U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-18-2012, 10:06 PM

1 posts, read 18,698 times

Advertisements

its been more than 5 weeks that i have claimed and i have not received any payment.
I got a mail stating my pay 2 weeks back, nothing after that.
Does anyone knows how long does it take for the process and when should i expect the payment.

NY unemployment telephone line is automated machine & after series of interlinked menus it hangs up on you with no answers. If anyone has an answer, PLEASE HELP!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 10:17 PM

398 posts, read 753,663 times
You need to claim every week for your weekly benefits.
You should have created an online account to access your unemployment benefits which will allow you to make your weekly claims and your online account will show when your payments are released each week.

https://applications.labor.ny.gov/In...e&LOCALE=en_US

How to get an agent on the phone:

UI - Path to speak to an agent - New York State Department of Labor

If there are too many people on the lines, automated system will ask you to call back later.
I recommend calling early in the morning and just re-dialing until you get thru and put on hold for an agent.
Once you are on hold, you will have to wait until an agent gets to your call.

Monday is supposed to be the busiest for them so calling later in the week might be easier.

Last edited by raymond2; 11-18-2012 at 10:29 PM..

Old 11-18-2012, 10:26 PM

14,380 posts, read 19,160,414 times
Hurricane Sandy is causing problems for NY and NJ.

• Quote:
    Claimant Extension Date Many Unemployment Insurance claimants were unable to certify for their weekly benefits due to the loss of power and phone service. The Department of Labor will extend the date of certification of unemployment benefits for people impacted by Hurricane Sandy. Individuals need to call 1-888-209-8124 as soon as possible and speak to an agent to receive benefits for the prior week. If you are unable to access a phone to obtain benefits, you can visit any of the agency’s One-Stop Career Centers.
NY one-stop career centers:

One-Stop Career Centers - New York State Department of Labor

You may have better luck going to one of their offices than trying the phone.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:49 PM

4,404 posts, read 5,459,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolzz90210 View Post
its been more than 5 weeks that i have claimed and i have not received any payment.
I got a mail stating my pay 2 weeks back, nothing after that.
Does anyone knows how long does it take for the process and when should i expect the payment.

NY unemployment telephone line is automated machine & after series of interlinked menus it hangs up on you with no answers. If anyone has an answer, PLEASE HELP!
Nothing for all 5 weeks? You are a little unclear...but either way, I think it is the smartest move to go to a one-stop center and speak with someone.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:38 PM

8,842 posts, read 12,557,840 times
Does NYC even have One-stop career centers?

Old 11-19-2012, 11:30 PM

4,404 posts, read 5,459,577 times
One-Stop Career Centers - New York State Department of Labor

Old 09-10-2013, 01:38 PM

3 posts, read 39,882 times
Default NJ- Unemployment hasnt made a decision for giving me my claim

Im new to this but im trying to get some info on this process..smh. At the end of june i was incarcerated in didnt get out until the middle of july. Since i was in so long I lost my job of 3 yrs but had kept in contact with them while i was in there thru my fiance. My job loved me being there but had to let me go bc they needed someone to fill my position. The HR woman that im a friend of said they had to let me go but would put it in as "job abandonment" so i could return there in a year bc if i was fired i wldnt be able to return..but told me collect unemployment and that she would send me info on it.
To make a long story short unemployment penalized me 6 weeks and then i had an interview and the lady was real nasty. I told her the situation and everything and she said a decision wld be made and if i didnt receive a denial letteri wld have my money in my acct in 5-7 days (which hasnt happened). I called them today, which is 7 days after and they said a decision still hasnt been made. I am backed up on my bills like no other! Does amyone kno how long this will take for a decision to come or me receiving my money? And if I have to appeal how would it work bc my employer already said they dont kno what the problem is and that i shouldve gotten my money. Thanks in advance for the answers.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:54 PM

14,380 posts, read 19,160,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russell777 View Post
Im new to this but im trying to get some info on this process..smh. At the end of june i was incarcerated in didnt get out until the middle of july. Since i was in so long I lost my job of 3 yrs but had kept in contact with them while i was in there thru my fiance. My job loved me being there but had to let me go bc they needed someone to fill my position. The HR woman that im a friend of said they had to let me go but would put it in as "job abandonment" so i could return there in a year bc if i was fired i wldnt be able to return..but told me collect unemployment and that she would send me info on it.

To make a long story short unemployment penalized me 6 weeks and then i had an interview and the lady was real nasty. I told her the situation and everything and she said a decision wld be made and if i didnt receive a denial letteri wld have my money in my acct in 5-7 days (which hasnt happened). I called them today, which is 7 days after and they said a decision still hasnt been made. I am backed up on my bills like no other! Does amyone kno how long this will take for a decision to come or me receiving my money? And if I have to appeal how would it work bc my employer already said they dont kno what the problem is and that i shouldve gotten my money. Thanks in advance for the answers.
You should be hearing from NJ this week. If you are denied and need to appeal, it may be 3-4 months, or longer, before NJ can hear your appeal.

Frankly, the issue of 'job abandonment' is a concern. Although "job abandonment" doesn't rise to the level of gross misconduct, in most states it is a reason for denial of benefits. Doesn't matter if your employer isn't contesting. NJ can determine you are not eligible, anyway, if they determine the "job abandonment" is a disqualifier.

Let us know happens. Good luck.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
You should be hearing from NJ this week. If you are denied and need to appeal, it may be 3-4 months, or longer, before NJ can hear your appeal.

Frankly, the issue of 'job abandonment' is a concern. Although "job abandonment" doesn't rise to the level of gross misconduct, in most states it is a reason for denial of benefits. Doesn't matter if your employer isn't contesting. NJ can determine you are not eligible, anyway, if they determine the "job abandonment" is a disqualifier.

I will..thanks

Old 09-11-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post

I got denied unemployment so i guess i'll have to fight it but idk how its gonna go bc I have to turn myself in to do 6 months in november smh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment