Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2014, 05:16 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,681,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post
I didnt say I want them to give wither but thats pretty much what Mitch Mconnel and J Boehner said. Mitch McConnel offered a 1 year unpaid extension of benefits for a 1 year delay in the Obamacare Mandate (Pre existing conditions) . Boehner basically said keystone is what he wants.
OMG! They can't even agree to what they want in their own party! How sad is that!

Old 02-09-2014, 05:22 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,681,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Getting a bill passed is Politics 101, and it always involves a deal, compromise, giving up something you'd rather not.
I know that but the thing that really bothers me is this should not be a republican vs democrat issue. This affects everyone. I can't tell if they are really that out of touch with the working class or if they are doing this to stall the economy for election time because it's certainly not for the people who elected them to office. Reid could write a check for the 3 month extension and McConnell would say no, he wants amendments! This is going to severely hurt the economy and we are up to 1.7 million people now who will default on credit cards, get evicted/foreclosed on, cars repossessed, go hungry, etc. I feel like we are moving back to 2008. Have we learned nothing?

Old 02-10-2014, 04:13 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,943,010 times
This is a gentle reminder to follow the rules for making posts in the Unemployment forum as stipulated here:

Please read before making your first post

In addition, discussing moderator actions (including discussing this post) is a violation of the Terms of Service.

Thanks for your help in keeping the Unemployment forum informative and free from divisive posts.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 02-10-2014, 06:10 AM

544 posts, read 1,439,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenthrough View Post
The double dipping with disability and unemployment seems very reasonable to me. Harry Reid really needs stop playing politics with this too. He is fighting hard for us but needs to consider some of these reasonable amendments.

Has there been much coverage about the extension? I don't have cable TV so can't follow what's going on. My fear is they are hoping we just fade away and forget about the extension.
It is an awful idea. Here's a link to a story from the LA Times about it. As someone just diagnosed with MS last month, I'm busy looking for a job and terrified that I may end up on disability.

People don't understand that to be eligible for disability you MUST be unemployed for 6 MONTHS. I think the government ASSUMES that most people are WORKING when they become disabled which MAY OR MAY NOT give them short term and long term disability. I was already having symptoms of MS when I was laid off last year (unbeknownst to me), had I known when I was still working then I would have done short term and long term disability FIRST, before turning to unemployment.

Once you apply for Social Security disability, you must PROVE that you are to sick/disabled to hold a full time job. It takes another 5 MONTHS to even have your case heard by an Administrative Law Judge. Now you're up to 11 months with NO INCOME if you can't claim unemployment. Most of the time you have to hire a lawyers to file all the paperwork for disability. Said lawyer is ALLOWED by Social Security 25% of your back pay if you're approved for disability. Social Security also makes sure that if you were collecting unemployment benefits, that those benefits are paid back out of the back pay. Most people who end up disabled LOSE EVERYTHING while waiting for a decision on their benefits. This could happen to ANYONE!

The "double dipping" going on is supposed to be a transition for people on disability back to work, either full time or part time. Most of the time, they cannot go back to the job they once held and made more money at. The maximum amount you can make working on disability is $1070.00 per month. If you get $1100 a month disability, you are now making $2170.00 per month. Of course your disability payment can be more depending on how high your income is when you become disabled. If you make more than $1070.00 per month, then money is taken from you dollar for dollar just like unemployment.

Seniors are allowed to work and make unlimited amounts of money and still collect Social Security what do you think AARP would do if Congress tried to do that to them? Granted there are people out there who cheat the system, but they are few and far between.

Disabled people have very few advocates. I certainly didn't think too much about it until the MS possibility reared it's ugly head. Believe me I cannot stand sitting around all day and not working. I'm now looking for part time jobs to stack so I can have money coming in since my UIB runs out on 2/23/14. Unfortunately, those part time jobs for me at least will be limited to what I can physically do. Everyone should be outraged that Congress would try to do this. From what I know, only 117,000 people are "double-dipping" that system at a cost of $100 million dollars which is a drop in the bucket compared to what we're looking at for UIB.

An awful idea: Hammer the disabled to pay for unemployment benefits - latimes.com

Old 02-10-2014, 09:38 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,408,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post
I didnt say I want them to give wither but thats pretty much what Mitch Mconnel and J Boehner said. Mitch McConnel offered a 1 year unpaid extension of benefits for a 1 year delay in the Obamacare Mandate (Pre existing conditions) . Boehner basically said keystone is what he wants.
if this is true then they should have agreed on that. a year will go by anyways and obamacare still will have problems

all of them seem pretty stupid

on top of that, if evil republicans want keysyone then give it to them. a pipeline doesn't build itself so that would mean jobs and extended benefits for those in need

did I miss something here ?

Old 02-10-2014, 11:21 AM

132 posts, read 220,641 times
I just spoke with my dad about this situation, he also agree the democrats should just go ahead make the 1 year unemployment deal to allow the pipeline to be built. It a win-win situation. John Boehner approach is better than Mitch Mc Connelly approach.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:26 AM

839 posts, read 1,208,946 times
I wish they would but its not a win win depending on who you talk to , Obama and most Democrats dont support the pipeline . (Obama said he would reassess his stance in 90 days after the report is finalized) Obama can still change his mind in 90 days but he has most Democrats and environmental groups telling him no . Again personally I would love it and would be 100% behind it but you would get alot of Democrats not supporting it.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:08 PM

75 posts, read 110,870 times
Harry Reid just said they'll vote again in the weeks to come. NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We need this vote now!!!!

Old 02-10-2014, 12:11 PM

839 posts, read 1,208,946 times
Basically Harry Reid said they do not have the votes and does not see them getting the votes unless the Republicans stop there obstruction or they get 1 republican vote and some time in the future they will try to vote again if they can get the votes. But for now its done. They are moving on to the minimum wage battle.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:14 PM

11 posts, read 16,933 times
They will push and try to vote on euc again Harry Reid just said...and the minimum wage will be voted on as well..we all know they fell 1 vote short..for euc to pass just have to wait it out we have no choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment