U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2014, 10:51 AM

75 posts, read 93,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post
They are still planning on getting a vote this week

Sen. Jack Reed, Rhode Island Democrat, said Tuesday that the Senate will vote on a three-month, paid-for extension to long-term unemployment benefits sometime this week.
“We are at a critical moment. It’s been 38 days since emergency unemployment compensation expired due to obstruction by Republicans in Congress,” Mr. Reed told reporters. “This week we’ll have the opportunity, I hope, to vote to renew UI.”
The federal, long-term unemployment insurance, which begins once state benefits run out, expired Dec. 28, leaving 1.7 million people currently without the insurance. The Senate’s effort to extend the benefits failed in early January when Republicans filibustered a paid-for, 11-month extension that they said didn’t offer a realistic offset, since savings came outside the 10-year budget window.

Read more: Senate to vote on unemployment insurance extension this week - Washington Times
Follow us: @washtimes on Twitter
I'm so done...then next week they'll be planning a vote again. delay delay delay. they won't get my hopes high again.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:34 AM

314 posts, read 505,305 times
is it true the republicans are away from next thursday to february 26th? you know even if it passes the senate this week, it won't pass the house next week in 3 days. look for this to be finally passed in march if we are lucky. by then, the 3 month extension will be over and this will start all over again unless they change it for longer than 3 months.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:41 AM

665 posts, read 795,688 times
The Seante goes on its monthly break where Senators work in there home district from Feb 14-Feb24 th . The House goes on there break from Feb 13-Feb 26th. So most likely any bill even if passed by the Senate by next Thursday would not be brought to the house before March (only 28 days in Feb) . Ofcourse the Democrats could try to force the House to cancel there home district break but I don't think house Republicans would listen to any request but you never know.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:42 AM

149 posts, read 266,854 times
Elizabeth Warren's senate speech from yesterday (D-MA) - very good, she is a huge advocate of unemployment extensions! I believe her speech followed Cory Booker's (D-NJ).
Watch Elizabeth Warren Slam the GOP for Blocking Unemployment Benefits | Mother Jones

Old 02-04-2014, 11:46 AM

148 posts, read 207,326 times
I just called Harry Reids office. The aide said they need 2 more Republican and then they'll have a vote. Does anyone have a list of the telephone numbers for Republicans in the Senate?

We all need to call them and tell them 1.7 million (at LEAST) are now cut off unemployment and now looking for work. And last month only about 75k jobs were added. These numbers alone say there are nowhere near enough jobs to go around. Also tell them we will withhold THEIR paychecks until this gets passed.

Start putting in massive calls and emails.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:54 AM

314 posts, read 505,305 times
a lot of people don't seem too realize why a vote is taking so long and are giving reid ****...it is because reid knows he doesn't have enough votes. which boggles my mind..how does he think this will pass in the house if it is having such a hard time passing in the senate?

Old 02-04-2014, 12:22 PM

409 posts, read 429,889 times
I just don't think it'll pass. And if it does, it'll be so late in the game most of us will be out of food and home either way.

The most mind boggling thing about this is how quiet democratic senators are about this. They discuss it inside the senate and leave it there. At this point it seems like we have to somehow organize action outside of the internet. They really aren't hearing us loud enough.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:25 PM

18,681 posts, read 15,164,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post
Alot of them are in the pockets of big business. And anyone notice that the Republicans don't even respond or even debate the unemployment extension anymore. They just don't want it and just want it to go away. They don't care. Frikkken fish stories..And the worst part he is serious.
Perhaps they bought into Biden's talk of Recovery Summer last year and agree EUC is not required. After all, Biden & Obama wouldn't lie, right?

Old 02-04-2014, 12:26 PM

149 posts, read 266,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYClass View Post
I just don't think it'll pass. And if it does, it'll be so late in the game most of us will be out of food and home either way.
...That's why I think it will pass...eventually. An influx of home foreclosures is the last thing the government (or atleast the democrats) want to see. That will make the economy even worse, and even more unrecoverable.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:31 PM

409 posts, read 429,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mialia View Post
...That's why I think it will pass...eventually. An influx of home foreclosures is the last thing the government (or atleast the democrats) want to see. That will make the economy even worse, and even more unrecoverable.
Yeah, but I'll be one of those people. I really don't want to be at the point that I'm living on the streets of New York City in winter time.

As a veteran this worries me because that's what happens to so many after a rough deployment. I just don't want to be one of the statistics but it's getting scarily close to that. I called some emergency military assistance line today but basically since I'm single with no kids there wasn't much they could do.

Not sure if it's been posted, but there's a new CNNMoney article with the same old "we hope there's vote this week" sound bite from Harry Reid

Senate deal would extend jobless benefits - Feb. 4, 2014

Doesn't seem like republicans are on board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment