U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2014, 12:36 AM

148 posts, read 207,252 times

Advertisements

Everyone let's get out there and call our Republican senators constantly. Tell them we will withhold THEIR pay until the EUC extension passes. Let's all show up at the White House and Boehners office demanding it be passed. We've all worked too hard to have our credit get ruined with late/missed payments, eviction and foreclosures, etc.

Just look at the simple numbers here. There are currently about 1.7 million now not getting EUC. Last month only 75,000 jobs were added. There are nowhere near enough jobs to go around. A simple look at these numbers will tell anyone that!!

Old 02-02-2014, 12:42 AM

19,547 posts, read 37,254,648 times
If the GOP would but watch C-Span - Fridays they do "By the Numbers." Future for average wage earner now and going forward in this country is pretty bleak. Most of the jobs created in future will be in the low-wage areas and will not require much of an education beyond high school. Always very sobering when they get the people from BLS citing their statistics. This was yesterday:

C-SPAN | U.S. Labor Force Projections

People in Congress need to get a clue. Although, I suspect they already know this, and don't want to publicly acknowledge this uncomfortable, very depressing, reality. Global labor arbitrage - exacerbated by technology - has certainly taken hold in the U.S.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 02-02-2014 at 12:52 AM..

Old 02-02-2014, 12:59 AM

31 posts, read 41,365 times
From Watchinga .com:
Senate Democrats are eying a proposal for a three-month extension of unemployment insurance to be paid for by a provision that Republicans previously supported, a Democratic aide told me. The funding would come from extending "pension smoothing" provisions in the Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act, a transportation-funding bill that comfortably passed both houses in 2012 and raised revenue through pension revisions. The extension would make payments retroactive to late December. Talks have started between Democratic leaders and Republicans, the aide said, though its unclear how advanced discussions are. The general goal, the aide said, is to offer a funding scheme that Republicans have previously backed.
So if it's a pay-for scheme that repubs in both the House and Senate have supported then an EUC extension bill has a good chance of passing. We'll have to wait and see.

Last edited by jjf2381; 02-02-2014 at 01:07 AM..

Old 02-02-2014, 01:21 AM

29 posts, read 31,944 times
I'm slightly optimistic they'll come together on a deal. Dems only have to give up something tasty for the Reps,and pension smoothing may be it. I've read several proposals for job creation are being worked on. One in particular I think would work is giving employers a $5000 tax credit for hiring the long term unemployed(over 27 weeks). With luck we'll get our extension AND opportunities for decent jobs.

Old 02-02-2014, 01:29 AM

29 posts, read 31,944 times
How are you guys certifying every week since Dec 28? In my state,TN,the Web site is telling us to certify until mid February in case the extension is passed. Are your states doing this also or are they filing for you?
It's going to be A LOT of back pay for states to send out.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:27 AM

111 posts, read 125,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
You have clearly missed a meeting. Did you watch the news last November???

And it appears you are not reading the posts on this thread. Did you even read the link I just posted??? Reid invoked the nuclear option in November 2013. Here it is again - read it:

Senate goes for ?nuclear option? - Burgess Everett and Seung Min Kim - POLITICO.com

So, your statement leads me to think you weren't aware of the BIG FRACAS in November of last year.

GOP is furious. And promising payback.
In U.S. politics, the nuclear or constitutional option, is when the presiding officer of the United States Senate rules that the validity of a Senate rule or precedent is a constitutional question. He immediately puts the issue to the full Senate, which decides by majority vote. The procedure thus allows the Senate to decide any issue by majority vote, even though the rules of the Senate specify that ending a filibuster requires the consent of 60 senators (out of 100) for legislation, 67 for amending a Senate rule. The name is an analogy to nuclear weapons being the most extreme option in warfare.

The "Big Fracas" was the exact same thing the both parties have done to each other, the Republicans threatened the same thing under Bush2 nominations, however it was avoided...This is simply politics as usual in our broken system.

I am not referring to the use of "the Constitutional Option" as related to appointments, I was thinking of the debate about its use to break the coming 60 vote barrier to actually Vote on the EUC bill.

If you have been looking at recent news they refer to needing one or two votes, These are the votes to reach the magic total of 60. They need 60 votes to actually vote and pass it with a 51 vote majority.

All this occurred, in the previous battle for EUC, when the Dems actually held a 60 vote majority in the Senate.

Old 02-02-2014, 02:40 AM

111 posts, read 125,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry View Post
How are you guys certifying every week since Dec 28? In my state,TN,the Web site is telling us to certify until mid February in case the extension is passed. Are your states doing this also or are they filing for you?
I am in Ohio reached BYE on 1-18-2014, called unemployment office and since then i can certify. The "official" statement tells us to call in every two weeks.

The worker at the UI office told me i would have to call in, but like i said i can do it via online, even though my BYE info was NOT updated. NOT the first time i have been given conflicting erroneous information

These state workers are pretty overworked IMO

Old 02-02-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
In Massachusetts you don't have to certify every week. My EUC stopped Dec. 28th 2013 and I tried to claim benefits in the following weeks because I thought you had to claim every week. The computer wouldn't let me file a weekly claim. So I went to the Unemployment office and asked about it. They told me that since I was on extended benefits; that when Congress passed a new extension; the Unemployment office would send me a letter telling me that my benefits had been extended, and if it was retroactive; that I would be receiving money back to Dec. 28th. So I'm scraping by - spending as little as possible. Just buying minimal food and not paying bills. But I can only stretch my money until maybe the end of February and then I'm out of money.

P.S. I recently got MassHealth insurance right? The plan that I picked - Neighborhood Health - sent me a letter saying that if I participated in a survey they'd give me a $25 gift card for the local grocery store. So I called and left my info and they're supposed to call me and do the survey. Every little bit helps at this point.

Last edited by jjf2381; 02-02-2014 at 03:06 PM..

Old 02-02-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin Nagant View Post
I don't disagree with that. My point however is this is all political maneuvering to gain points for democrats.
No it isn't. If the one-year EUC extension - including an extension beyond 99 weeks; did you forget the 99-weekers? - could have been passed by simply adding it to the deficit; i.e no pay-for; then it would have passed back in January. The repubs insisted on a 60-vote threshold and that it be paid for, and that's why we have this mess. The democrats have nothing to do with this delay. If an extension; including an extension beyond 99 weeks - just add it to the deficit - could have been passed with just 51 votes the democrats would have done it already.

Old 02-02-2014, 03:53 PM

4,807 posts, read 6,321,988 times
Quote:
I am in NY and they told us to continue certifying every week in case the EUC gets passed. My BYE recently ended and I was told to file a new claim. Once I filed, it said for me to call the Telephone Claims Center to complete my claim. I did and was told that, although I am not eligible for "new" benefits, I am still eligible for EUC in the event Congress passes it.

I hope they pass it. It will be nice to have some money again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment