U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2014, 11:32 AM

314 posts, read 536,798 times

Advertisements

i can guarantee you this bill won't pass the house. all the republicans there are stubborn..they want something that benefits them. i am sure they are pissed at reid also because a lot of bills passed the house and reid won't even bring it to the floor in the senate. i predict this bill eventually passing the senate, being voted down in the house, only for it to be followed by a new bill for a year by republicans started in the house, that will pass and eventually pass in the senate. **** that could have been done a long time ago if reid wasn't so stubborn. don't be fooled. reid is full of it and the reason why this hasn't passed yet. if he really cared about us he would do whatever he could. we are just pawns. the republicans are horrible human beings for saying that if it is paid for they will pass it, and now say no, they want it paid for and other things

Old 02-04-2014, 11:44 AM

672 posts, read 747,895 times
So where's the action? I don't even hear the news talking about it anymore. It's like UI has disappeared and is no longer relevant.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:01 PM

415 posts, read 457,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEHelp View Post
So where's the action? I don't even hear the news talking about it anymore. It's like UI has disappeared and is no longer relevant.
1.6 million out of 350 million people apparently isn't a big enough minority for people to care. If we want to make noise we have to do it ourselves.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:05 PM

672 posts, read 747,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYClass View Post
1.6 million out of 350 million people apparently isn't a big enough minority for people to care. If we want to make noise we have to do it ourselves.
You are correct but apparently none of us will lead this effort. We can post all day long but unless we organize and fight, we will be left in the dust.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:11 PM

665 posts, read 841,919 times
Yes it is a very small Minority of the country but its is growing. The Number will break 2 Million in March. As for the Press, its not a big enough story unfortunatly. Sign of the times, so many people are hurting and living in poverty, the press and even citizens are desensitized to it. Even the talk you see on the Senate floor. No one but us here watches that. Other Senators dont even watch. Almost all the time the Senator is talking to an empty room. Yesterday Sen Booker gave his maiden speech and there were 20 Senators there. Ridiculous.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:12 PM

31 posts, read 42,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msix3623 View Post
i am sure there will be a vote by the end of the week in the senate. if it doesn't pass, they should make a better one because we all know the house will ignore it or vote it down with ease. i just don't get why they are continuing this bill when they can't even get enough republicans to vote for it in the senate...there are a lot more republicans in the house who i am sure dems will have a harder time convincing. this bill is a waste of time. i am just fed up with the republicans. they said they would pass it if it was paid for. well, it is paid for but do they pass it? no,..because they want more. using us as pawns is wrong. and i will never vote for a republican to go to the senate or house in future elections.
Re: "...[T]hey should make it a better one...." The bill is just an extension of a program the repubs have voted for in the past. The program isn't the problem - repub game-playing is. They say they want to be able to propose amendments. What kind of amendments? To abolish the ACA - which the Supreme Court has already upheld and the Senate democrats would never vote for anyway. So if the repubs can't abolish all of it then how about an amendment to abolish some of it. Again the democrats will never vote for it. The repubs are just playing games. They want to propose amendments so that they can say to their rich owners that they tried - even if the democrats vote it down. The repubs want to propose amendments that stand no chance of passing so that they can go to their conservative base and say "you should give me your campaign contributions because - look! - I got the senate to vote on my proposal to abolish the ACA." Even though it was a complete waste to time.
Re: "[T]he House will ignore it or vote it down...." Don't be so sure. All of the democrats will vote for it. There are enough unemployed in republican districts that some repubs don't want to be seen in public voting against an EUC extension. This EUC extension is a hot potato that Boehner would just as soon not have to deal with. But he's going to get it, and then the pressure will be on him to allow a vote so repubs with a lot of unemployed in their districts can vote for the bill and look good to their constituents. Remember that some of these House republicans won election by only a few hundred votes. So if the unemployed in their districts vote against them come the next election - they lose their seats. Republicans in districts like that want to be seen voting for an EUC extension in order to retain their seats.

Yes there's a lot of republican game-playing going on. But the stakes are too high to NOT pass the extension, so don't lose hope; it'll pass - with much moaning and groaning from repubs about having to swallow their castor oil (because it's good for you!).

Old 02-04-2014, 12:14 PM

415 posts, read 457,718 times
The stakes don't seem very high for them.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:54 PM

75 posts, read 97,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYClass View Post
The stakes don't seem very high for them.

looks like the farm is passing...hopefully they can get this euc bill up today.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:03 PM

149 posts, read 280,980 times
Farm Bill passed! Great, I'm so sick of hearing about it. OK!!! NOW THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT EUC!!!!!!!! CSPAN 2!!!!

Old 02-04-2014, 01:05 PM

75 posts, read 97,012 times
Appears Reid is bringing the EUC bill back up for discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment