Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2013, 04:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,201 times

Advertisements

I am a teacher at a charter school. The problem is that most schools offer year-round pay, whether its allocated only over the school year or throughout the summer too.

At my job, I'm paid hourly. If I miss school, I don't get paid. From
June through August I do not get paid. I am not necessarily on a contract nor guaranteed a job in the fall (although I have quite a good feeling I WILL be rehired). I do have a w2 and year round benefits.

My question is, under state law, would I qualify for unemployment so that I can get a percentage of my paycheck and still be able to focus my time perfecting my craft? I've signed up for summer courses to help better my teaching, and I'm very interested in mastering my craft. I do not want to bartend over the summer to get by.

Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 04:55 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,058,740 times
Teacher stuff is complicated because the general rule is if you have a reasonable expectation of being employed during the next academic year, then no UI for you.

Based on the "good feeling I will be rehired," I'd say no. However, you can always apply, and if turned down, then so what?

However if you should qualify, you can't "signed up for summer courses." The system is set up to provide income while you look for a new job, not to get schooling. You might be eligible for benefits, but if you go to school and be labelled not "able & available," and your benefits will stop as soon as they started. Unless of course you're able to find night/evening classes or online classes, but you'll still be required to search for work, and accept work if offerred, so you still might find yourself working as a bartender, and going to school, and getting no UI benefits because you found a summer job.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:59 PM

2 posts, read 2,201 times
Thank you for the response! It seems like a really tough situation, but the worst that can happen is I apply, I'm honest about my situation, and I get turned down.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:38 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,304,389 times
Did you get a letter of reasonable assurance? If you did, you're not eligible. If you didn't, it can't hurt to try.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:19 PM

3 posts, read 11,944 times
Default Collecting Unemployment & Want To Become A Nurse

I am currently collecting unemployment.

I live in NJ and would like to take classes in the fall, either part-time or full-time, during the day or at nights or weekends, to get either a certificate or degree to become a License Practical Nurse or Registered Nurse.
How will this affect my Unemployment benefits as I can not afford to lose them in any way, shape or form. Plus, I will need to apply for Financial Aid. Can someone knowledgeable with NJ law please explain all of the possible scenarios before I began the endeavor. Thank you very much.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:59 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,451,817 times
NJ needs to approve your class schedule if you are collecting unemployment benefts. You need to be able to prove you are able and available - to search for work and accept work if offered. A night or week-end schedule should be approved, full-time days would be problematic.

You might look into approved vocational training through the State of NJ which allow a waiver of NJ's requirement on "able and available" if your classes are too time-consuming.

Department of Labor and Workforce Development | Training Grants for Unemployed Workers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment