57; Dec 11 $4134.38; Mar 12 $0; Jun 12 $0. Note these earnings were less than the quarters in my first claim because from July-Sept 2011 I was on disability.

10/28/12 I received Notice of Determination of Invalid Claim. I was expecting this. The rep I spoke with said my claim would be invalid and I would continue to receive my second extension until the end of this year. That rep also said my weekly benefit amount would not change. The Notice of Determination also states "This determination does not affect your claim for extended benefits"

Then this weekend I received Notice of Unemployment Insurance Award. My weekly benefit amount changed from $397 to $160 a week! This is not good, and totally unexpected.

I am confused. Why has my benefit decreased? Why is my weekly benefit amount based on the earnings for the base period of the new claim which was determined invaild. This just doesn't make sense to me.

I read about the Deferred New Claim Payment Program. It seems I meet all of the requirements however I am unsure of one thing. EDD's website states: ", this program requires California to continue paying on the federal extension at the higher weekly amount even though they qualify for a new regular unemployment claim"

I am consfused if I qualify based on the part that says "even thought they qualify for a new...claim". My new claim was found invalid, so will I qualify for the Deferred Program?

Please help! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 02:50 PM

234 posts, read 337,029 times
i don't even understand how you got $397 a week on unemployment. you made more on unemployment than at your job its very odd. i remember another thread from CA with unemployment benefits lowered i would search around on here maybe it will help you.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:24 PM

14,389 posts, read 19,207,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by around1999 View Post
i don't even understand how you got $397 a week on unemployment. you made more on unemployment than at your job its very odd. i remember another thread from CA with unemployment benefits lowered i would search around on here maybe it will help you.
$397 was based on FOUR QUARTERS of earnings used for the FIRST CLAIM - which he did NOT list in his post. The quarters given are for his so-called "new claim" (probably invalid).

Old 11-13-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakbnewton View Post
I was laid off 10/31/11 which also was my last day of work. I immediatly filed online for unemployment and soon after started receiving benefits of $397/week.

10/28/12 I received Notice of Determination of Invalid Claim. I was expecting this. The rep I spoke with said my claim would be invalid and I would continue to receive my second extension until the end of this year. That rep also said my weekly benefit amount would not change. The Notice of Determination also states "This determination does not affect your claim for extended benefits"

Then this weekend I received Notice of Unemployment Insurance Award. My weekly benefit amount changed from $397 to $160 a week! This is not good, and totally unexpected.

I am confused. Why has my benefit decreased? Why is my weekly benefit amount based on the earnings for the base period of the new claim which was determined invaild. This just doesn't make sense to me.

I read about the Deferred New Claim Payment Program. It seems I meet all of the requirements however I am unsure of one thing. EDD's website states: ", this program requires California to continue paying on the federal extension at the higher weekly amount even though they qualify for a new regular unemployment claim"

I am consfused if I qualify based on the part that says "even thought they qualify for a new...claim". My new claim was found invalid, so will I qualify for the Deferred Program?
If your last day of work was 10/31/11, CA backdated your claim to 10/30/11 and has included the earnings of 10/31 as "new" earnings. Thus, its original determination of a new claim, which it later invalidated. This happens all the time. Normally, they will cancel these claims if you call to tell them there are no new earnings, which apparently you did. The monetary letter determination on the $160/wk benefit was probably sent in error. CA often sends conflicting notices on monetary determinations even when a claim is deemed invalid.

FYI - DNCP does NOT apply to an invalid claim.

If, in fact, CA has now determined this new claim is valid, you will qualify for DNCP. In that event, CA should be sending you a letter on DNCP. CA is very good about applying DNCP to qualified new claims.

Have you received any claim forms since your benefit year end? If not, wait until you get another letter from CA about DNCP or new claim forms. I suspect the $160 claim is invalid. You should be receiving claim forms for a continuation on EUC from the first claim.

Or, you can call them, yet again. Good tips on the last page or three of this thread:

Tips for getting through to a live body @ California EDD

Old 11-13-2012, 05:38 PM

68 posts, read 93,572 times
Happened to me , but that new claim is invalid. So you shouldn't worry about it because it's invalid.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:42 PM

234 posts, read 337,029 times
i seen a few with the same story on here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irco View Post
Happened to me , but that new claim is invalid. So you shouldn't worry about it because it's invalid.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:07 AM

691 posts, read 312,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by around1999 View Post

I don't understand how someone gets a full year of unemployment?

Old 11-14-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelStraker View Post
- FAQS is a sticky on this board for a reason.

Unemployment FAQs

Old 11-17-2012, 05:19 PM

47,585 posts, read 35,922,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelStraker View Post
I believe some got up to 99 weeks -- but in January all that is very likely going to come to an end and then it will be up to the individual state how long they want to pay unemployment. I would suspect that most states will give up to 26 weeks and then it's time to find a job or something else.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:32 PM

4,404 posts, read 5,472,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I believe some got up to 99 weeks -- but in January all that is very likely going to come to an end and then it will be up to the individual state how long they want to pay unemployment. I would suspect that most states will give up to 26 weeks and then it's time to find a job or something else.
January? get your dates right, the extensions end in December.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment