U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-03-2014, 07:45 AM

1,171 posts, read 977,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deenix73 View Post
Thanks for finding and posting that. We were all very curious as to what was submitted but I couldn't find it last week.

It appears they are just trying to extend wheat we already had, just changing the "expiration" date to June and arguing that since it's emergency compensation it does not need to be paid for. I don't see any trade offs or ways to pay for it (unless I'm reading it wrong and I'm on pain medication for a shoulder injury so that's quite possible!) for it so I highly doubt that will ever pass the house. Do we know if this is still in committee or has it gotten through?

If anyone has a different interpretation please comment.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:43 AM

314 posts, read 225,647 times
"Senator Cory Booker (D-NJ) will deliver his first Senate floor speech today focusing on unemployment. It's scheduled for 5:45 pm ET and should be broadcast live on C-SPAN or C-SPAN2."

Old 02-03-2014, 08:58 AM

18 posts, read 13,343 times
I just got a job offer but I'm behind on a lot of bills so I was wondering if anyone on here knew if I would still get retro pay for last month even if I'm about to start working?

Old 02-03-2014, 09:14 AM

75 posts, read 52,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matmed View Post
I just got a job offer but I'm behind on a lot of bills so I was wondering if anyone on here knew if I would still get retro pay for last month even if I'm about to start working?

congrats

Old 02-03-2014, 09:57 AM

185 posts, read 97,816 times
Quote:
Yes you should, you weren't working then. Congrats!!!

Old 02-03-2014, 10:01 AM

4,114 posts, read 2,427,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msix3623 View Post
"Senator Cory Booker (D-NJ) will deliver his first Senate floor speech today focusing on unemployment. It's scheduled for 5:45 pm ET and should be broadcast live on C-SPAN or C-SPAN2."
At 5:45pm?!?!? How long is his speech going to be? 5 minutes??? Don't they break for the day at 5:30 or 6pm at the latest??

And, honestly, what good is his speech going to do? We need this bill to be put to a vote and get it passed and sent to the House!

Old 02-03-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
At 5:45pm?!?!? How long is his speech going to be? 5 minutes??? Don't they break for the day at 5:30 or 6pm at the latest??

And, honestly, what good is his speech going to do? We need this bill to be put to a vote and get it passed and sent to the House!
One night when I was watching they were going until 7 pm so I don't think there's a definitive cut off time with the senate.

And his speech will probably make everyone vote yes and bring peace in the middle east. He is the closest person to a superhero we have.

All kidding aside that man is amazing so I wouldn't underestimate him or the potential value of his speech.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:43 AM

4,114 posts, read 2,427,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
One night when I was watching they were going until 7 pm so I don't think there's a definitive cut off time with the senate.

And his speech will probably make everyone vote yes and bring peace in the middle east. He is the closest person to a superhero we have.

All kidding aside that man is amazing so I wouldn't underestimate him or the potential value of his speech.
I'm not from NJ so I don't know all that much about him. The only things I've heard about him are that he said he would live in the projects for "x" amount of time. Big deal. He had security detail, etc, and I never believed that he actually stayed there. I think it was all a big show for the first day or two and then he went back to the comfort of his own home. The other thing I heard was that he was doing that $3/day "challenge" to see if he could feed himself on $3 a day. I never heard anything about that showcase after he said he would do it.

My only opinion of him is this: People think he is so "amazing" because he's young, attractive, well-spoken, and black (and I believe gay). He was the Mayor of Newark and Newark is still the cesspool it's always been. He never "cleaned up" Newark.

I'm not sure what he's done to be considered a hero --- he was a Mayor of a city. It's not like he was Governor and made real, state-wide, positive changes for everyone.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:51 AM

26 posts, read 18,436 times
Quote:

That's what I plan to do if we get the extension. I got a job that starts next week but I've been keeping up with my search/keeping track so I'm going to go ahead and submit for the weeks I was still out of work. As long as you were looking (which, since you got a job, you were) than you are still eligible.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I'm not from NJ so I don't know all that much about him. The only things I've heard about him are that he said he would live in the projects for "x" amount of time. Big deal. He had security detail, etc, and I never believed that he actually stayed there. I think it was all a big show for the first day or two and then he went back to the comfort of his own home. The other thing I heard was that he was doing that $3/day "challenge" to see if he could feed himself on $3 a day. I never heard anything about that showcase after he said he would do it.

My only opinion of him is this: People think he is so "amazing" because he's young, attractive, well-spoken, and black (and I believe gay). He was the Mayor of Newark and Newark is still the cesspool it's always been. He never "cleaned up" Newark.

I'm not sure what he's done to be considered a hero --- he was a Mayor of a city. It's not like he was Governor and made real, state-wide, positive changes for everyone.
Um, he ran into a burning house and rescued the people in it.

Here's an article below on those things he did. He is a good man and trust me, I am not in any way attracted to him. No one can completely clean up Newark but he did great things in some areas and was starting to bring people back to the city by fixing up some neighborhoods. He answers all of his twitter tweets personally and is one of the only politicians I will defend with all my might. Like you said, you don't live here but I do so I have a lot more knowledge on the little things he did on an every day basis - things no other politician would ever do.

Cory Booker Rescues a Freezing Dog & 9 Other Things He Has Saved - The Daily Beast
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.