Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2013, 12:35 PM

9 posts, read 13,159 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I quit my full time job back in Feb and went to work for two companies one of which is ending in June. The other job is part time though I signed a paper stating that I was full time ( which my boss also signed). I am moving the end of June to another city and moving in with my daughter and two grandchildren. I hope to be able to find better jobs there but in the meantime I would hope to be able to collect UE.

I know that quitting a job is not a reason to be considered for UE, but do you all think I have a chance because of the part time hours even though I was hired as full time? The hours are being reduced now that Spring is almost over, and will dwindle to almost nothing in Winter. I am in California, any advice would be appreciated as I have never collected UE and am trying to learn the ins and outs. This forum is helping a lot, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 12:52 PM

14,504 posts, read 30,910,431 times
You say you have a job ending in June. If you quit the job that's NOT ending in June now to focus on the job that IS ending in June, you greatly increase your chances of getting UI. Just don't go telling the job you quit that you're doing it so you can collect UI when the other job lays you off in 4 weeks. You tell them you're quitting to focus on your other job.

Also, you don't mention your state. Reductions in hours are not universally accepted as good cause in all states. However, reductions in hours can cause other things to happen as a consequence that can be good cause, but you need to know that stuff up front so you put the right stuff on your UI application assuming you want to keep this part time job to the bitter end.

For example, my job cut my hours, and I'm in AZ. Quitting a job because of reduced hours is only good cause if the part time job interfers with a search for a new job (fat chance that ever being the case), you live in a remote area and have to move to a better job market, or the expenses/commute time are out of line with the remuneration received. However, because I lost my company provided health insurance benefits, I was able to say I quit because of that rather the reduction hours, the loss of health insurance was a substantial change to my terms of employment. It was treated as a discharge/refusal of work rather than a quit, and I was able to get the reduced-hour, no health insurance position ruled as unsuitable because it was substantially less favorable than what I was getting in recent previous employment.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:18 PM

Thanks for your reply Chyvan. I am actually quitting my 'full time' job next week, and am training my replacement. A little confused, even though I knew that the other job was ending in June, I could still be eligible for UE? I thought that since the job had a clear 'end date' I couldn't be eligible. I am in a rural area, moving to a large City where the jobs are more plentiful. But yes, I am going to continue with the job that ends in June, hmm lots to think about, thank you again for the tips!

PS- I'm in California

Old 06-01-2013, 05:40 PM

Yes, "knowing" that the other job has a clear end date can be a problem, but you don't have to tell anyone at the places you work at or the UI people that you knew that. The only ones that know the job is ending appears to be a part-time job and you.

If your quit is a problem, you'll need to make sure that you have enough earnings from the job you have left to purge a disqualification.

According to this table on page 5-10, http://workforcesecurity.doleta.gov/...onmonetary.pdf
you need to make sure that with the job you have left that you earn 5 x your weekly benefit amount, and that is sufficient to purge any disqualification from your quit.

Since you already quit, what did you tell that job in your letter of resignation as to the reason because you can be sure they will tell EDD that when you file.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:03 PM

I told my boss that because of the reduced hours and hourly low wage, plus spotty commission, I couldn't support myself and I decided to move in with my daughter. There isn't a letter of resignation it's just an agreement with my direct supervisor and we are on very good terms. She even suggested that i might qualify for UE because of 'hardship'. The job I have left is only 25 hours a week, not enough to live on for sure. The job i left in Feb was full time and i was bringing in a livable wage. Doesn't that job count on the amount I can recieve from UE?
Thank you for your input, this is kind of overwhelming!

Old 06-01-2013, 06:15 PM

The job in Febuary will be irrelevant if you've earned 5 x you weekly benefit since that time.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:56 PM

25,589 posts, read 56,241,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlvr View Post
The job i left in Feb was full time and i was bringing in a livable wage. Doesn't that job count on the amount I can recieve from UE?
If you file for benefits in July (file the 2nd week in July, not earlier), CA will determine your benefit based on wages earned Apr. 2012-Mar. 2013. If you file the first week in July or last week in June after your layoff, because CA backdates its claims to the Sunday preceding the date you file, CA may use wages earned Jan. 2012-Dec. 2012. You need to determine - based on the quarters available in your claim - which is the better time to file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
The job in Febuary will be irrelevant if you've earned 5 x you weekly benefit since that time.
I think he's asking if the $$ earned up until February will count towards base-period wages - and the amount of his weekly benefit - not how to avoid the VQ (voluntary quit) disqualifier penalty of earning 5-weeks benefits. Nonetheless, he needs to heed your caution.

OP, CA will investigate the circumstances of your most recent job loss. It will also investigate the quits from your most recent "full-time" job and the full-time job you quit in Feb.

Chyvan's point is that if your most recent quit from this part-time job results in a VQ penalty, you will have earned enough (5x your weekly benefit), after your quit, at the remaining job to the end of June to have overcome this 5-week earnings penalty.
Quote:
Under the provisions of Section 1260(a), once a VQ or MC disqualification is assessed, the claimant must return to work and earn five times his or her weekly benefit amount in bona fide employment and reopen the claim. The disqualification will remain in effect until the requirements have been met.

Miscellaneous MI 35 - Assessing and Removing Non-monetary Disqualifications
CA handbook has charts which show your weekly benefit determined by your high quarter - which most likely occurred while you were employed at the job you quit in February:

http://www.edd.ca.gov/pdf_pub_ctr/de1275a.pdf

With two quits in five months, a VQ penalty is a possibility. You will need to examine your earnings to estimate your weekly benefit to ascertain whether you have earned enough at your remaining job between the time you quit and the end of June to meet the 5x weekly benefit penalty - should one be assessed. Otherwise, you will need to find another job - and be terminated (not quit) - to satisfy that disqualifier before CA will pay benefits.

Also, when you apply - be sure you state you were discharged. Not laid off. You were discharged. Doesn't matter if contract ended and there was no work. If you use the wrong word, CA lately has been assessing additional waiting weeks false statement penalties on the basis of semantics.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 06-01-2013 at 07:31 PM..

Old 06-01-2013, 08:28 PM

Thank you all so much! I will be reading and re-reading all your posts for days to come!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment