U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2013, 10:06 AM

4 posts, read 9,486 times

Advertisements

California EDD >

I was initially denied Unemployment Benefits so I started working a Part-Time job while I appealed the decision. I just won my appeal and I am now being awarded benefits.

How do I quit my part time job?

It's a telemarketing job where I have to call people in their homes and ask for money for charities. I am not very comfortable doing it, but I am not doing very bad at the job. I need to be able take weekdays off to look for work in other cities, but I can't because I am still new.

I do not want to lose my benefits.

How do I quit this telemarketing job and not lose my Unemployment?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 10:21 AM

13,014 posts, read 19,391,640 times
Based on why you want to quit, that doesn't rise to the level of a good cause quit.

If your part time earnings are less than you'd get on UI, you can keep filing for your partial benefit, and hope the place lets you go.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:26 AM

It's a telemarketing job... If I underperform at my fundraising duties, they will let me go.

Will that constitute misconduct?

And if they do let me go, will it effect my benefits?

Old 01-11-2013, 11:36 AM

Poor performance is NOT misconduct. It'll only affect your benefits in the sense that they will stop paying you while they investigate, and if the investigation is in your favor (which it most certainly will be), they will pay you for the skipped checks and you'll be on your merry way.

The rub is that you had to take this crap job because you couldn't afford to be without a check while awaiting your appeal, and you'll be in the same boat after you get fired for misconduct from this job.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:34 PM

So what is the best strategy? Should I just start underperforming on the phones until they let me go?

I would like to continue receiving benefits long-term while I seek full-time employment in my field. This will require me going all over California.

When I am let go from the part-time job, will my benefits stop right away?

Are there any other options for my situation?

Old 01-11-2013, 06:20 PM

There is no best strategy anymore. The best strategy would have been to never apply or failing that accepting the job in the first place because it was more than likely unsuitable, but once you take it, you have to find a way to get let go.

I don't know what's on a CA claim form, but in AZ, after you report the earnings there is a question for "are you still working there" and if the answer is no, you have to provide details, and that can quickly kill a claim until the investigation is complete.

Get a credit card, borrow from friends or family, or save your money so that you can get by while your benefits are held up.

Old 01-11-2013, 10:14 PM

4,402 posts, read 11,602,964 times
Don;t just start crashing and burning. If it were me, I would start to request time off to go to interviews. Or something like that. It worries me that you were doing a good job and then started doing a bad job as soon as you got benefits...

Old 01-11-2013, 11:14 PM

67 posts, read 170,512 times
I would somehow think requesting time off would favor the employer in terms of a misconduct/not accepting all work offered. I'm not sure requesting time off is wise, I know in my past cases, the employer would have marked "did not accept all work offered" if I did that.

Living in Hawaii, having a prt time job is a necessity for many people. I had a situation much like OPs 4 years ago in 2009. I had a full time job. I needed extra money for a short time so signed up with one of the telemarketing/survery firms. Minumum hours were told to us, evening and a weekend day. Two weeks after starting this I was laid off my my full time job.

At first I was glad to have this PT position although I had to submit a Low Earnings Report each week from the manager. Totally doable. Well, I got a letter one day that my UI was on hold because the Mgr reported me Not accepting all work offered. I checked my past hours, I worked the 3 evenings and the Saturday. Well, it turns out since it was a 7 day per week operation, the fact that I did not "choose" both saturday and sunday and more hours in the evening, made him report me as not acc epting all work offered.. UI said they were told that it is up to me to schedule as many hours as I like. True. But no one ever told me I had to choose more than what I was told to work. VERY VERY Vague. I disputed it. Had a supervisor there back me up, that we are scheduled by the supervisor, not the manager, and that I selected what I was supposed to. So, me and another woman on UI were working both saturday and sunday, sometimes double hours on the weekend (sometimes 12 hours were offered on weekends. Yep, we had to take them). I had sympathetic supervisors who would only schedule me for 3 evenings or 4 once in a while and one weekend on occasion, but still UI could and would not give me any advice on 'how many hours I was supposed to take". It was awful lol. Dialing that phone and asking people to take a survey. I knew I could have done poorly and not did many surveys, it was totally dependent on the people saying yes to do them. Not my fault lol. We had a quota to meet as well. But, its just not my style to work that way in terms of working too poorly, but I thought about it... But it still was somewhat lucrative. I had the days free to look, I was able to extend my UI by working a PT job as Hawaii lets you keep $150 of PT wages and collect full benefits. It was just mindless work, and it was fine for a temporary thing, but once I was on UI, I could not quit it just because I didn't like it. I was stuck with it unless I found something better.

Since it was $9 hour, I had to find ANY kind of job pt or otherwise to make it alright to change to another job and not jeopardize my benefits. I found a $12 PT job per week and that satisfied UI so I could quit that horrific telemarketing job. I would never do a telemarkting job while on UI if could avoid it,

Old 01-11-2013, 11:17 PM

4,402 posts, read 11,602,964 times
Requesting time off is in no way misconduct.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:35 PM

Well, I'm picturing the employer saying, "no, you can't take the time off to get your dream job," and then the claimant calling in sick to go get that dream job.

This is another story of why I didn't apply for a job that I knew I wouldn't want for the rest of my life why I was waiting to get that first UI check. Now, that my benefits are over, I feel very differently about crap jobs and would gladly accept one because I have nothing to lose now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or