Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 04:03 PM

11 posts, read 26,806 times

Advertisements

Im 28 years old recently fired from Goodson Trucking based out of Springhill TN, because of the owners poor business practices. I was there exactly 88 days. NEVER LATE, NEVER MISSED a day. I held A C.D.L. position there also worked the dock. I honestly work hard (lol) everyone says that but I really do. Heres What Happened, The owners brother started there the day before I was fired he was on days his first day while I was on nights he was hired as a regular worker. On his second day he was moved to nights with me and another employee, within 2 hours of shift start he called his sister the owner and told her I was reckless, damaging property, and not following company policy, mind u I knew this guy 2 hours, never seen him before that. The owner (sister) calls the night supervisor at home and has him drive up there, an hour drive for him, and terminate me no questions asked. this was on 11-29-2012. Me and the night supervisor were cool so I knew what happened so I fill for UE. I get denied. I appeal. Well just completed the phone appeal thing yesterday 1-23-2013 with the night supervisor there as my witness I drove to his house to make it easier for him and me. I have never done this before I was nervous and did not want to speak to the former employer but I need money. So UE appeals called me first stated who they were and said wait so they could call the other interested party She answers seemingly no idea we were going to be calling her (the owner) she has no witness and no documentation as there was never any anyways. They ask her to go first and this is all very facillitated appeals ask her did u see him do damage, act careless, and not follow policy her answer since she was not there was no. She needed her brother to testify against me not herself even shes the owner. the appeals lady then asked me I quote since mrs. Goodson seems to know nothing do u have anything to add I simply said no. My witness was never needed and it took 5 min for the whole trial to complete. By the way the former night supervisor quit a week after i was fired and the brother who got me fired is now supervisor big suprise lol. he was there 2 months before being promoted blood in a lot thicker than water. Now the reason for my thread. If not for my beautiful bride we would have starved, she was able to get a job right away how does the UE ins. paid for by employers to protect workers expect u to live 3 months with no income. awaiting appeals or whatever, theres got to be a better way. Still not sure if I won the appeals. Thanks for Reading trying to get the bull with UE to stop I would be appealing from the shelters if I was not married and I got a CDL worked all my life this is my first unemployment filling ever.

Last edited by JMT; 01-24-2013 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: removed inappropriate language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 05:17 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Sounds like this was a set-up to get the brother a job and get you - the extra person - off the payroll.

It hardly is, anymore, how well you do the job. Instead, it is who you know.

Good luck. Let us know what happens with the appeal.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:24 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,061,750 times
Happens all the time. Just imagine living in a state like NJ where after getting denied by a deputy that it takes 6 months to get an appeal.

Old 01-24-2013, 05:27 PM

306 posts, read 757,941 times
Why were you denied benefits, did they say?

Old 01-24-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterStar View Post
Why were you denied benefits, did they say?
Because the employer accused him of misconduct, which, on appeal, they couldn't prove. In the majority of cases, when an employer accuses an employee of misconduct, the state denies, unless there is strong evidence at the initial examination the accusation is bogus.

It appears, OP will win his benefits.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:30 PM

Thank you all for the support and questions. I just think if the unemployment system is this difficult or should I say time consuming they should either cancel it all together or give you a set amount for a set time of lets say 2 months for general cost of living regardless of what the reason is for termination. Like I said this is my first rodeo with unemployment. When I was terminated I had relief knowing unemployment was there to help, but that has not been the case. Most states are "at will" states which means you can be fired for any reason. I always said if you really want a job just go get one there easy to find. Now in my current position unless im willing to work for 7.25 - 10 an hour there is nothing out there. I have applied for many commercial driving jobs but you have to be a OTR driver to make any real money. I have 4 kids and a wife, sorry they mean more to me than being gone 2 and 3 weeks at a time. All local positions start around 8 and 10 dollars. between child care and gas I bring home 100 dollars a week at 10 dollars an hour. Thank god 4 a spouse who is willing to get out there and pick up where I left off. I really understand how all the single moms and dads feel now. I dont know how you do it.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:28 PM

I won the appeal!

Old 01-27-2013, 11:19 PM

306 posts, read 757,941 times
Great news, I'm happy for you!

Old 01-29-2013, 02:49 AM

Now does anyone have any idea how long it takes to recieve the funds, Direct Deposit. Its been 4 days since I recieved the approval letter.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:14 PM

Funds won are appeal are rarely deposited quickly - usually never in four days. Some states are better than others. First the appeal decision needs to move back down the line to whomever updates the computer database before you can get paid. In some states, that process can take a very long time. It is often necessary to call the state and fax in the decision letter you've received to bypass the red tape.

If you can get through on the phones, I suggest you call. If you are stonewalled - contact your state representative immediately and tell them you desperately need your money. That usually results in success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment