U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 09:20 PM

8 posts, read 20,653 times
Default Hoping for one more response

Hoping that Ariadne22 (or anyone?) will answer one last thing:

I read that EDD will not approve a new claim for one year (52 weeks) after a claim begins. (Claims can be re-opened during that period, but new claims are not allowed.) If this is correct, how is it that EDD checks for (and potentially approves) new claims during this one year period? (As Ariadne22 states, EDD will apparently check for new claim eligibility, and will disallow extension benefits during this one year period - presumably after the first 26 weeks of receiving regular benefits?)

I believe Ariadne22 regarding this, but it seems to conflict with the other information (new claims are not allowed for the one year period after a claim begins).

Also, can Ariadne22 (or anyone) direct me to examples where this has occurred?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 04:34 PM

8 posts, read 20,653 times
Default Loss of extended benefits because of new claim?

From Ariadne22's earlier responses, I understand that states (including California) check for new state unemployment eligibility whenever a claimant enters a new extended benefit tier. This is done because it is apparently illegal to pay extended (federal) benefits if a claimant qualifies for regular (state) unemployment benefits.

Does anyone know if a claimant can qualify for two (26-week) back-to-back regular (state benefits), all within the benefit year of the original claim? (For California, in particular.)

I previously understood that claimants cannot establish a second regular (state) claim within the benefit year of the first regular (state) claim. (This makes intuitive sense, since benefits normally end after the first 26-week period - even if a claimant remains unemployed.)

If claimants cannot establish two regular (state) claims within the original benefit year, then extended benefits would always be paid after the first regular (26-week) state claim (provided the other extended benefit requirements are met).

I also understand that a claimant has to start at least one tier of the extended benefits, to remain eligible to collect them at a later date (if needed). However, if a claimant is prohibited from filing a second claim (until the end of the first benefit year), then he/she would always receive at least the first tier of extended benefits, provided that he/she meets the other qualification requirements. (In other words, permanently "losing" extended benefits because a claimant never received the first tier would normally not be an issue.)

Just wondering what (if anything) is wrong with my understanding. Thank you. (P.S., I think that Ariadne 22 might not be willing to answer me any further, so I appreciate any input.)

Old 09-21-2013, 06:10 PM

1 posts, read 399 times
Default ca edd

collected last tier four. received letter that I have funds in my unemployment because I was employed part time. will edd file my continuation form?? and is their another one week waiting period for new claim

Old 09-21-2013, 10:07 PM

13,628 posts, read 17,264,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by russellkuehn60 View Post
collected last tier four. received letter that I have funds in my unemployment because I was employed part time. will edd file my continuation form?? and is their another one week waiting period for new claim
Exactly, what does the letter say? There is no continuation form if you've exhausted Tier 4. If you've exhausted all benefits and you are past your benefit year end, CA won't apply for a new claim for you. You need to do that online, or call a rep. Yes, if your benefit year has passed, there is a one-week waiting period, again.

That said, CA is in a HUGE computer mess. Do not expect to receive benefits anytime soon, even if CA does find new claim eligibility.

Read these:

New Upgrades for the Unemployment Insurance (UI) System

CA delayed payments?

Old 01-12-2014, 10:14 PM

3 posts, read 826 times
Default Received award letter, but not allowing me to make my claim??

I have been receiving UI for some time now. I am under the federal extension program. I understand the extensions for the federal government are having issues right now, but I did receive an award letter to continue my benefits. My last letter from UI stated that the federal extension program was now over, and no more money will be paid out on my benefits. So, my question is, if I received an award letter that was extending my benefits until 10/2014, why are they now saying I can't make a claim on it? I messaged EDD about 10 days ago, but have yet to receive a response. Thank-you to those that can help me.

Old 01-12-2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer14 View Post
I have been receiving UI for some time now. I am under the federal extension program. I understand the extensions for the federal government are having issues right now, but I did receive an award letter to continue my benefits. My last letter from UI stated that the federal extension program was now over, and no more money will be paid out on my benefits. So, my question is, if I received an award letter that was extending my benefits until 10/2014, why are they now saying I can't make a claim on it? I messaged EDD about 10 days ago, but have yet to receive a response. Thank-you to those that can help me.
Because you probably don't have a valid claim. CA should have also sent you a Section 1277 letter saying this claim was invalid. however.

If you actually worked between 10/12-10/13, then that Notice of UI Award may be valid. But if CA hasn't sent you any claim forms, most likely it isn't. No way to tell anymore w/CA because their new software is so messed up.

You really need to call to find out for sure.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:56 PM

3 posts, read 826 times
Thanks for the reply! I did receive the 1277 letter, but I thought maybe it was wrong, since I did receive an award letter after the fact. I did not work in the past year, but I thought that I would still qualify for the extension, especially because I received the letter. I can't get through on the phone, and they aren't responding to my message. I'm sure I am not the only one wondering what is going on... Very annoying, but I am attempting to be patient.

Old 01-13-2014, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the reply! I did receive the 1277 letter, but I thought maybe it was wrong, since I did receive an award letter after the fact. I did not work in the past year, but I thought that I would still qualify for the extension, especially because I received the letter. I can't get through on the phone, and they aren't responding to my message. I'm sure I am not the only one wondering what is going on... Very annoying, but I am attempting to be patient.
There is nothing to wonder about. If you received a 1277 letter, you do NOT have a new State of California claim. 1277 letters are usually (confusingly) sent BEFORE the award letter. The 1277 letter prevails.

California will resume paying your unexhausted EUC from the 2012 claim when and if Congress extends.

Don't bother calling California. They can't pay you anything at this time.

http://www.edd.ca.gov/unemployment/F...Extensions.htm

Old 01-13-2014, 04:37 PM

3 posts, read 826 times
It was checked that this 1277 letter will not effect me receiving my extension, that I was still eligible. That is the part I am wondering about [and yes, I can wonder ]. Thanks for the reply.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
It was checked that this 1277 letter will not effect me receiving my extension, that I was still eligible. That is the part I am wondering about [and yes, I can wonder ]. Thanks for the reply.
It means exactly what it says - that your extensions are NOT affected and that CA will resume extensions [legislation permitting].

Extensions are attached to your original claim, not the invalid claim, which is why they are NOT affected.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 01-13-2014 at 06:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment