U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2014, 12:08 AM

2,534 posts, read 3,489,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
I feel you. I would highly suggest you grind hard before you hit that 6 month mark. I'm over a year removed from a job. I can't even get a phone interview.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Very good advice. NY Times study a while back showed those unemployed under 6 months were being hired (control study, same industries, experience, etc) at about 3 times the rate (%) as long-term unemployed.
Indeed.

I lost my job last June and had another (equal pay and benefits) in 2 days. Unfortunately that job laid me off a week ago, and since then I've already got 3 calls... 2 of which are local and want to meet later this week and the one I have my sights set on contacted me today after my phone interview Friday... they want to fly me to KC for a face to face interview in the coming days...

The latter is by far the best opportunity of the 3 but I'm still going to see what they all have to say/offer.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:13 AM

31 posts, read 41,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenthrough View Post
So what is everyone's ultimate prediction...will an extension pass or not pass?
I'm sure it will pass, and eventually be extended for the whole year. The democrats know their constituents want it. It's just a matter of arm-twisting the repubs into doing it. The repubs are talking about attaching something to the debt-ceiling increase bill. Be funny if the democrats play that game too and attach a two-year unpaid for EUC extension and double the eligible weeks from 99 to 198. That'll show them.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:04 AM

665 posts, read 795,502 times
I still think something will get done but if the Senate does not bring up any new bill this week then I will have a different opinion. All bets off at that point.

Last edited by DamageInc; 02-04-2014 at 07:28 AM..

Old 02-04-2014, 07:46 AM

314 posts, read 505,137 times
i am sure there will be a vote by the end of the week in the senate. if it doesn't pass, they should make a better one because we all know the house will ignore it or vote it down with ease. i just don't get why they are continuing this bill when they can't even get enough republicans to vote for it in the senate...there are a lot more republicans in the house who i am sure dems will have a harder time convincing. this bill is a waste of time. i am just fed up with the republicans. they said they would pass it if it was paid for. well, it is paid for but do they pass it? no,..because they want more. using us as pawns is wrong. and i will never vote for a republican to go to the senate or house in future elections.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:22 AM

544 posts, read 1,045,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray horse View Post
Yes you should, you weren't working then. Congrats!!!
Congrats as well, yes you would still get the retro pay if you're following your state's claiming process.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:30 AM

75 posts, read 93,914 times
This Mitch McConnell just makes me sick.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:39 AM

314 posts, read 505,137 times
Sen. McConnell is speaking about Lake Cumberland, a "2.5 inch minnow" that Obama took favor of... and the delay of raising the level of the lake, causing commerce to become sluggish in the area and slowing tourism. lol

is this guy for real? does he not care about the unemployed in his state..he instead is bringing this issue to congress?

Old 02-04-2014, 09:51 AM

75 posts, read 93,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msix3623 View Post
is this guy for real? does he not care about the unemployed in his state..he instead is bringing this issue to congress?

I was thinking the same thing, you can't be friggin serious. Just shows a lot of these people could care less about people starving as long as they fattin their pockets.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:56 AM

Alot of them are in the pockets of big business. And anyone notice that the Republicans don't even respond or even debate the unemployment extension anymore. They just don't want it and just want it to go away. They don't care. Frikkken fish stories..And the worst part he is serious.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:19 AM

They are still planning on getting a vote this week

Sen. Jack Reed, Rhode Island Democrat, said Tuesday that the Senate will vote on a three-month, paid-for extension to long-term unemployment benefits sometime this week.
“We are at a critical moment. It’s been 38 days since emergency unemployment compensation expired due to obstruction by Republicans in Congress,” Mr. Reed told reporters. “This week we’ll have the opportunity, I hope, to vote to renew UI.”
The federal, long-term unemployment insurance, which begins once state benefits run out, expired Dec. 28, leaving 1.7 million people currently without the insurance. The Senate’s effort to extend the benefits failed in early January when Republicans filibustered a paid-for, 11-month extension that they said didn’t offer a realistic offset, since savings came outside the 10-year budget window.

Read more: Senate to vote on unemployment insurance extension this week - Washington Times
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.