U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-03-2013, 03:40 PM

11 posts, read 25,095 times

Advertisements

Now that EUC has been extended through 2013, I am wondering about Tier 4 in Michigan. I have two weeks left on Tier 3 and would like to know if that will be my last check or if I will be able to go on to Tier 4. I do not understand the 3 month look back and would really appreciate anyone who can give me an answer. Thanks so much.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 04:14 PM

14,384 posts, read 19,182,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papillon2126 View Post
Now that EUC has been extended through 2013, I am wondering about Tier 4 in Michigan. I have two weeks left on Tier 3 and would like to know if that will be my last check or if I will be able to go on to Tier 4. I do not understand the 3 month look back and would really appreciate anyone who can give me an answer.
MI's mandatory "ON" period for Tier 4 ends January 5, 2013. However, its 3-month UE rate remains above 9%. Therefore, even if MI's 3-mo. UE rate falls below 9% with Jan. 18th job numbers, eligibility for MI Tier 4 will continue until February 9, at least.
Quote:
  • Michigan began a 13 week mandatory "on" period in Tier 4 of EUC08 on October 7, 2012. Based on the most recent releases of state unemployment rates from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Michigan continues to meet the 9.0% threshold rate necessary to remain "on" in Tier 4 of EUC08. As a result, they will continue to be in a payable period in Tier 4 however they are now eligible to trigger "off" in Tier 4 after January 5, 2013.
Office of Unemployment Insurance, Employment & Training Administration (ETA) - U.S. Department of Labor
Therefore, if you exhaust Tier 3 in the next few weeks, you will move to Tier 4 and will receive all ten weeks, even if MI triggers off Tier 4 in February.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:18 AM

Thank you Adriadne22 for your reply. I am sorry to be a pest but I just need a bit more clarification. Are you saying that when Tier 3 ends for me on January 12th that I will automatically transition to Tier 4? Also, that I will be able to get all 10 weeks? I thought that I read somewhere that it was now 7 weeks?

Also, should Michigan be up to speed with Tier 4? I have always had to call and speak to someone when transitioning the tiers, for some reason it would not happen online. I don't mind calling but I just don't want to be asking about Tier 4 if they aren't aware of Michigan's eligibility.

Once again thank you for sharing your knowledge with us.

Old 01-04-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Are you saying that when Tier 3 ends for me on January 12th that I will automatically transition to Tier 4?
Yes.

Quote:
Also, that I will be able to get all 10 weeks? I thought that I read somewhere that it was now 7 weeks?
You are correct for MI. Because MI only pays max 20 weeks benefits, its Tier 4 is 39% of that, or 7 weeks.

Quote:
Also, should Michigan be up to speed with Tier 4? I have always had to call and speak to someone when transitioning the tiers, for some reason it would not happen online.
Have you checked MI's website. This is posted there:
Quote:
The program has been extended until January 1, 2014. Claimants who had an EUC claim with a remaining balance beyond December 29, 2012, should continue to certify for benefit payments by phone or online through the Michigan Automated Voice Interactive Network (MARVIN) on their regular appointment dates and times. No other action needs to be taken by claimants.

http://www.michigan.gov/uia/0,4680,7-118-40455-274107--,00.html
You can also download an explanation of the EUC program off the MI website, here:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ui...f_407296_7.pdf

Old 01-11-2013, 11:10 PM

2 posts, read 8,458 times
if i just ran out of weeks, but i can open up a new benefit year in 3 weeks, should i even bother w/ euc?

Old 01-12-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgebutter View Post
if i just ran out of weeks, but i can open up a new benefit year in 3 weeks, should i even bother w/ euc?
Michigan right now is paying all 4 tiers. EUC, prorated on MI's initial benefit of 20 weeks, can add up to another 36 weeks' benefits to your claim in MI.

Yes, you should establish EUC - unless you know this new claim will provide a much better benefit than the one you are currently receiving. I assume you've been working, since it has taken you almost a year to exhaust MI's 20 week benefit.

Otherwise, establishing EUC on this claim may be very important to you in the future if your new claim doesn't qualify for EUC or is a smaller claim. Further, if the new claim has a benefit of $100 or 25% lower than your present claim, if you've established EUC, under HR4213 you can defer payment on the new, lower paying state claim, and continue benefits on the higher claim.

Never pass up EUC. Unless you KNOW the new claim will provide a much better benefit.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:20 PM

2 posts, read 8,458 times
THANKS Ariadne22, Please read you seem very knowledgeable about this, again thx for your time!

Yes i have been working, there are just some weeks where there is no work or just do not make enough...so i call marvin.

Im asking this bc i figure i will run out in early june, but my benefit yr ends june 29, so i can re open one july 1st.
I am asking bc i noticed you have to prove your looking for a job and maybe go to some seminar, but it takes around 2 weeks to get the proper paper work from unemployment in michigan, then another week or so to get it to them, by then it will be july and i will be able to open a new benefit year. My BIGGEST worry is that unemployment will get there Lines crossed and my new benefit yr could be messed up, and i dont want to have to prove i am looking for another job and go threw the hassle ALL next year on my new benefit yr bc i opened euc. Right now i just call marvin when i need no hassle, eventho i am looking for a 2nd job i dont have to prove it and waste my time. As far as doing that work for euc i wouldnt mind, i just dont want to have some big headache going from euc to my new benefit year

as far as it being worth it to use euc, i was told i have a couple weeks of euc from tier 1 from 2008 or 2009 she said that i would us and that amt was 362, as ofor my benefit yr i am getting 225, and my new benefit year (come july 2013) it will either be 225 ro less.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:36 PM

My comments in bold:
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgebutter View Post
Im asking this bc i figure i will run out in early june, but my benefit yr ends june 29, so i can re open one july 1st.

If you are collecting EUC, MI will do this automatically for you, if you qualify, even before your June bye. You have no choice in when to open a new claim when you are collecting EUC. EUC regs require you be tested for new claim eligibility quarterly. MI will do that now before it pays your EUC.

I am asking bc i noticed you have to prove your looking for a job and maybe go to some seminar, but it takes around 2 weeks to get the proper paper work from unemployment in michigan, then another week or so to get it to them, by then it will be july and i will be able to open a new benefit year. My BIGGEST worry is that unemployment will get there Lines crossed and my new benefit yr could be messed up, and i dont want to have to prove i am looking for another job and go threw the hassle ALL next year on my new benefit yr bc i opened euc.

You are worrying about nothing. You can't control this anyway, so stop thinking about it. If MI messes up, you deal with it at the time.

Right now i just call marvin when i need no hassle, eventho i am looking for a 2nd job i dont have to prove it and waste my time. As far as doing that work for euc i wouldnt mind, i just dont want to have some big headache going from euc to my new benefit year

You are worrying about nothing.

as far as it being worth it to use euc, i was told i have a couple weeks of euc from tier 1 from 2008 or 2009 she said that i would us and that amt was 362, as ofor my benefit yr i am getting 225, and my new benefit year (come july 2013) it will either be 225 ro less.

So, you are better off with your old EUC. Good. You will continue to collect the earlier EUC off and on until exhausted. If you get a new state claim, you will collect that. Whatever is left of the old $362 EUC still remains for further use. Yea.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:09 AM

I received my Determination of Benefit Entitlement letter today for Tier 4 in Michigan. It was effective 1-13-2013. I was awarded 10 weeks instead of the 7 weeks that I had been expecting. Needless to say, this was a very pleasant surprise. Does anyone know if Michigan has triggered off (Tier 4) since then?

Old 01-18-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
I received my Determination of Benefit Entitlement letter today for Tier 4 in Michigan. It was effective 1-13-2013. I was awarded 10 weeks instead of the 7 weeks that I had been expecting. Needless to say, this was a very pleasant surprise. Does anyone know if Michigan has triggered off (Tier 4) since then?
Check your original monetary determination for the claim which is paying your Tier 4. Tier 4 is 39% of the original monetary determination, divided by your weekly benefit to arrive at the number of weeks. If your claim began before MI reduced its maximum benefit to 20 weeks (Jan. 2012, I believe), then you are eligible for a maximum of 10 weeks, assuming your original claim paid 26 weeks. It appears it has.

MI has a TUR of 9.1% and is paying Tier 4. Now that you have transitioned to Tier 4, you can exhaust those benefits even if MI later triggers off.

Emergency Unemployment Compensation Trigger Notice Report
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment