Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2013, 01:42 PM

2 posts, read 2,419 times

Advertisements

I live in Rhode Island and was recently terminated due to a reorganization. The company has given me a letter of recommendation and regrets that they had to let me go. I got the job after a period of sustained unemployment, so I only have six months of work history in the past two years, from January 1st through June 28th. I earned $45,000 during that time.

Will I be eligible to collect UE, and for how long?

I really thank everyone for their advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 03:35 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,075,853 times
The reason you were let go will be qualifying. The thing you need to worry about is if you're monetarily eligible. For that, you need to do your home work. You might have money leftover from your previous stint on UI, or you might have to apply on July 8th when the quarter changes, or you may even have to wait until Oct 7 for the Jan 1 to Jun 28th earnings to establish a meaningful base period of earnings on which to qualify.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
The reason you were let go will be qualifying. The thing you need to worry about is if you're monetarily eligible. For that, you need to do your home work. You might have money leftover from your previous stint on UI, or you might have to apply on July 8th when the quarter changes, or you may even have to wait until Oct 7 for the Jan 1 to Jun 28th earnings to establish a meaningful base period of earnings on which to qualify.
I was never on UI. Does that make any difference? I guess the thing I'm confused about is this "base period" stuff.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:12 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,477,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thx11389 View Post
I was never on UI. Does that make any difference? I guess the thing I'm confused about is this "base period" stuff.
Never having collected UI is not relevant

Rhode Island clearly explains their methods of qualifying, base periods, benefits, etc., here:

RI Department of Labor and Training Employer Charges, Unemployment Insurance

Read that page carefully. The main goal is to capture as much of your earnings as possible in a base-period. If you file in July, RI will use earnings April 2012-March 2013 to qualify you. If you wait until October to file, RI will use earnings July 2012-June 2013.

Delaying a filing until October is probably not feasible for you - but you can be the best judge of that after you've done the math.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment