U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2014, 07:53 PM

31 posts, read 41,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin Nagant View Post
less than 2 million signups - 5 million cancellations = failure

Almost all of the options for a pay for that republicans have offered have NOTHING to do with ACA. Another one of Harry Reid's excuses for stalling.

I don't even know why they bothered. I think they now have realized all they have to do is sit back and do nothing and it will fall apart on it's own. While we are talking about tax payer money what about the $500 million+ spent on healthcare.gov that to any competent programmer looks like it was programmed by trained monkeys? Another no bid government contract awarded to insiders.

That has yet to be seen.
Nagant; you're a tea party a$$h@le.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:57 PM

665 posts, read 795,327 times
No the Nuclear option only applies to Nominations for executive branch positions and all non-Supreme Court judicial nominations .
As for the 60 votes lately its because the Republicans are filibustering all of the bills Obama wants passed. It a big problem.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:05 PM

31 posts, read 35,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
They can and have used nuclear on cabinet and other appointments, other than the SC.

Senate goes for - November 2013

The GOP is still fuming about this - which makes the Congress even more dysfunctional.

Do you think Reid should also go nuclear on funding? Can it even be done???
This is very very interesting, Reid is a smart man.

I agree that GOP is still blowing steam over this and in fact the democrats should invoke it again for eveyr vote needed until the next session.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:18 PM

111 posts, read 125,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post
No the Nuclear option only applies to Nominations for executive branch positions and all non-Supreme Court judicial nominations .
As for the 60 votes lately its because the Republicans are filibustering all of the bills Obama wants passed. It a big problem.
I did a lot of reading on this back in 2010, and Its a rules thing that nobody wants to use for fear the other party will use when the power structure is reversed..

Like i say its been a while since I read up on it but it seems you have to go back to the 1970's or so when the tactic was used on an important piece of legislation.

The phrase "nuclear Option" may have more than one meaning here. and really they are extremely unlikely to do it.
The scenario in 2010 (may have been 2011), was the EUC extension kept butting into 58-59 votes as Sen Byrd was to sick to attend and vote (i think)

And NO wasn't used then, but everybody was complaining that the Dems had NOT used ALL their options to overcome the 60 vote hurdle

the 60 vote rule is actually a procedural rule agreed to for that specific session, and superseding that PROCEDURAL rule involves the wording of the constitution that says "majority"

Old 02-01-2014, 08:31 PM

154 posts, read 198,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjf2381 View Post
Nagant; you're a tea party a$$h@le.
You call me a tea party member. Others call me a bleeding heart liberal. I choose not to participate in the false left right paradigm and look at the issues individually instead of along the party line.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:14 PM

19,547 posts, read 37,254,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
I did a lot of reading on this back in 2010, and Its a rules thing that nobody wants to use for fear the other party will use when the power structure is reversed..

Like i say its been a while since I read up on it ......

The phrase "nuclear Option" may have more than one meaning here. and really they are extremely unlikely to do it.

And NO wasn't used then, but everybody was complaining that the Dems had NOT used ALL their options to overcome the 60 vote hurdle

the 60 vote rule is actually a procedural rule agreed to for that specific session, and superseding that PROCEDURAL rule involves the wording of the constitution that says "majority"
You have clearly missed a meeting. Did you watch the news last November???

And it appears you are not reading the posts on this thread. Did you even read the link I just posted??? Reid invoked the nuclear option in November 2013. Here it is again - read it:

Senate goes for ?nuclear option? - Burgess Everett and Seung Min Kim - POLITICO.com

So, your statement
Quote:
leads me to think you weren't aware of the BIG FRACAS in November of last year.

GOP is furious. And promising payback.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:49 PM

48 posts, read 55,030 times
November's 52-48 vote on the rule change ended filibustering only for votes on most nominees. SCOTUS nominations are still subject to filibuster. All legislation is still subject to filibuster. Reid would have to get at least 51 votes to change the rule about filibustering legislation. In the article Adriadne posted, the president agreed with filibustering when it's "on substance." It's very unlikely Reid can round up 51 votes to stop the filibustering of legislation, or he'd have done it.

Old 02-01-2014, 10:12 PM

48 posts, read 55,030 times
Remember the petition that I posted the url for?

MoveOn Petitions - Congress: Extend the Emergency Unemployment Compensation program through 2014

I was reading the comments underneath a Wash Post article tonight. Surprised to see a post by the lady who made the petition. She said she can't afford to go to DC and deliver it herself, so a company will deliver a hard copy of the petition to Speaker Boehner's office next week.

This isn't the only petition. There are lots of them. There are a few White House petitions, too.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:06 PM

60 posts, read 68,286 times
for those who dont know, if you go to the senate website you can watch live all day. Which to me since i have been watching is 10 minutes of talking followed by a half hour of walking around bull$***ing during cloture. then 10 more minutes of talking followed by more of the same.

U.S. Senate: Legislation & Records Home > Floor Webcast

Old 02-01-2014, 11:25 PM

19 posts, read 26,679 times
I'm willing to bet money on this, it wont pass period! Insider info is already going around that republicans will refuse anything that comes out for a vote in the house!, yes it will pass the Senate, but it will not leave the house. Get over it, this battle has been lost. Republicans being put in office is insane, they don't care, they live in a different world where money is not an issue and ideologies mean everything. I feel real bad for folks who are hopeful that some sort of extension will pass, but nothing will happen. If I were you guys I'd riot, and or find family and friends of the republican congressmen and let them know what they are doing, embarrass them, a few thousand people doing this ought to do the trick. Again let this stick in your heads, Republicans will not vote on anything in the house, EUC will not happen!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment