U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2014, 02:26 PM

154 posts, read 198,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msix3623 View Post
This bill needs two more Republicans in the Senate to move to the house. If it is that hard in the Senate there is no way it will pass the house which is run by Republicans. It is another waste of time. The bill that will eventually pass is one started in the house and passes there first which has more chance to then pass the more democrat run Senate. I am sick of getting my hopes up but this is the truth. This new bill is a waste of time
I hate to say it but you might be right.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:40 PM

665 posts, read 795,327 times
Its not a waste of time. I appreciate anything that they can do to get the benefits back. it is a long shot in the house but atleast its a shot.

Old 02-01-2014, 02:57 PM

31 posts, read 35,750 times
wow 108 pages, has everyone reached out to their senators and representatives via call, email and most importantly twitter?

Old 02-01-2014, 02:58 PM

314 posts, read 504,998 times
There is 0 chance that this bill will pass the house.. Mark my words. They will shoot it down and come up with their own ue extension bill that will take several weeks to pass and move to the Senate who will give in. Reid needs to make all Republicans somewhat happy. It is what will eventually happen. And it could have all happened weeks ago if Reid wasn't so stubborn. Like many said..it's all a politics game and we are the pawns.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:00 PM

314 posts, read 504,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by needhelp101 View Post
wow 108 pages, has everyone reached out to their senators and representatives via call, email and most importantly twitter?
They send and give the same automated responses to everyone who emails and calls them.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:02 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,020,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post
Its not a waste of time. I appreciate anything that they can do to get the benefits back. it is a long shot in the house but atleast its a shot.
The House will modify the bill with amendments to meet their criteria. That's a given since there's nothing about job creation in there (although I think the Senate is trying to pass this now to give them more time on a larger bill with all those parameters in it). Then it will be up to the Senate to either accept them, modify again and send it back down or trash it.

I don't know what to think anymore. I was so sure they would get something through now I'm much more pessimistic. I think there really needs to be proof that not extending EUC is hurting the economy, causing foreclosures and defaults on loans, putting way too many people in poverty and hurting the states, etc to get them to really move their as$es. I don't know how long that will take to show up.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by needhelp101 View Post
I'm not on twitter but I've e-mailed my republican representatives (my senators are Cory Booker and Bob Menendez so they are both advocates for the bill) and the responses are all similar - they agree it needs to be passed but it needs to be paid for and jobs need to be created. I did call Grassley in Iowa but I got voicemail. Left a message but I'm going to e-mail him.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:07 PM

31 posts, read 41,365 times
Quote:
This bill needs two more Republicans in the Senate to move to the house. If it is that hard in the Senate there is no way it will pass the house which is run by Republicans. It is another waste of time. The bill that will eventually pass is one started in the house and passes there first which has more chance to then pass the more democrat run Senate. I am sick of getting my hopes up but this is the truth. This new bill is a waste of time
From what I've read in past weeks; the Senate Democrats have been talking with both the Senate Republicans and the House (both sides) to craft an EUC extension bill that would move quickly through both the Senate and the House. So if a bill does finally come up for a vote in the Senate that implies that it's an acceptable bill to the House - regardless of what Boehner or some Tea Party guys mumble about.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:08 PM

31 posts, read 35,750 times
so whats up with the house bill? does it effect the unemployed differently any how?

Old 02-01-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
They send and give the same automated responses to everyone who emails and calls them.
I got a very personalized letter from Chris Smith, a republican in my district. That definitely was not a form letter as it addressed personal things about me as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment