Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2014, 01:29 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,592,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post
Unfortunately for us the plan now is to use this against the Republicans at the Polls. If you read the bottom of this times article from 5 minutes ago, the House probally would never have passed it anyway,

The Senate failed to move forward on a three-month extension of assistance for the long-term unemployed on Thursday, leaving it unlikely that Congress would approve the measure soon and dealing a setback to President Obama’s economic agenda.

The vote was 55-to-42, falling short of the 60-vote threshold to break a Republican filibuster effort.

Democrats hope to turn the issue into an election year cudgel and have been blaming Republicans for ignoring people who are out of work. Republicans have balked at that as political smoke.

But even if the Senate had moved forward, getting any extension through the Republican-controlled House was going to be considerably difficult. Speaker John A. Boenher has said he would entertain a bill only if it was paid for and could stimulate job growth.

Some of his more conservative members, who said the extension would only create more debt for future generations to deal with, were even more hesitant.

“The perception that I get from the Senate right now is, ‘Times are tough. We should make times tougher on our kids to make it easier on us, and then feel better,'” said Representative James Lankford, Republican of Oklahoma. “And I think that’s just not a philosophy I’m willing to support.”

This little few billion to keep real people afloat wont break the US government
I suggest the senators don't fall all over themselves jumping on a bandwagon

and voting for any other Trillion Dollar foreign wars, now that could make a difference

Old 02-06-2014, 01:31 PM

424 posts, read 592,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I have a modest suggestion: Hold your own self accountable. The government is not your Daddy.
Lol. Tell that to the vets who just got cut off of EUC waiting for government "promises" for jobs.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:34 PM

424 posts, read 592,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post

This little few billion to keep real people afloat wont break the US government
I suggest the senators don't fall all over themselves jumping on a bandwagon

and voting for any other Trillion Dollar foreign wars, now that could make a difference
Well yeah. I believe the military bill for defense this fiscal year is $586 billion.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:36 PM

18 posts, read 28,685 times
Its a damn shame smh

Old 02-06-2014, 01:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,332 times
Im one of those Vets. Dale wouldn't last five min in my world. His mouth would cost him a shattered jaw. Im so tired of this country and its division. What ever happened to help thy neighbor? We used to be a nation that stuck together and lent a helping hand. We are f*cked for a lack of better words.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:38 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,710,492 times
I love how they will toss BILLIONS to other countries for "Aid" but won't take care of their own people right here in the US. Sickening.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:46 PM

15 posts, read 21,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I love how they will toss BILLIONS to other countries for "Aid" but won't take care of their own people right here in the US. Sickening.
I feel the same way. I'm a US Marine Corps vet. I have been on 2 deployments. I'm 29 yrs old, this is the 1st time in my life I have ever been on unemployment. But the gov. says F*CK its own citizens and veterans but lets go save the FN world and stick our nose in every situation that happens abroad.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:59 PM

60 posts, read 83,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJustice03 View Post
I feel the same way. I'm a US Marine Corps vet. I have been on 2 deployments. I'm 29 yrs old, this is the 1st time in my life I have ever been on unemployment. But the gov. says F*CK its own citizens and veterans but lets go save the FN world and stick our nose in every situation that happens abroad.
I feel you. Vet of two different branches of military. And last job was government funded and they cut funding during budget deal causing me to be laid off.

So yes to all the people with their uncalled for comments, the government IS responsible for my situation. A 30 year government research study being defunded is the very reason that I am on unemployment.

Old 02-06-2014, 02:11 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,934,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post
The Senate failed to move forward on a three-month extension of assistance for the long-term unemployed on Thursday, leaving it unlikely that Congress would approve the measure soon and dealing a setback to President Obama’s economic agenda.

The vote was 55-to-42, falling short of the 60-vote threshold to break a Republican filibuster effort.
They should work on the House side first anyway, as any EUC bill of any duration is going to be scrutinized for costs far more there, and if they can come up with something of any duration which would pass the House, the Senate vote would be a formality.

I think it would be better for all if they created a unemployment rate table which automatically set (forever, not just for a year) the maximum number of tiers and weeks adjusted quarterly based on the new national official unemployment rate.

Remove the politics long-term.

Old 02-06-2014, 03:06 PM

31 posts, read 48,143 times
Harry Reid could do what he did with respect to Presidential appointments and vote to eliminate the 60-vote threshold. Then the UI bill would get passed and sent over to the House. I've no doubt that the UI extension is a hot potato that the House doesn't want to deal with. Also; the UI extension could get attached to the debt-ceiling increase bill which the repubs have already said they don't want to fight over. I'm so tired of all this BS political maneuvering at our expense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.