Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 12:15 AM

6 posts, read 20,493 times

Advertisements

In July 2012 I had been on Michigan UE for 1 year, I had 8 weeks left of Tier II. I had to do what we all do at 1 year, file a new claim. Did this by phone, somehow, someway, I had enough income for another 16.5 weeks of regular UE, not a Tier but just the regular weeks paid by MI & hopefully my previous employer.

As far as the automatic switch from State (MI) to Federal (Tiers), mine was not. I had to call & waste numerous phone minutes over & over b/c the system actually picks up to tell you the system is busy & to call back.

For Tier I, I had to call, they told me my claim was "stuck" & had not automatically switched to Tier I, w/ no further explanation. In July I filed the new claim for 16.5 weeks of MI UE. I had 8 weeks still left of Tier II, wouldn't my claim now revert back to the tiers?

I called them yet again last week, finally got through, I was told again something about it being stuck & they had to "unlock" my claim. So I was paid for that .5 week of MI, then not paid for the 2nd week, which was back on Tier II. The online Marvin system shows I have 0 UE left, nothing about tiers, & the automatic phone in says the same thing. It seems the employee may or may not have unlocked my claim.

But all of this is supposed to be automated. From my experience here in MI it is not, at all. Should I keep wasting phone minutes to try to get them on the phone again, or is there some kind of delay that none of us are told about. On paper, it shows it's automatic & a smooth transition, but that has not been the case for me. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 05:50 AM

9 posts, read 30,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asylum023 View Post
In July 2012 I had been on Michigan UE for 1 year, I had 8 weeks left of Tier II. I had to do what we all do at 1 year, file a new claim. Did this by phone, somehow, someway, I had enough income for another 16.5 weeks of regular UE, not a Tier but just the regular weeks paid by MI & hopefully my previous employer.

As far as the automatic switch from State (MI) to Federal (Tiers), mine was not. I had to call & waste numerous phone minutes over & over b/c the system actually picks up to tell you the system is busy & to call back.

For Tier I, I had to call, they told me my claim was "stuck" & had not automatically switched to Tier I, w/ no further explanation. In July I filed the new claim for 16.5 weeks of MI UE. I had 8 weeks still left of Tier II, wouldn't my claim now revert back to the tiers?

I called them yet again last week, finally got through, I was told again something about it being stuck & they had to "unlock" my claim. So I was paid for that .5 week of MI, then not paid for the 2nd week, which was back on Tier II. The online Marvin system shows I have 0 UE left, nothing about tiers, & the automatic phone in says the same thing. It seems the employee may or may not have unlocked my claim.

But all of this is supposed to be automated. From my experience here in MI it is not, at all. Should I keep wasting phone minutes to try to get them on the phone again, or is there some kind of delay that none of us are told about. On paper, it shows it's automatic & a smooth transition, but that has not been the case for me. Thanks!
I have not been through the situation you are dealing with. However, I can offer you some suggestions for not wasting your phone minutes. First, you can visit the nearest Michigan Works office and use the phone for unemployed claimants. If that is inconvenient, you can submit your questions using the UIA online services claim portal inquiry option. Be prepared to wait at least 3-4 days for a response.

I hope ever thing works out for you.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:15 AM

Thanks, yes I tried the online questions/inquiry. Like others I used to get a reply in 2 days tops. Now it says "pending" & has not been answered in nearly 2 weeks.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:42 AM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asylum023 View Post
Thanks, yes I tried the online questions/inquiry. Like others I used to get a reply in 2 days tops. Now it says "pending" & has not been answered in nearly 2 weeks.
Get yourself to a MI office or keep calling. Online email in this situation is most likely a waste of time. People who respond to the emails generally don't "unstick" claims. We did have a MI poster a while back with multiple claims, similar to your situation. At every transition he got out ahead of the problem and called MI to make sure things were on track. It appears you will need to do the same.

Part of the problem is whenever you begin another level of EUC, MI needs to do another monetary evaluation for new claim eligibility, even though you've just opened a second claim. Most states handle this without a problem. It just may be MI needs a prod every time.

Good luck.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:05 PM

Thanks everyone! I just got the letter to sign up for EUC & says it will "automatically" switch me over. It also says to sign up online, but I did that in the spring when my 1st regular claim ran out. Seems every switch I have to contact them for the "unstick" or to move the claim along.

I will see next week when they update the online information, if it's not there, I will go into the office. It does not say on the letter if I will resume Tier II w/ the 8 outstanding weeks, like I believe is happening in other states, or if I get on the new platform of EUC & start w/ the new Tier I.

I will update once I find out. I still have not a clue how I was eligible for a 2nd claim given the past year I was obviously on UE. It was slightly less than the full amount per week MI offers, but got it nonetheless.

And for everyone fired, don't give up! I was "fired" from my last job & b/c of a story too long to tell here, I was able to get my former employer to say I was fired thru no fault of my own, that they had not trained me properly. So there is that avenue open for you!

Old 11-21-2012, 02:32 PM

Michigan will NOT pay tier benefits from your current claim. Under EUC regs, MI must exhaust EUC benefits from earlier claims, first.

Further, that second claim at 16.5 weeks may not qualify for EUC tier benefits. In MI, you need either 20 weeks of earnings for this new claim, or the total base-year earnings for this new claim must equal or exceed earnings from the highest quarter used in the base-year. Also, if that claim does qualify for EUC, you must begin EUC from that claim before its bye in July 2013. In other words, you need to exhaust EUC from Claim 1 first. If, for one reason or another, you are still exhausting Claim 1 EUC at the bye of Claim 2, any EUC from Claim 2 is lost.

Keep in mind, without federal action, all benefits end 12/29/2012. We are waiting now for some idea on what Congress will do.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:43 PM

Yes I am waiting to see what the govt. will do as well. Obviously many of us on here are collecting unemployment due to circumstances with the economy, not being lazy as some may think. Heck, I was almost done w/ my Master's Degree! I have a Bachelor's, but in Metro Detroit it's mainly auto jobs, I actually did work at Ford World HQ for just over 2 years many years back.

I figured it would pick the EUC up from the 1st claim, I had read in other states that is what was happening. Which is ok b/c for me, at least, that was the full weekly benefit amount you could receive in MI, my 2nd year claim, the 16.5 weeks, was about $45 less per week. So if it goes back up, that is good, I will just end up owing the IRS even more money that I don't have!

Old 11-26-2012, 11:07 AM

Hello everyone, well after my 2nd claim, my claim went back to the 1st claim amount & right back onto Tier II. My Tier II had 8 weeks left, which is what it shows. It is also back up to the full amount of $724 every 2 weeks, which is what it was originally at.

I guess the 2 weeks I claimed when I had 1/2 of a week left only on the claim, the 2nd week I will not be paid anything. It seems for the 2 weeks claimed, it must either be all on state or all on federal. So I got paid 1/2 a week, then nothing, then back to normal of 2 weeks & showing I have applied for work. It is all a bit confusing. I hope they do extend the benefits.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:53 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,220,186 times
I know that this is an older thread but I really felt fustration over our experience with the Michigan Unemployment system.

My hubby exhausted his first 20 weeks. He was online doing his job searches, filling out his claim forms, and everything looked fine. He submitted his claim, and it said that the deposit would be made in it's normal way. Then I realized almost 2 weeks later that his deposit had not been put in our account. No warning on the web site logging in his account. No mailed warning or instructions.

Well what happened was Michigan does not automatically enroll a person into the tiers, you HAVE to go to a Michigan Unemployment office. Fortunately, the worker who took care of him yesterday took care of everything, explained everything, and hopefully he will get paid next week for the weeks he was not paid.

Oh he also has to take some sort of class right away, or they will cut his benefits.

I just wanted to share our experience, and when you know that you have exhausted your time go to a resolution office, it is not worth it to assume.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:30 AM

MI should have sent you a letter two weeks before your husband exhausted his state benefits, per this (can't copy the text, or I'd paste it here):

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ui...f_407296_7.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment