U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2013, 04:59 AM

67 posts, read 162,208 times

Advertisements

Suppose one is panicking right now, we've got a week and then we're cut off. You can survive a month but you don't want to blow all your money. So you take some hellish job like a dishwasher or an overnight stocker at K-Mart. Then Jan 7 comes and people formerly cut off are in luck, they decide to reinstate the extension.
But forget it, you got a job, they won't let you quit, if you try it , no benefits.
It's a catch 22, if you don't look for work and wait to Jan 7 for Congress and instead they dont pass the bill then you just wasted 2 weeks you could have been looking for work, thanks Republicans

Old 12-23-2013, 10:37 AM

154 posts, read 198,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
thanks Republicans
To be fair I didn't see any urgency from the democrats to pass an unemployment bill before they went on their 3+ week vacation either. Both sides dropped the ball as far as I see it.

Old 12-23-2013, 12:35 PM

505 posts, read 655,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin Nagant View Post
To be fair I didn't see any urgency from the democrats to pass an unemployment bill before they went on their 3+ week vacation either. Both sides dropped the ball as far as I see it.
agreed.

Old 12-24-2013, 08:37 PM

447 posts, read 731,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
Suppose one is panicking right now, we've got a week and then we're cut off. You can survive a month but you don't want to blow all your money. So you take some hellish job like a dishwasher or an overnight stocker at K-Mart. Then Jan 7 comes and people formerly cut off are in luck, they decide to reinstate the extension.
But forget it, you got a job, they won't let you quit, if you try it , no benefits.
It's a catch 22, if you don't look for work and wait to Jan 7 for Congress and instead they dont pass the bill then you just wasted 2 weeks you could have been looking for work, thanks Republicans
So work is available, but you choose to not take it and instead blame Republicans?

Old 12-25-2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtexan99 View Post
So work is available, but you choose to not take it and instead blame Republicans?
Big Texan I've been looking high and low.
One gets the illusion there are all these ****ty jobs no one wants out there that are out there waiting.
In reality there are people who fill those jobs many of them poorly educated or illegal aliens.
The more qualified person is viewed as overqualified and is assumed they will be a lot more likely to leave for a better job as soon as they can find one (and this is probably correct) So in actuality it's an illusion that there is always bottom level work available.

The simple reality is if you were layed off and eventually found a grueling terrible job if you had a couple more months extension you may have had more time to find a better job. if you were not able to find any job you might have to go on welfare or become homeless if you had no savings and no family to help you out.

Old 12-25-2013, 01:25 AM

14 posts, read 32,723 times
Is it so difficult to both look for a new job while working? Sure you can take one of the "grueling" jobs but couldn't you also try to find a better job while working it? You sound really needy and pathetic and seem to be looking for an excuse not to work.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb581 View Post
Is it so difficult to both look for a new job while working? Sure you can take one of the "grueling" jobs but couldn't you also try to find a better job while working it? You sound really needy and pathetic and seem to be looking for an excuse not to work.
read it again the crap jobs are not any more available than the good ones and they tend not to hire overqualified people for them

You're on benefits right, let us know when you get one of these jobs

Old 12-25-2013, 11:29 AM

9,604 posts, read 13,733,939 times
Quote:

We don't do this to people on here. Unemployment allows someone to find "suitable" employment. There may be reasons to take a stop-gap job, but we don't guilt people into doing it because the system doesn't require it. The flip side to your argument is that people with benefits should hold out for a better job so that someone that is cut off can get that entry level job. Then you have two people getting by rather than someone that could have gotten by on UI taking a job from someone that is destitute.

It also can create the situation where you're "working" for free. I quit when my employer gutted my compensation package. There was no way I was going to work 20 hours/week for an incremental $40 plus look for a new job vs staying home. Taking into account for transportation expenses plus no social security taxes on UI benefits, I'd have been netting less than on UI, as in, paying to work.

You might want to do take the first job that comes along, and that's fine, but you shouldn't beat someone up that knows their worth, and uses the system for it's intended purpose. UI isn't just to provide income when you're out of work. It was also designed so that it wouldn't depress wages for everyone else.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:15 AM

505 posts, read 655,809 times
If you are on UI and about to lose it, please call your elected officials after the Christmas/New Years break and tell them you want them to take immediate action on extending UI. I told my elected officials that 2014 is an election year and that I will vote the incumbent out if they do not help us regardless of Party affiliation.

TAKE ACTION! Don't allow others' marginalize your voice!

Contact Elected Officials | USA.gov

Old 12-26-2013, 02:05 PM

18,681 posts, read 15,154,636 times
Quote:
Is it so difficult to both look for a new job while working?.
Heck, I've done that for over 20 years (looked for new positions or spent many hours on Skype interviews and the like) while working , typically, 50-60 hours per week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment