Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2013, 09:29 PM

57 posts, read 108,662 times

Advertisements

I plan to voluntarily quit in order to serve as a caregiver. I was wondering if I meet all the elements of a voluntary quit in receiving UI under CA's constraint.

Voluntary Quit VQ 5 - Elements of a Voluntary Quit

I do not want to continue working with the company once my caregiving duties are done, thus I just want to come to a closure by voluntarily quitting. However, I have expressed the want to retain the employee-employer relationship as this is one of clauses to fulfill. This leave will be my second leave (the first leave I took about 4 months back for about 3 months, so I utilized the entire 3 months given under the FMLA). Thus, I believe I have exhausted all my options. However, my employer is willing to bring me onto the team once my caregiving duties are over, most likely with another dept.

1) Can I file for UI immediately upon quitting, or must I wait until I am able and available to actively seek full-time work? I presume the caregiving duties will be about 3 weeks.

2) One of the requirements that must be met is that the claimant must have quit given that is the only reasonable alternative open to the claimant. If they are willing to bring me back onto the team once I am done caregiving (about 3 weeks once I am able and available), does this automatically disqualify me from UI?

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment