U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-26-2013, 07:02 PM
 
17 posts, read 21,939 times
Reputation: 50

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Heck, I've done that for over 20 years (looked for new positions or spent many hours on Skype interviews and the like) while working , typically, 50-60 hours per week.
It is so easy for employed people to get on here, and say they would do this and they would do that. It is another thing when you are the unemployed person who has been looking for the last 6 months for any job and can't get one call back because there are 100's of applicants. These benefits are a lifeline for us and cutting them off will be devastating.

 
Old 12-26-2013, 07:21 PM
 
Location: NJ
18,681 posts, read 15,196,797 times
Reputation: 7259
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanI View Post
It is so easy for employed people to get on here, and say they would do this and they would do that. It is another thing when you are the unemployed person who has been looking for the last 6 months for any job and can't get one call back because there are 100's of applicants. These benefits are a lifeline for us and cutting them off will be devastating.
Having done it, I recognize time is not a problem. 168 hours exist every week-use them wisely. They are a gift.
 
Old 12-26-2013, 08:57 PM
 
149 posts, read 267,335 times
Reputation: 100
I really do hope that the extensions are granted. Massachusetts' unemployment rate was below 7% until December. We are now at 7.2%, and I honestly didn't realize the rate was so high here. Rhode Island is above 9%, and I really feel bad for my neighbors to the south, because so many jobs in Rhode Island have historically, and traditionally been lost to Massachusetts. People in Rhode Island look to Massachusetts for jobs, but then employers in Massachusetts don't want to hire them because "oh no, you're commute will be so long!!" ...and it really wouldn't be that long, it's called "location discrimination." and there's ALOT of that here. I live "south of the Mass Pike," which translates into a 60+ minute commute to most jobs from Southern Mass - I am automatically disqualified based off of where I live. I CAN"T TAKE IT ANYMORE!

I really want to work! I'm willing to take a 20K paycut, but the problem is finding an employer who will hire me below at a lower job level! They see my experience and assume I will quit when the economy gets better. **sigh**. Why are there so many H1-B visa holders happily employed? IN THE EXACT SAME INDUSTRY AS MYSELF??? ***things that make my blood boil****
 
Old 12-27-2013, 08:30 AM
 
47,578 posts, read 55,259,741 times
Reputation: 22053
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
Suppose one is panicking right now, we've got a week and then we're cut off. You can survive a month but you don't want to blow all your money. So you take some hellish job like a dishwasher or an overnight stocker at K-Mart. Then Jan 7 comes and people formerly cut off are in luck, they decide to reinstate the extension.
But forget it, you got a job, they won't let you quit, if you try it , no benefits.
It's a catch 22, if you don't look for work and wait to Jan 7 for Congress and instead they dont pass the bill then you just wasted 2 weeks you could have been looking for work, thanks Republicans
So the goal is to keep getting benefits, not to work?
 
Old 12-27-2013, 09:35 AM
 
506 posts, read 658,534 times
Reputation: 628
Give me a break. We should start a thread about UI in general and whether people who are on it are lazy. Can we keep to the topic?

Do you think UI will be extended into 2014? That was the original question.
 
Old 12-27-2013, 10:36 AM
 
506 posts, read 658,534 times
Reputation: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanI View Post
It is so easy for employed people to get on here, and say they would do this and they would do that. It is another thing when you are the unemployed person who has been looking for the last 6 months for any job and can't get one call back because there are 100's of applicants. These benefits are a lifeline for us and cutting them off will be devastating.
Did you say you called your elected officials already? If not, call them! We need to apply the pressure. It's an election year and we (the people on UI) need to hold their feet to the fire.
 
Old 12-27-2013, 11:35 AM
 
Location: NJ
18,681 posts, read 15,196,797 times
Reputation: 7259
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEHelp View Post
Do you think UI will be extended into 2014? That was the original question.
No, most likely it will not pass. Unemployment is down 3% since it peaked, 180k new jobs added per month, on average, for 2 straight years.
 
Old 12-27-2013, 01:19 PM
 
Location: home state of Myrtle Beach!
6,156 posts, read 16,994,188 times
Reputation: 3308
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
No, most likely it will not pass. Unemployment is down 3% since it peaked, 180k new jobs added per month, on average, for 2 straight years.
I hope they prove you wrong! No one owes you any explanation of their activities while unemployed. No one! I've lived through many recessions now. About once every 10 years we go through this; one day it may hit you and then you, and only you, will be responsible for meeting the requirements. And when you can't find a suitable job, I expect you to go throw yourself in front of McDonald's and get hired.
 
Old 12-27-2013, 08:10 PM
 
Location: NJ
18,681 posts, read 15,196,797 times
Reputation: 7259
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
No one owes you any explanation of their activities while unemployed..

No one is owed anything either, other than wages for time worked. EUC was truly like a welfare program-paid for via the general fund we all pay taxes towards.

Politically, there is nothing the fiscal conservs want badly enough for the social spend til ya drop types to trade them.
 
Old 12-27-2013, 11:07 PM
 
19 posts, read 26,710 times
Reputation: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
No one is owed anything either, other than wages for time worked. EUC was truly like a welfare program-paid for via the general fund we all pay taxes towards.

Politically, there is nothing the fiscal conservs want badly enough for the social spend til ya drop types to trade them.
I really don't understand your logic, handouts for big business is ok in tax cuts and bail outs (don't argue about, I never said that, your same type of person with tea bag ideals)
but Temporary relief for workers is fraud and outrages. This is not permanent like food stamps or welfare ,. I hope you lose your job one day, and don't take benefits., yeah right..you'd be the first one in line with hands out..LOL..Kinda like those Katrina residents that are conservative, once disaster struck... they changed their tune..so it's not my fault the government better help me too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top