U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 10:47 AM

2 posts, read 25,170 times
Question PA EUC after UC ends

I was a little freaked out last night after re-reading the PA Department of Labor's website, and instantly became confused on whether or not I qualify for Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC).

My background:
- I received my Notice of Financial Determination on Jan 15, 2013 and was approved for the full 26 weeks.
- My Base Year is from Oct 01, 2011 to Sep 30, 2012
- My highest quarter I was paid: $7,500

The letter reads,

Quote:
"Your benefit year provides you with 52-week period beginning with the date of your application for enemployment compensation benefits. During this period, you may be entitled to benefits for those weeks when you are unemployed and meet the eligibility requirments of the Pennsylvania Unemployment Compensation (UC) Law. Your benefit year begins Jan 06, 2013 and ends Jan 04, 2014."

"The maximum number of full weeks of benefits you may be eligible to receive is determined by the number of credit weeks you had in your base year. Since you had 44 credit weeks, you qualify for 26 weeks of full benefits during your benefit year"
For the most part, I understand the information above. What I don't understand is why they tell me my benefit year begins on Jan 06, 2013 and ends on Jan 04, 2014, if I'm only eligible to received 26 weeks? I feel like the verbiage on these sites often contradict themselves, so I'm glad I found this forum late last night!

The part of the PA FAQ site that really throws me a curveball is:
Quote:
"May I claim EUC if I am eligible for regular UC?

Generally no. You are not eligible for EUC if you are eligible for regular UC from Pennsylvania, another state, the federal government or Canada."
^Is this is reference to claiming EUC and UC at the same time? ^
Pamphlets

To make a long story short, my UC is scheduled to end in June 2013 and I'm freaking out because I can't find a job. My base year wages are greater than 1.5x the amount of wages in my highest quarter, so I'm good in that department. From what I gathered, I seem to qualify for EUC but I'm not completely sure. Some peace of mind would be really great right about now.

Does EUC just automatically kick in after UC ends? Will I be receiving the same amount of money bi-weekly on EUC as I did on UC? Is there any reason I wouldn't be offered EUC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 11:29 AM

3,300 posts, read 3,531,332 times
You're going to get EUC with no gap in payments after you've exhausted your state benefits. You're way over-analyzing things.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:27 PM

13,118 posts, read 16,000,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmd123 View Post
What I don't understand is why they tell me my benefit year begins on Jan 06, 2013 and ends on Jan 04, 2014, if I'm only eligible to received 26 weeks?
Jan. 6, 2013-Jan 4, 2014 does not mean you are guaranteed 52 weeks' benefits.

It does mean you have 12 months to collect your 26-week State of PA benefits. You may or may not be claiming during that period for a variety of reasons - i.e., illness, find and lose a job, you forgot (yes, people do), etc.

Quote:
"May I claim EUC if I am eligible for regular UC?

Generally no. You are not eligible for EUC if you are eligible for regular UC from Pennsylvania, another state, the federal government or Canada."
This does not apply to you if you have not worked since you first filed your claim.

If you had worked and had new earnings since you filed for benefits, it is possible you would qualify for a new PA state claim after exhausting your initial 26 weeks, in which case you are not eligible for EUC on your first claim.

Before moving you to EUC, PA must first examine your earnings for possible new state claim eligibility, as state benefits must be paid before EUC benefits. PA will do that examination again quarterly, as long as you are collecting EUC.

If you are not eligible for a new state claim, you will move to EUC. Your base-year earnings qualify for EUC.

Last edited by JMT; 04-17-2013 at 03:52 PM..

Old 04-17-2013, 02:23 PM

2 posts, read 25,170 times
Gotcha. So, I have nothing to worry about, will be moved onto EUC if I don't find a job before June, and should stop over analyzing things like Chyvan said above?

It's tough finding a job, even when you have a Bachelors and relevant industry experience. I hope something comes along soon, so I can continue furthering my career.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:58 PM

2,313 posts, read 1,181,513 times
Quote:
It's tough finding a job, even when you have a Bachelors and relevant industry experience. I hope something comes along soon, so I can continue furthering my career.
If relocation is an option.. Consider it.

Once it became apparent I wasn't going to find anything in FL I moved to a state with a better economy.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:32 PM

6 posts, read 25,049 times
i am about to apply for the last 2 weeks, but i only have $35 remaining in my PA UC. I am hearing different things, when will i get the 2nd week pay? will i get the remainder of the 1st week or is that just a loss and i get only the $35? my biggest question is how long will it take to get on euc, kinda in a $ crunch...

Old 06-15-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe215 View Post
i am about to apply for the last 2 weeks, but i only have $35 remaining in my PA UC. I am hearing different things, when will i get the 2nd week pay? will i get the remainder of the 1st week or is that just a loss and i get only the $35? my biggest question is how long will it take to get on euc, kinda in a $ crunch...
All you will receive for that final week is $35. Rarely do the states commingle state/federal or even tier benefits to make you whole each week, but occasionally they will if you ask when moving between tiers. State to federal benefits may not be possible, because of the application process and a different pool of funds.

There may be a week or two delay on transitioning to federal benefits, per this:
Quote:
8. When may a claimant begin to receive Tier 1 EUC benefits?

When you have exhausted your regular, state UC benefits (your account balance is $0), the department will mail you an initial application for EUC. If you are still partially or totally unemployed, you may complete and sign this form and return it to the UC Service Center by mail or fax. You should return the completed application immediately in order to minimize any interruption in your benefits. If you do not receive an application for EUC within seven (7) days after you received the final payment on your regular UC claim, call the UC Service Center at 1-888-313-7284.

The UC Service Center will review your application and determine if you are eligible for regular UC or EUC. If additional information is required, you will be contacted. If you are determined eligible for UC or EUC benefits, you will be provided with instructions on filing claims for those benefits.

Frequently Asked Questions
Unless PA has changed its EUC application procedure from what is posted on its website, it appears you will not be able to commingle funds - and you will probably have a wait a week or more before beginning Tier 1.

I suggest you call PA. Perhaps you can speed things up.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:10 PM

6 posts, read 25,049 times
Thanks for the help!!!

Old 07-23-2013, 06:56 PM

2 posts, read 11,461 times
Default PA EUC after your Benefit Year Ending Date

This is the first time I'm using this website so I apologize in advance if I am doing this wrong. I have a question about PA UC but I think I just replied to a previous question so I hope this works

I am currently on the 1st tier of EUC but my benefit year ends 7/20/2013. I have 2 more weeks left on this tier one of which will be the week after the 20th. Does this mean I will not be able to continue my EUC? Or are you allowed to collect EUC after your benefit year ends?

Old 07-23-2013, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuji34 View Post
This is the first time I'm using this website so I apologize in advance if I am doing this wrong. I have a question about PA UC but I think I just replied to a previous question so I hope this works

I am currently on the 1st tier of EUC but my benefit year ends 7/20/2013. I have 2 more weeks left on this tier one of which will be the week after the 20th. Does this mean I will not be able to continue my EUC? Or are you allowed to collect EUC after your benefit year ends?
You will continue on EUC when your claim has been recertified at your bye.

Per FAQS:
Quote:
8. I've been collecting for a year and am on Tier 2. My claim expires next week. What happens now?

Some states automatically perform the recertification process as long as you continue to file weekly or biweekly claims. In most states, you will need to telephone your state to RECERTIFY your claim. Your state will do a monetary reevaluation for a new claim. If you have not had eligible earnings during your past benefit year, your "application for a new claim" will be denied, your old claim reopened and you continue to receive benefits on that claim.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/22370378-post2.html
Iirc, PA will do this bye recertification automatically. However, I advise you call them the week of your bye to be sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment