Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 11:22 PM

2 posts, read 3,578 times

Advertisements

I signed up for a temp agency that places substitute teachers but really you have to log onto your computer to look for jobs on their website; so they really don't place you; however if you don't work 4 times in a month, they no longer allow you to look for anymore jobs for that school year; I started with them October 1st and haven't been able to secure one day; however agency did file my I-4 form so Unemployment will see the form was filed but there are no earnings; what will happen if I can't work 4 days this month and I no longer am allowed to look for jobs with them and UI in NJ asks me what happened with them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 10:02 AM

42 posts, read 87,267 times
This won't effect unemployment, and Im sure you already know this. The agency does not know your UI claimant status, and they will not report you to the DOL or anything. If I cancel an appointmernt with a Temp agency, I would tell them I have another interview for a permanent position. This way, I leave it open for a reschedule and don't burn any bridges with the Temp agency. If the DOL had to call every company that each claimant applied to, they would have no time for anything else.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:55 PM

69 posts, read 141,343 times
When you say registered, do you mean they you filled out an I-4 tax form? Did you fill out any tax forms?

Old 10-15-2013, 10:21 PM

35 posts, read 185,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess987 View Post
This won't effect unemployment, and Im sure you already know this. The agency does not know your UI claimant status, and they will not report you to the DOL or anything. If I cancel an appointmernt with a Temp agency, I would tell them I have another interview for a permanent position. This way, I leave it open for a reschedule and don't burn any bridges with the Temp agency. If the DOL had to call every company that each claimant applied to, they would have no time for anything else.
I'm wondering about this as well. How exactly does the DOL find out?

So if temp agencies (recruiters) begin calling me all the time, offering job descriptions, which may not necessarily fit your profile, DOL will find out and this will affect your UE?

Old 10-16-2013, 03:35 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,079,420 times
The temp agencies use the "report fraud" link and turn you in. That's how the state finds out.

Old 10-16-2013, 06:39 AM

109 posts, read 424,349 times
As another poster suggested earlier, just make sure you note you were not available for work that day and all should be well. As long as you don't make a habit of cancelling interviews again you should be fine.

Carol-Lynn

Old 10-16-2013, 06:43 AM

109 posts, read 424,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachhoops View Post
I signed up for a temp agency that places substitute teachers but really you have to log onto your computer to look for jobs on their website; so they really don't place you; however if you don't work 4 times in a month, they no longer allow you to look for anymore jobs for that school year; I started with them October 1st and haven't been able to secure one day; however agency did file my I-4 form so Unemployment will see the form was filed but there are no earnings; what will happen if I can't work 4 days this month and I no longer am allowed to look for jobs with them and UI in NJ asks me what happened with them?
I'm a sub here in California. Been doing this for almost thirty years. Believe me, districts will not purge you from their system for not working if they are not offering you any jobs. They will purge you for not working because you keep refusing jobs or are routinely making yourself unavailable. Relax.

Carol-Lynn

Old 10-16-2013, 11:53 AM

35 posts, read 185,401 times
On this topic, if I held a full-time position before being laid off, can I be selective in only pursuing full time roles? As many temp roles are project based and fixed duration. For example, if you have 6 months left on UI, and there's a 2 or 3 month temp opportunity. I am curious if you could be penalized for not pursuing temp roles, or shunning them completely, since you would be "unemployed" again when the project ends, with the possibility of losing my benefits, etc etc.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:12 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,079,420 times
While on UI for the most part, you are in complete control of the work you apply for. The state laws do typically contain language about your job search, but only if the STATE (not your friend, old employer, neighbor, mother in law, etc.) directs you to do anything different, you still remain in complete control of the jobs you apply for. You are protected under federal guidelines that you are not required to accept anything that is "substantially less than prevailing." While many people do break this rule, if the temp job is substantially less favorable for the type of work that you do, you don't have to apply for it, let alone accept it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment