Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 05:00 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,311,761 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I touched on this in some other posts that I have written recently, but I am on medical leave from work due to severe depression and panic attacks. I didn't ask to be put on this, my employer mandated it.

I am two weeks into this medical leave and have seen a therapist three times and a psychiatrist once.

Long story short, a treatment plan is NOT in the works and the agent who is working on my case is saying that I am 'not in compliance'. Basically, I am not going to alter certain aspects about my lifestyle. I know what is depressing me. The doctors wouldn't give me any medication.

So, my last conversation with my agent didn't go so well. It pretty much ended with me saying that I am not going to make lifestyle modifications because I do not see them as being at all necessary. The agent said she has to make some phone calls and will get back to me either tonight or tomorrow.

At this point, I wouldn't be shocked if they fire me. I wouldn't even care if they fired me or not. One of the reasons I am so depressed is because I absolutely hate where I live and I want to move to the Northeast. If I am able to collect unemployment, then at least I will be moving with a paycheck.

Anyone have any insight into this issue? If I am fired for 'not complying with the treatment plan' will I be able to file for unemployment benefits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 05:32 PM

14,500 posts, read 30,966,953 times
Who is this "agent"? Is this person a medical professional bound by doctor-patient confidentially? If so, then the only people that know are you and the agent. You don't have to say a word to your employer about it, and that means that UI won't find out about if you keep your mouth shut.

If you're on an unpaid suspension by your employer, then you need to file for UI right now. There is no need to wait until you are fired.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
Who is this "agent"? Is this person a medical professional bound by doctor-patient confidentially? If so, then the only people that know are you and the agent. You don't have to say a word to your employer about it, and that means that UI won't find out about if you keep your mouth shut.

If you're on an unpaid suspension by your employer, then you need to file for UI right now. There is no need to wait until you are fired.
I am currently being paid by my employer. They are handling the decision on that on a week by week basis.

The agent is an EAP agent that is employed by my insurance company. She is kind of the middle person that communicates between me, my doctors, and my employer.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:57 PM

25,604 posts, read 56,318,456 times
EAP is a employee-counseling service provided by the employer, but is confidential - at least that's the way it was when I worked. Your employer should be given no information whatsoever by the EAP people.
Quote:
Confidentiality is maintained in accordance with privacy laws and ethical standards.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Employee_assistance_program

Old 04-24-2013, 09:40 PM

My employer is aware of what is going on though. I just spoke to them today in fact. I also had to sign a whole bunch of paperwork allowing the exchange of information between parties.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:46 AM

14,500 posts, read 30,966,953 times
No, you didn't have to sign the paper. For your own reasons, you chose to do it because you felt there was a benefit to you to do so.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:16 AM

432 posts, read 1,224,932 times
Get ready as your employer will be releasing you from work shortly. If you are not following a designated plan that was given by medical professionals it will not help your case. Don't know about unemployment.

I hope your health improves, and that you find a new job that will suit you soon.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:16 AM

Okay. Does anyone actually have an answer to my question???

Old 04-25-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
No, you didn't have to sign the paper. For your own reasons, you chose to do it because you felt there was a benefit to you to do so.
Actually, I signed the paperwork because I felt I had no other choice. I was scared out of my mind when all of a sudden I get a phone call at night saying I will have no more access to my job. The HR said that it was imperative that I get several pieces of paperwork printed out, signed, and faxed to the appropriate parties. I wanted to comply with what they said because I was worried I would get fired if I didn't.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2M View Post
Get ready as your employer will be releasing you from work shortly. If you are not following a designated plan that was given by medical professionals it will not help your case. Don't know about unemployment.

I hope your health improves, and that you find a new job that will suit you soon.
What makes you so sure of this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment