U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2014, 03:11 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,020,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by needhelp101 View Post
so whats up with the house bill? does it effect the unemployed differently any how?
The bill the House wrote (or really one person and a co-sponsor) is in committee, actually submitted to 2 committees. We won't know what's really in it unless it comes out of committee and goes to the floor. Lots of bills die in committee so I think that's even a farther long shot than what we have going on with the Senate now.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:11 PM

31 posts, read 35,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
I got a very personalized letter from Chris Smith, a republican in my district. That definitely was not a form letter as it addressed personal things about me as well.
it was probably his secretary trying to make it sound personal, is he a republlican? is he up for reelection this year? highly doubt it was actually him

Old 02-01-2014, 03:13 PM

also you guys have to remember that obama has put alot of pressure on them this week, with the state of the union, the ceo's at the white house, among other things he is doing

Old 02-01-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
it was probably his secretary trying to make it sound personal, is he a republlican? is he up for reelection this year? highly doubt it was actually him
Yes - he is up for re-election. He is Republican but he's an east coast Republican and has voted along Democratic lines. His big "Republican" thing is he's very anti-abortion and anti-stem cell research. He co-sponsored a bill to renew to assault weapons ban so any republican who does that is at the very least moderate. I'll watch closely to see how he votes and if he makes any statements prior to voting. He's been in office since 1981 and has always won by a landslide.

It's funny because in his letter he mentions a couple of bills sent to the Senate that have never even been brought to the floor that address some things that Obama stated in the STOU address (I received this letter long before Obama's speech). He talks about the tax code reform to help small businesses here and incentives to bring others back, etc. I think the house and the Senate hate each other almost as much as the two parties at this point. It's so dysfunctional.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
also you guys have to remember that obama has put alot of pressure on them this week, with the state of the union, the ceo's at the white house, among other things he is doing
Sadly I think if the corporations put the pressure on we'll be OK then. That's where most of their funds come from for election campaigns.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:40 PM

461 posts, read 720,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
Sadly I think if the corporations put the pressure on we'll be OK then. That's where most of their funds come from for election campaigns.
You're right. its a shame that the only way anything can get accomplished is if their funding for reelection is threatened.

It almost makes you rethink corporations since they are putting pressure on congress to pass something.

...almost.

Old 02-01-2014, 03:46 PM

this year many many incumbant republians are expected to be voted out because of the huge divide on minimum wage issues. half republican supporters are corporations and the other half are middle class americans, so if the middle class get mad over the minimum wage issue then GOP will loose base fast

also corporations are not for or against unemployment, they really dont care, they are simply using it as a bargaining chip to try and repeal the ACA which will the dems will never give in to, whih si why we have this mess

Old 02-01-2014, 05:11 PM

4,807 posts, read 6,323,486 times
Quote:

He said ONE SENTENCE about it in his one-hour, five-minute speech. ONE SENTENCE..... I don't think that's "putting pressure on them"

Old 02-01-2014, 05:11 PM

154 posts, read 198,631 times
Quote:
this year many many incumbant republians are expected to be voted out because of the huge divide on minimum wage issues. half republican supporters are corporations and the other half are middle class americans, so if the middle class get mad over the minimum wage issue then GOP will loose base fast

also corporations are not for or against unemployment, they really dont care, they are simply using it as a bargaining chip to try and repeal the ACA which will the dems will never give in to, whih si why we have this mess
Many incumbent democrats are expected to be voted out also because of the utter failure of ACA. That is why there is a move by Harry Reid and establishment democrats to hold unemployment benefits hostage as long as possible to make republicans look bad and distract from the ever increasing failures of ACA. We wont get our benefits until people like Harry Reid think it to be politically expedient.

Old 02-01-2014, 05:12 PM

154 posts, read 198,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
He said ONE SENTENCE about it in his one-hour, five-minute speech. ONE SENTENCE..... I don't think that's "putting pressure on them"
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment