U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-10-2014, 11:53 PM

148 posts, read 95,014 times
Is it just me or does it seem like there isn't much activity on this board? Considering there are 1.7 million others in this same boat you'd never know it.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:59 PM

15,674 posts, read 6,152,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenthrough View Post
Is it just me or does it seem like there isn't much activity on this board? Considering there are 1.7 million others in this same boat you'd never know it.
I am employed, and follow the issue as I generally follow politics closely. With unemployment down 3.5% or so versus its peak, and 4 million jobs added the last 2 years, naturally the push for EUC is hardly the slam dunk it was in early 2009.

IMO this should have been set long-term by a table, i.e. perhaps a rate (national official rate) 6-6.9% merits X weeks, 7-7.9% X plus 5 weeks, 8-8.9% X plus 10 weeks, etc.

Not be politicized all the time.

We tabled SS-it is raised or not raised based on COL indexes. That was the smart thing to do.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:36 AM

324 posts, read 146,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenthrough View Post
Most unemployed don't have internet (or phones). My phone will likely be off starting next week so I hope a job calls me in the next couple days.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:01 AM

201 posts, read 343,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYClass View Post
Most unemployed don't have internet (or phones). My phone will likely be off starting next week so I hope a job calls me in the next couple days.
Good luck, yeah I haven't payed my internet bill, still have a few days until they disrupt it if it's not payed.

Old 02-11-2014, 05:22 AM

524 posts, read 617,319 times
I've been lurking. ....For anyone from Nevada, I called the other day and they said to keep claiming my weeks....How long can this go on?

Old 02-11-2014, 06:08 AM

29 posts, read 17,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duttygal86 View Post
I've been lurking. ....For anyone from Nevada, I called the other day and they said to keep claiming my weeks....How long can this go on?
The TN site says to claim until the 15th. Not sure what happens then. Maybe we're just swept under the rug,to be forgotten.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:26 AM

420 posts, read 223,552 times
If you look at the number of people who view the posts here versus the number of people who actually post, you see the problem. Again, human nature. Many don't want to get involved and would rather have others' fight their battles. They can't even take 2 minutes to call their elected officials to complain about UI extensions but then complain when nothing gets done.

While we're discussing Unemployment extensions here, this is to me the fundamental problem behind why our country is so screwed up.

If people cared as much about UI extensions then the new episode of "The Walking Dead", we would have much more action. Sad.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:16 AM

148 posts, read 95,014 times
So true. When I called my representatives they said "we've had a few calls on that". I couldn't believe it. 1.8 million people left out in the cold and only a few had made calls to their representatives about an extension. Perhaps the Republicans were right in calling us lazy.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:30 PM

581 posts, read 327,877 times
I think most are not posting anymore because there gone. The extension is pretty much a dead issue for the foreseeable future. The damage is already done , Reality has to set in at some point . I wish everyone here the best , hope everyone finds a job and good luck.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:27 PM

12 posts, read 7,655 times
I have been visiting this site often(it took me some time to find it) my family is in the same boat! I guess I should stay on topic, about weather or not i think unemployment benefits will be extended? 2013 was a terrible year for my family and 2014 was looking better until I realized our extended benefits were going to be cut off. I was hopefully for a quick resolution but my hope became desperation. My husband had never collected any unemployment (this was his first layoff) he has since found a lower paying job last week thank god, and we had to cash in 401k to pay the mortgage another month.. phew! Now i am realizing my tax return could be gone or I could end up owing... imagine that being without any money and now I may have to pay them... anyways I am still hopeful they will come to some agreement. They cant just forget about it ALL. Wish everyone the best of luck! i found this article there doesn't seem to be many news articles about the unemployed..

Last edited by KDD82; 02-11-2014 at 01:35 PM.. Reason: the link didnt post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.