Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2013, 02:30 AM

9 posts, read 13,818 times

Advertisements

I am approaching one year since my layoff (from a job I've held over 10 years, not that it matters)

I receive the max ($450/week) and I am currently on "Tier 2"

I've had no luck finding work, and I am still unemployed.

The top of my claim form shows "Claim Expires 04-13-13"
and my most recent (for the week ending 03-16-13) says "Your claim balance after this payment is $4050.00"

So what happens on 04-13-13, since that's coming up next month?

With 1 month left (that would be $450x4 weeks, or $1800) there will still be a Tier 2 balance of $2250

Does this mean I will no longer get any benefits after 04-13-13? Do I have to re-apply? Am I going to be S.O.L.?

Please forgive me if this was asked before - and I'm sure it has been - but I haven't found it here, so I am asking for assistance please, in understanding how this works... I'm totally confused.

Thank you kindly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 01:50 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times
You don't do anything. CA will automatically recertify your claim at your bye and continue your Tier 2 payments. Keep claiming.

Quote:
8. I've been collecting for a year and am on Tier 2. My claim expires next week. What happens now?

Some states automatically perform the recertification process as long as you continue to file weekly or biweekly claims. In most states, you will need to telephone your state to RECERTIFY your claim. Your state will do a monetary reevaluation for a new claim. If you have not had eligible earnings during your past benefit year, your "application for a new claim" will be denied, your old claim reopened and you continue to receive benefits on that claim. You may receive confusing correspondence at this time, especially in Illinois. Be sure to telephone your state if this happens - and keep claiming if the system allows.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/22370378-post2.html

Old 03-13-2013, 01:53 PM

9 posts, read 13,818 times
Whew, thank you. That's a relief...

I mean, I hope I don't need it anymore, but the way things have been going, jobs are tough to come by, so I was getting worried there.

Thanks for your reply, you are a saint!

Old 03-13-2013, 03:20 PM

15 posts, read 71,562 times
You will continue to collect up to the end of tier 4 unless the law changes.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:11 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,394,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooley Noted View Post
Whew, thank you. That's a relief...

I mean, I hope I don't need it anymore, but the way things have been going, jobs are tough to come by, so I was getting worried there.

Thanks for your reply, you are a saint!
Call EDD on 4-15-13 to make sure you are kept on the tiers without a hitch. If you have made ANY money during the year, they have to open a new claim, find it invalid, and then put you back on the tiers. If EDD shows any money, they do not automatically recalculate at the BYE. If no money shows, they do it automatically. This should be automatic, but odd things have a habit of appearing and getting put into the wrong areas causing a glitch. I once had a lawsuit settlement count as wages (when it was nothing of the sort) and discovered this when I called at the BYE, just to be safe. I told the rep what it was, she removed the money, done.

So, after my experience, I recommend taking the time to call EDD and make sure there is no money hanging out that should not be. I was able to explain what the money was, it was removed from my income, and all was ok with the one call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment