U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-29-2013, 10:07 PM
 
Location: NJ
18,677 posts, read 16,464,849 times
Reputation: 7274

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkit007 View Post
Im tired im really tired we spend millions in aid and overseas operations war..ect... but are we neglected here at home what happend to the good old US of A! What happened to the pride of being an American full of patriotism. .maybe I was spolied being an 80's Kid. or maybe not Yo Joe..
Patriotism and EUC are apples and oranges. Totally unrelated.

 
Old 12-29-2013, 10:18 PM
 
Location: Pittsburgh
7,542 posts, read 8,093,854 times
Reputation: 3468
Unemployment compensation will come to an end sooner or later, its just the nature of the program.

Back in the early 1980's, thousands of men that worked in the mills here in Pittsburgh were laid off, the unemployment rate was more than 25% in towns like McKeesport. After a maximum of about 65 weeks at the peak, the checks came to an end and that was that.

Just try to be prepared, a lot of Pennsylvanians moved to other parts of the country to find employment back then- have you considered moving to places that are doing better than where you are at? North Dakota or Texas, for example, or consider other lines of work?
 
Old 12-29-2013, 11:00 PM
 
101 posts, read 193,079 times
Reputation: 68
here's the WSJ article

As the Politics Play Out, Key Jobless Benefit Lapses - WSJ.com
POLITICS AND POLICY

As the Politics Play Out, Key Jobless Benefit Lapses
By BRENDA CRONIN


The long-term unemployed who face expiring payments are found in every state except North Carolina, which had its extended benefits cut off earlier this year after failing to meet federal guidelines. Since extended unemployment was eliminated in the state, its jobless rate has tumbled. But much of the decline is from people dropping out of the labor force.

Last edited by jonbenson; 12-29-2013 at 11:21 PM..
 
Old 12-30-2013, 03:21 AM
 
19 posts, read 28,123 times
Reputation: 70
Just vote these clowns out (Republicans), and for all the people here screaming to ends EU benefits I am praying every night that you lose your job or business. If you wanna cut services spending, go to Mexico and see the effect it has on society poor roads, poor education, poor infrastructure..it all sets up for human exploitation. This is what they want, to exploit others that don't have the means. That's ok what comes around,.. goes around. We have to treat the conservative movement as a serious threat to the nation! These are the same type of people, who want to be helped by the government when things don't go well. These people are insane, they don't even understand their own party or themselves, it's poor as people in Louisiana who vote red, but like democrat policies..I just came here for info, and these right wing nuts are ruining the thread..cast these idiots out
 
Old 12-30-2013, 08:02 AM
 
747 posts, read 807,358 times
Reputation: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenu45 View Post
Just vote these clowns out (Republicans), and for all the people here screaming to ends EU benefits I am praying every night that you lose your job or business. If you wanna cut services spending, go to Mexico and see the effect it has on society poor roads, poor education, poor infrastructure..it all sets up for human exploitation. This is what they want, to exploit others that don't have the means. That's ok what comes around,.. goes around. We have to treat the conservative movement as a serious threat to the nation! These are the same type of people, who want to be helped by the government when things don't go well. These people are insane, they don't even understand their own party or themselves, it's poor as people in Louisiana who vote red, but like democrat policies..I just came here for info, and these right wing nuts are ruining the thread..cast these idiots out
Again, I certainly didn't see the Democrats forcing the issue would they could have in the budget deal. Vote ALL of them out. They are one in the same.

It's a double standard. Case in point, bailouts that you and I paid for and were passed on a bi-partisan basis. Those with wealth and power get breaks. Those without, don't.
 
Old 12-30-2013, 10:18 AM
 
17 posts, read 23,113 times
Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by duttygal86 View Post
What I don't get - after reading and researching on this issue, is why benefits are cut cold turkey instead of continuing the phase out. From a maximum of 99 weeks, we are down to a high of 73(74?) in states with a high UE percentage. Why not continue that trend, instead of cutting people off three days after Christmas? I spent a whopping total of 80 bucks on my 12 year old for Christmas (and she was so grateful), I paid my rent - and now I have a few hundred dollars to sustain me until this mess clears, or a miracle job comes through. Why the psychological torment for claimants every year? I have been laid off 3 times since 2010 and both other times I found work in less than a month, but this time is different.
I agree with you entirely. The psychological torment is the worst. Now they are saying that they may extend it for 3 months, and then we will see. This is cruel punishment to the unemployed, so every 3 months we are going to have to go through this again.
 
Old 12-30-2013, 12:30 PM
 
747 posts, read 807,358 times
Reputation: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanI View Post
I agree with you entirely. The psychological torment is the worst. Now they are saying that they may extend it for 3 months, and then we will see. This is cruel punishment to the unemployed, so every 3 months we are going to have to go through this again.
That is what we get for being dependent on the Government to take action. No one gives a hoot so don't expect any sympathy.
 
Old 12-30-2013, 01:40 PM
 
Location: home state of Myrtle Beach!
6,236 posts, read 18,161,132 times
Reputation: 3420
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanI View Post
I agree with you entirely. The psychological torment is the worst. Now they are saying that they may extend it for 3 months, and then we will see. This is cruel punishment to the unemployed, so every 3 months we are going to have to go through this again.
Yes, it is cruel but it doesn't mean they will do it every 3 months. The last time they did a temporary fix, they came back and passed it for the whole year the next time.
 
Old 12-30-2013, 01:49 PM
 
744 posts, read 807,716 times
Reputation: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
Yes, it is cruel but it doesn't mean they will do it every 3 months. The last time they did a temporary fix, they came back and passed it for the whole year the next time.
I think if a 3 month extension is passed it will then be passed for the entire year. More than likely if a 3 month temporary extension is filed this will give congress 3 months to determine what new legislation will be. Less weeks, Less tires, etc....
 
Old 12-30-2013, 02:17 PM
 
17 posts, read 23,113 times
Reputation: 50
[quote=UEHelp;32799930]That is what we get for being dependent on the Government to take action. No one gives a hoot so don't expect any sympathy.[/Q

Happy Holidays to you too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top