Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 07:23 PM

16 posts, read 50,078 times

Advertisements

January 24, 2013 or after we avoided falling off the "CLIFF"

Hi everyone!

I thought it would be easy to get an answer to my situation but I need help

I live in Southern California and am still waiting for any kind of response from the 2 emails I've sent to the EDD I also spent the entire afternoon dialing and redialing and redialing their phone number only to get no where... Also, no kind of notice in the mail from them either!

In March 2009 I was laid off at the start of the recession. I exhausted my 26 weeks of State UI benefits and all but 1 week of my EUC benefits.

In April 2010 I got a wonderful job for an amazing non-profit. Fast forward - the State of California eliminated the funding for the programs administered by my employer when they passed the 2012-13 State budget so there was a RIF and I was laid off again. So I was gainfully employed for 2 years and 2 months between the periods of unemployment.

My 26 weeks of State UI benefits ran out at the end of December 2012 for the second period of unemployment. I then received a claim form for one week which I filed and was paid for. I received a notice in the mail from the EDD informing me of the following:

"Claim expires: 02-27-10"
"Your extension is exhausted. You may be eligible for another extension. No action is needed on your part. If you are eligible, it will be automatically filed for you. You will be notified by mail, and you will be mailed claims forms."

I have figured out that the payment I received is the balance from my first period of unemployment BUT what I really need to know is am I eligible for EUC benefits from my second period of unemployment which started in 2012?

According to the schedule posted on the EDD web site I am seeing this information (abbreviated to fit this format):

"Here is a breakdown of the federal extension benefits and the total maximum weeks of unemployment benefits available in California. The total number of potential maximum weeks of benefits available depends on when your regular UI claim and extensions are filed."

Federal Unemployment Benefit Extensions
Potential Maximum Weeks Of Benefits Provided
Claim/Extension Filing Date May 27 – Aug 26 2012

Regular Claim Up to 26 weeks
Once someone collects all available benefits or the claim ends, whichever occurs first
Tier I Up to 20 weeks
Tier 2 Up to 14 weeks
Tier 3 Up to 13 weeks
Tier 4 Up to 6 weeks
Separate
FED-ED 0 weeks
TOTAL Up to 79 weeks

Not knowing and not being able to get an answer is being to affect my health - can you say Panic Attacks at night and Migraine headaches during the day?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Best regards....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 11:53 PM

25,579 posts, read 56,466,951 times
Yes, you are entitled to EUC benefits on the 2012 claim. Tier benefits available under current legislation are:

Tier 1 - 14 weeks
Tier 2 - 14 weeks
Tier 3 - 09 weeks
Tier 4 - 10 weeks

The levels you posted earlier have been superceded, effective September 2, 2012. See FAQs, post 6.

However, CA needs to exhaust Tier 4 of your 2009 claim, first. Since Tier 4 is now paying 10 weeks (not 6), you should be receiving weeks 6-10 Tier 4 on the 2009 claim before CA can begin to pay you EUC from the 2012 claim.

Complicating your claim are the increased weeks in Tier 4. There have been some delays in CA since the legislative lapse, so I suggest you call (not email) them to see what's going on.

Good tips on the last few pages of this thread:

Tips for getting through to a live body @ California EDD

Old 01-25-2013, 12:56 AM

Hi Ariadne22!

THANK YOU!!!

I saw that you were active on the board and had been reading some of your responses. I was also hoping that you would read and respond to my post!

I had found my award letter so I knew that I could pass the both the Standard Base Period and the Alternative Base Period tests. Whew! I also saw that my Claim ending date was 06/15/2013 so I knew I was okay there as well.

While reading your other posts I saw and had noted the tip for getting through to the EDD by phone. I intend to give it my best shot tomorrow morning as I have an interview (thinking positive thoughts ) tomorrow afternoon.

All this drama started on Thanksgiving Day with all the pre-Cliff gloom and doom. I have read more DOL clarifications to EUC08 than any human should be required to read in a lifetime. The icing on the cake was all the verbiage about Double-dipping. Gesh! Really???? I just wish that California would get its act together and actually HELP its people. According to our "Governor" in today's State of the State message everything is just W O N D E R F U L here in CA... What recession? There's 9.8% unemployment in California?? Yes Jerry!

Again - many thanks!

Last edited by HRShoeGirl; 01-25-2013 at 01:45 AM..

Old 01-25-2013, 01:16 AM

P.S.

Ariadne22 - I just did the math and came up with 14.04 weeks for Tier 1. Had been having a blonde moment but I get it now...

Last edited by HRShoeGirl; 01-25-2013 at 01:25 AM..

Old 01-25-2013, 10:32 AM

January 25, 2013

Tried to get through on the telephone using the tip of 1-3-0 and 1-2-1-1-7 with no luck. EDD has added a message about how they are going to file for you and you don't need to call so maybe that is why those numbers aren't working? If I have time after my interview I think I'll try one of the "One Stop" centers. Am also thinking about the "request a contact" site that the St. of CA has. Last - I'm going to contact my State Senator and Representative - maybe they have some sort of inside track? Need to go and prepare for my interview...

Old 01-25-2013, 12:34 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,316,354 times
I think the codes of 1-3-0 an 1-2-1-1-7 are outdated. If you check the postings toward the end of the thread, you'll find more ways to contact EDD. The Vietnamese line works well, as do some others.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:43 PM

You've Got Mail!!!! and it's from the EDD...

Thought I had this figured out with a little help from my friends but alas being blonde has struck again. Here's part of the letter I received today from the EDD. As it's raining and my mailbox tends to get a little damp I had to wait for the letter to dry out.

"Greetings!" Oppps wrong letter....

"Notice of Third Extension Filed

You qualify for the third federal extension approved by President Obama on November 6, 2009. It has been automatically filed for you effective 01/13/2013. Your weekly benefit amount is $450 and the maximum benefit amount if $4050. No action is required on your part. You will be mailed claim forms.

IMPORTANT: According to federal law, the last date a first, second, third or fourth federal extension can begin is December 23, 2012. Once filed, benefits are potentially payable until a valid new claim can be filed or December 29, 2012, whichever of these occurs first..."

"This means that, based on federal law, you may be eligible for federal extension benefits for weeks of unemployment prior to December 29, 2012, but not for weeks of unemployment that end after December 29, 2012, even if you are still unemployed or have a balance remaining on your federal extension."

Question? Is this all based on the first claim I had in 2009-10 even though I was employed from 04-2010 to 06-2012? The math works out to nine weeks. If it's based on my second claim (started 06-2012) shouldn't I start with the 1st tier? There is no indication anywhere on the letter as to what claim period they are paying me for...

AS the EDD did not pay me for the last week ending on January 5, 2013 I'm assuming (and we all know what it means to assume ) it's a case of too bad-so sad?

Also there was equally soggy EDD claim form for the weeks ending on 01-19-13 and 01-26-13.

I guess the root of my confusion is that as I was laid off on June 22, 2012 the timing was such that my regular State UI ran out while we were perched on the cliff? Should I go to one of those ""One Stop" locations on Monday after my interview? Woo-hoo I have a different interview on Monday! At least the EDD can't say that I'm not looking for work....

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated

It's Friday and I think I hear a glass of wine calling my name...

Old 01-25-2013, 07:34 PM

25,579 posts, read 56,466,951 times
My comments in bold:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRShoeGirl View Post
."Notice of Third Extension Filed

You qualify for the third federal extension approved by President Obama on November 6, 2009. It has been automatically filed for you effective 01/13/2013. Your weekly benefit amount is $450 and the maximum benefit amount if $4050. No action is required on your part. You will be mailed claim forms.

This relates to your 2009 claim and is one of these three:
  1. Tier 3 of the 2009 claim - 09 weeks - to which has been added the 1/5 week for which you were not paid - or
  2. Tier 3 to which has been added the final week of Tier 2 - or
  3. All 10 weeks of Tier 4.
Hard to say. You need to count your weeks received under the 2009 claim exactly. The letter could be wrong when its says "third extension."

Following
quoted language is outdated and based on legislation expiring 12/29, which has since been extended.
Quote:
IMPORTANT: According to federal law, the last date a first, second, third or fourth federal extension can begin is December 23, 2012. Once filed, benefits are potentially payable until a valid new claim can be filed or December 29, 2012, whichever of these occurs first..."

"This means that, based on federal law, you may be eligible for federal extension benefits for weeks of unemployment prior to December 29, 2012, but not for weeks of unemployment that end after December 29, 2012, even if you are still unemployed or have a balance remaining on your federal extension."
This quoted language is outdated and based on legislation expiring 12/29, which has since been extended.

Question? Is this all based on the first claim I had in 2009-10 even though I was employed from 04-2010 to 06-2012? The math works out to nine weeks.

Yes, this is still your 2009 claim. See above.

If it's based on my second claim (started 06-2012) shouldn't I start with the 1st tier? There is no indication anywhere on the letter as to what claim period they are paying me for...

Tier 1 is 14 weeks. This is NOT your 2012 claim. Check your claim forms. They should indicate the claim date.

AS the EDD did not pay me for the last week ending on January 5, 2013 I'm assuming (and we all know what it means to assume ) it's a case of too bad-so sad?

See above.

Also there was equally soggy EDD claim form for the weeks ending on 01-19-13 and 01-26-13.

Good. Send those in. Make a copy. Claim to which these apply should be stated on those forms.

I guess the root of my confusion is that as I was laid off on June 22, 2012 the timing was such that my regular State UI ran out while we were perched on the cliff? Should I go to one of those ""One Stop" locations on Monday after my interview?

If you go, ask about weeks ending 1/5 and 1/12.

You've already got your claim forms for the two weeks after that. You are definitely continuing on the 2009 claim, probably Tier 4. Submit those claims as normal.

Frankly, I would leave well enough alone and not bother again until you need to resume EUC from the 2012 claim in 10 weeks.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:14 PM

Ariadne22 - You are awesome!!! The soggy EDD claim form has dried out and it says that the Claim expires 02-27-2010. My heartfelt thanks for all of your assistance. I think I'm going to follow your advice and take a wait and see stance before I stir the pot up.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:55 PM

Default January 26, 2013

Hi!

It's a beautiful day in my neighborhood... My favorite quote is attributed to Lucretius and goes like this:

“We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another.” {/o\}

I've been spending a little time thinking about all the angst this situation caused me and what a relief it was to find this forum as well as a contributor who I consider to be a SME (Subject Matter Expert) on EUC.

I can relate to others of you who are experiencing similar situations both here in California as well as in other states. I know people are reading my threads looking for information/answers because the number counter is increasing... My advice to all of you is don't be afraid to put your situation/question out there because you never know from where or whom an answer just might appear.

In wondering how I can contribute as a "newbee" I think I'm going to start out by posting information that applies to those of you living in the Golden State (i.e. California) as that's where I'm located and that's what I know the best. I think I'll do a personal "mini metal" SWOT analysis and see what churns up in my gray matter (brain).

As hard as it is when you just CAN'T get an answer - hang in there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment