U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-26-2014, 09:55 AM
 
60 posts, read 71,842 times
Reputation: 49

Advertisements

Republicans are Still Holding the Unemployment Benefits Extension Hostage - US News

 
Old 02-26-2014, 10:20 AM
 
27 posts, read 37,725 times
Reputation: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by deenix73 View Post
Just got a call about a job with Johnson & Johnson. They asked when was my last job in research..told them early last year and was told that that was to much of a gap. Wow..
Next time LIE. Honestly. LIE.. This is because there are no laws protecting labors. ( almost) if you are ready and capable to do the job, your age, race how long you have been unemployed does not matter. This time around play with you employment dates. If they are stupid enough to ask , they deserve a false answer.
 
Old 02-26-2014, 11:03 AM
 
46 posts, read 50,799 times
Reputation: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by enedesigns View Post
Next time LIE. Honestly. LIE.. This is because there are no laws protecting labors. ( almost) if you are ready and capable to do the job, your age, race how long you have been unemployed does not matter. This time around play with you employment dates. If they are stupid enough to ask , they deserve a false answer.

Well Said. I'm forsure going to Lie. I been laid off Since June 2013. So maybe that's why I wont/can't get hired anywhere.
 
Old 02-26-2014, 11:21 AM
 
75 posts, read 98,076 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by enedesigns View Post
Next time LIE. Honestly. LIE.. This is because there are no laws protecting labors. ( almost) if you are ready and capable to do the job, your age, race how long you have been unemployed does not matter. This time around play with you employment dates. If they are stupid enough to ask , they deserve a false answer.

Umm...they can easily fact check her resume or references from her prior employer. I guess your references can lie for you too. Never good to LIE. You will find a job...what's for you will be for you.
 
Old 02-26-2014, 01:17 PM
 
60 posts, read 71,842 times
Reputation: 49
Thing is my resume says that i am working. Just not in my field. I have a EIN for a company that i used to have..a unsuccessful graphic design business..so my resume actual says i have been self employed since i was layed off. Which since i do still get some freelance work now and then is technically true.
 
Old 02-26-2014, 03:26 PM
 
314 posts, read 549,134 times
Reputation: 123
as far as your last job that you got laid off from, just say that you still work there but they (the job you got laid off from) don't know that you want to leave so you prefer that they (the job you are applying for) do not call them. it is that simple. they won't call them in that situation
 
Old 02-26-2014, 03:28 PM
 
11 posts, read 14,987 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGalvan View Post
Well Said. I'm forsure going to Lie. I been laid off Since June 2013. So maybe that's why I wont/can't get hired anywhere.

This certainly needs to addressed. I was out for 22 months landed a job. Worked for 3 years out for 5 months landed a job. Job was cut in two months. Benefits ran out 3 weeks ago. Questioned why I was on an old claim and not a new one. Their answer "Claims remain open for a year" My response, " So I can only collect for 26 weeks yet you keep my claim open for 52. Doesn't add up." Her: "That is how ct does it". The good news is if I still do not have a job by May. I can put in for the new claim. Or, is that really good news.
 
Old 02-26-2014, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
20,565 posts, read 40,996,361 times
Reputation: 13789
Quote:
Originally Posted by msix3623 View Post
as far as your last job that you got laid off from, just say that you still work there but they (the job you got laid off from) don't know that you want to leave so you prefer that they (the job you are applying for) do not call them. it is that simple. they won't call them in that situation
Well, seeing as how his last job was in Pennsylvania, and he, deenix, is now living in North Carolina and has been for a long time, that would be kind of hard. Unless, he's moved back to PA in the past few weeks - which would be a very good idea. Minnesota and many other states near PA would have better opportunities for employment than NC, with its phony 6.9% UE rate (in reality over 9%) and regressive social policies.

Unemployment Rates for States
 
Old 02-26-2014, 04:23 PM
 
154 posts, read 211,620 times
Reputation: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by enedesigns View Post
Next time LIE. Honestly. LIE.. This is because there are no laws protecting labors. ( almost) if you are ready and capable to do the job, your age, race how long you have been unemployed does not matter. This time around play with you employment dates. If they are stupid enough to ask , they deserve a false answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msix3623 View Post
as far as your last job that you got laid off from, just say that you still work there but they (the job you got laid off from) don't know that you want to leave so you prefer that they (the job you are applying for) do not call them. it is that simple. they won't call them in that situation
While I agree with you guys that it is unfair that employers discriminate against people in this way you should be careful about lying on a job application. Most employers will fire you on the spot if they find out after you are hired that you lied on your application. Furthermore you would likely not qualify for unemployment when you do get fired. If you think you can get away with it go for it but be careful and think of the consequences of getting caught.
 
Old 02-26-2014, 04:41 PM
 
60 posts, read 71,842 times
Reputation: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin Nagant View Post
While I agree with you guys that it is unfair that employers discriminate against people in this way you should be careful about lying on a job application. Most employers will fire you on the spot if they find out after you are hired that you lied on your application. Furthermore you would likely not qualify for unemployment when you do get fired. If you think you can get away with it go for it but be careful and think of the consequences of getting caught.
Which is exactly why I just added my business to my resume. Even though im not making any money i do have my incorp papers..my ein..my d&b number and all to back up being self employed. It looks better than a big empty space for the time since i was laid off..only issue is them asking howlong i have been out of lab..pharma and research. That and being told im over qualified.
On another note i switched internet companies so i should have a phone and net for at least another month. Anything to survive during this mess
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top