Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2013, 07:20 AM

67 posts, read 198,688 times

Advertisements

HI.

I read the sticky, and still am not sure it was covered. I am on Tier 1, started at the end of Dec. My BYE is March 10, 2013 and it took me until end of Dec to exhaust the 26 state benefits. When I went on Tier 1 week ending 12/29, I was approved for Tier 1, which I believe is 14 weeks. They happened to find some old money in a previous claim b ack from 2009 (or 2010) and I began collecting Tier 1 on that prev claim. The monetary amount from that leftover was only enough for six weeks. (pretending I get $400/week, the total of that amount is $2450.. 6x400 + $50 = 2450)

I believe in reading the stickee, that they pay me from an old claim, then when that is over, I am to the next tier (2 I believe). Tier 2 has been stopped in Hawaii. Only Tier 1 is available. Since I am collecting Tier 1 benefits on a 'past' claim, and there is not enough in there to fulfill the 14 weeks (or until my BYE date which is March 10, Do I still get the 'current' Tier 1 when this $2450 from the past tier 1 is exhausted , I understood I do. (i have seen the matrix )

State claim 1 = 26
Tier 1 = 14
Tier 2 = xxx
etc.
State Claim 2 = 26
Tier 1 = 14 etc etc.

My other question, assuming that I get my six weeks of the past Tier 1 and the remainder of Tier 1 of the 2012 claim, that 'leftover' $50 (from my highlighted funds above), will I have one solo $50 check during the transition from old Tier 1 to new tier 1? I do understand you have to exahaust ONE tier (ie Tier 1 to Tier 2 ) completely before beginning a new tier, but I would not be beginning a new tier. That is what confuses me.

When I applied for EUC back in Dec, I was notified that I would be eligible for a new claim starting March 2013 when my 2012 BYE is up.

In essence:

Will be indeed receive funds up until my March 2013 BYE date when I am eligible for a new claim?
Will I have a small one week check from the old Tier 1 transition to the new Tier 1? (There is no Tier 2-4 in Hawaii).

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 12:09 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Yes, you will receive benefits up until your bye. Your order of payment is:

26 wks state benefits - 3/12 claim
xx wks EUC Tier 1 benefits remaining from 2009 Claim
14 wks EUC Tier 1 benefits - 3/12 claim - IF begun before the 3/13 bye.

In other words, if you work and extend payment of your 2009 benefits beyond the date of the 3/13 bye, there are no Tier 1 benefits available to you from the 2012 claim. EUC tiers must begin before the expiration of the claim to which they are attached.

Tiers are allocated by claim and each claim has its own monetary determination. Therefore, you receive the full 14 weeks EUC Tier 1 from the 2012 claim.

Also, you are collecting from two separate claims - 2009 and 2012. Therefore, your last check on the 2009 Tier 1 will be $50 before you begin 2012 Tier 1. Since there is an application process performed by HI before you begin EUC from EACH SEPARATE claim, I think it highly unlikely HI would commingle tiers from two separate claims to give you a whole benefit for that short week. But you could you could call HI and and ask. Some states commingle tiers from the same claim, highly doubt they would do it, however, for two separate claims.

Let us know if you succeed.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 01-31-2013 at 12:20 PM..

Old 02-14-2013, 02:31 AM

67 posts, read 198,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
]IF begun before the 3/13 bye[/b].

Let us know if you succeed.
Thank you again.

Yes, all seems to be well. Last week was my final week of the 2009 Tier 1 claim and I have $53 remaining (I expected this). So I went down to the UI office today and they typed things in and asked for my job search for last week and said when I get the $53 check (which zeroes out my balance), to contact them to collect the remaining Tier 1 from 2012 claim until my March bye date.

They also told me 'without blinking an eye ' to make sure I am aware I am elgible for a new claim beginning in March and to contact them to do so. They literally told me the amount, and it's not much different than my March 2012 claim. I"m guessing it's for 26 weeks .

It was nice to see our UI office virtually empty today, and a few weeks ago when I went. This is now the time though, to make a decision whether to stay in Hawaii or not going forward for a variety of reasons. I just don't want to see myself on another 26 weeks of UI. If something is not working, I need to find something that does. If I didn't have this itty bitty part time job that is at times 6 or 3 hours per week and sometimes zero hours per week (i've had this long before I went on UI), I'd be able to move and collect in another state, but if I quit that PT'er, I would lose the benefits.

Last edited by allen96817; 02-14-2013 at 02:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment