U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-16-2013, 09:05 AM

1 posts, read 7,311 times

Advertisements

Wrote an article on this for Yahoo Voices!
[url=http://voices.yahoo.com/july-1-2013-brings-unemployment-law-north-carolina-12123600.html?cat=3]July 1 2013 Brings New Unemployment Law in North Carolina on Weekly Maximum Durations and Amounts - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 12:01 PM

14,382 posts, read 19,160,414 times
Already discussed earlier, here:

NC Major Changes: Halting EUC as of July 1; reducing max benefit to $350 (from $530); reducing max wks to 20, or less

Also, your link doesn't work. Here's a better one.

July 1 2013 Brings New Unemployment Law in North Carolina on Weekly Maximum Durations and Amounts - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Whatever happened to this?

http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2013/B...PDF/H922v0.pdf

proposed legislation which continues payment of EUC to January 2014 for everyone? Was this political posturing, or what?

And, why stop federal benefits? Federal benefits cost NC - nothing. NC is NOT borrowing from the federal government to pay EUC. NC is punishing its own citizens by refusing to participate in the federal program. Makes no sense given NC's unemployment rate is fifth highest in the country.

Unemployment Rates for States

Hope you come back to explain. I suspect you posted the link just to get a hit.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:54 PM
GPC

990 posts, read 1,530,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Whatever happened to this?

http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2013/B...PDF/H922v0.pdf

proposed legislation which continues payment of EUC to January 2014 for everyone? Was this political posturing, or what?

And, why stop federal benefits? Federal benefits cost NC - nothing. NC is NOT borrowing from the federal government to pay EUC. NC is punishing its own citizens by refusing to participate in the federal program. Makes no sense given NC's unemployment rate is fifth highest in the country.
I've been trying to find out! The only other thing I found was this: HB 922 - North Carolina 2013-2014 Session - Open States

I hit 'refresh' but there hasn't been any updates. Of course, I've also googled but I don't come up with anything recent. The NC unemployment website mentions the changes to new claims as of June 30/July 1 but there's nothing there about EUC. When I claim my weekly benefits, it still says the end of December. I haven't gotten anything in the mail either. I don't get it; one would think if thousands of people are going to get cut off in 6 weeks, the government would have the courtesy to let them know! Personally speaking, it doesn't matter much to me either way but I'm sure the majority of people currently on EUC in NC need to know!

Old 05-26-2013, 05:56 PM

1 posts, read 7,190 times
Default extended benefits

Hello,

Trying to figure out if I filed for NC Unemployment Benefits in Dec 2012 will I get an extension of benefits, my benefits end in like five to six weeks, I am so confused.

Thanks

Old 05-27-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lainiebabe2013 View Post
Trying to figure out if I filed for NC Unemployment Benefits in Dec 2012 will I get an extension of benefits
Here's your answer. NC is cutting off EUC for everyone on 6/29.
Quote:
Please be aware that the federal extension of benefits, better known as the Emergency Unemployment Compensation Program (EUC) will end June 30, 2013. All 4 Tiers of the EUC program will end on this date. The last payable week of the federal extension of benefits will be June 29, 2013.

https://www.ncesc1.com/individual/login.asp
Plan now to visit your social services people for any and all assistance - i.e., food stamps, utilities, medical, cash, housing.

There is absolutely NO FINANCIAL reason for the State of NC to stop EUC. State benefits are borrowed from the federal government, federal assistance does not cost NC or its employers anything.

Complain to your legislators.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:29 PM

1 posts, read 6,942 times
Angry NoLove4NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Here's your answer. NC is cutting off EUC for everyone on 6/29.
Plan now to visit your social services people for any and all assistance - i.e., food stamps, utilities, medical, cash, housing.

There is absolutely NO FINANCIAL reason for the State of NC to stop EUC. State benefits are borrowed from the federal government, federal assistance does not cost NC or its employers anything.

Complain to your legislators.
I am so outdone with North Carolina across the board!!! As a born & raised North Carolinian I never thought that I would say that!!!! Finding out that EUC benefits for nearly 170,000 individuals will cease, only 4wks before, is absolutely unacceptable!!!! Especially after those individuals were previously told that EUC was extended until January 1, 2014!!!! Not to mention they didn't have the decency to send any info in the mail instead they chose to hide behind an Alert message posted on the unemp website once you go to file your weekly certification!!!! How cowardly is that!!!???!!!

In response to the quoted text above, don't even get your hopes up, regarding immediate assistance from NC Social Services either!!!! I lost employment back in January and once all severance pay ended I applied for Food & Nutrition services (I applied on Feb. 22, 2013 to be exact), when I applied they quoted a 30day turnaround time, if you don't qualify for the 7day emergency services. Please tell me why it has be over 3 months & I still haven't received benefits!!!???!!! I have checked weekly for the past 2 months and all they can say is the delay is due to transitioning to the NC-FAST system & we apologize for the delay but we can refer you to a food bank for a few can goods!!!! I checked as early as last week & was told that they are working on applications from the end of February & if I don't receive anything in the next 2wks to give them a call!!!! LIE!!! ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!! NC has some serious issues going on right now!!!! NoLove4NC at the moment!!!!

Old 07-18-2013, 10:24 AM

2 posts, read 7,154 times
I too was told that information was mailed out to me and I did not receive anything. I'm glad to know that I am NOT losing my mind in there are several other people who are in the same situation. I did not even know that I was in the program and that my unemployment ran out because no one notified me
I was told I should refer back to the original paperwork that I received months ago telling me how long my unemployment would last. I had me see the signs of low income tax return so had I known that I was about to run out of unemployment I would have not got on that emergency program and went back when my return money ran out. when I explain that situation to the representative she told me surely I would not have cancelled my money. how can she tell me what I would not have done.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:41 AM

2 posts, read 7,154 times
Default misled

Even know my unemployment ran out on the 29th of June I did not know it ran out so I have still been doing my weekly certification. Why is it allowing me to still do my weekly certification if I am no longer on the program that's another reason why I did not know my unemployment had stop and I was on the emergency program. when I mention this to the representative all she could say was you didn't get any money did you. I would think that I would have gotten better treatment than that. This is not a joke this is people's livelihood were talking about. I don't appreciate being handled like I have no common sense and no education
I have put in over 50 I have put in about 5 applications a week since I have been out of work and North Carolina is ranked 5 for unemployment so why would they cancelled the program. Social service can help me because my kids are grown. I have paid for many people out of my paycheck for all the years I have worked now I need help in there is none for me.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:43 PM

The political climate in your state determines how its citizens are treated. NC now has seen to it that it will no longer pay federal benefits. NC is an extreme example of states with the similar political leanings, which are unresponsive to the unemployed, actually hostile, and have limited social services.

Your options are to stay and accept what that state has to offer or move elsewhere where job opportunities and social services for the unemployed are better.

Plenty of work in North Dakota if you're willing to travel that far. Check out this list for states with low unemployment. Your opportunities would be better in any of those.

Unemployment Rates for States
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment