U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2014, 04:49 PM

17 posts, read 23,084 times

Advertisements

I live in Illinois and I called and emailed Rep. Schakowsky, Dick Durbin, and Mark Kirk. I let them know this is a life line for the unemployed, and we will remember in November. I especially stressed this to Mark Kirk who is a Republican that he needs to work with the Democrats. Also, the Democrats are saying that they may not have the votes to pass even a 3 month extension b/c Republicans want it paid for. Democrats Basically Out Of Options For Passing Unemployment Insurance

Old 01-03-2014, 05:13 PM

20,798 posts, read 41,440,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEHelp View Post
And how do we address the problem of who is counted and who isn't?
We can't - other than putting enormous political pressure on our elected representatives to change the method of calculating unemployment.

There has always been shadow unemployment due to people running out of benefits and no longer being counted, and others who've just given up looking for work.

NC had a UE rate of over 9%, which miraculously dropped to 7.5% in two months when it no longer qualified to pay EUC to its unemployed. If anyone believes 7.5% in NC is a real figure, I've got a bridge to nowhere they might want to buy. But it's great political fodder for TPTB in that state - and totally untrue.

The UE rates are, in many ways, very unreflective of the true state of employent, but JQPublic can't do a thing about it. Established procedure, complained about for years.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:15 AM

747 posts, read 804,950 times
You rock duncan1

Old 01-04-2014, 11:30 AM

17 posts, read 23,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEHelp View Post
You rock duncan1
Thanks UEHelp. I will be calling Mark Kirk everday. As you know Illinois is a very blue state, and Mark Kirk won his seat by thin margins. He better watch his back! We all need to be calling our members of Congress.

Old 01-04-2014, 11:58 AM

665 posts, read 867,469 times
Mark Kirk is one of the 4 Swing votes in the Senate for this extension. His vote is needed. Keep up hte good work Duncan1

Old 01-04-2014, 03:38 PM

20,798 posts, read 41,440,451 times
There's a distinct lack of appetite in the House for an extension. In spite of all the talk on cable news, reporters from The Hill, Politico and others, appearing on C-Span the last few weeks are pessimistic on any extensions - because of House resistance. Pressure needs to be put on the GOP in a big way.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:19 PM

747 posts, read 804,950 times
Ariandne22...can you provide a list of Representatives on the GOP side that would be good to call? I think both parties need to hear from us in a big way now.

Old 01-05-2014, 08:59 AM

19,655 posts, read 8,221,517 times
Saw ABC This Week this morning. Rand Paul appears to be softening opposition to extension. Kentucky unemployment rate is 8.2, so maybe he received a few calls himself.

Paul says he'll back unemployment benefits extension if costs are offset - Washington Times

Leading Republicans' states among worst hit by jobless benefits cuts | World news | theguardian.com

Old 01-05-2014, 10:41 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,176,731 times
Are you guys writing letters to congressmen/women not in your state? I sent an e-mail letter to the republican congressman in my district. I can send the same letter to the others in my state as well but wasn't sure if they would really care since they're not in my district. What is everyone else doing? I'd love to send one to Rand Paul but no matter how hard I try I know profanity would slip in there somewhere, LOL. Even his father isn't against the extension - he wants corporate welfare dealt with first.

I didn't bother with the senators in my state since I don't think Cory Booker or Bob Menendez even have a fleeting thought of voting against it LOL.

Let me know what you are all doing.

Here's a good link that will tell you who your congressmen/women are based on your zip code:
Find Your Representative House.gov

Start writing people if you haven't done so already!!!!

Old 01-05-2014, 11:27 AM

154 posts, read 212,906 times
A few questions I have here. First of all I am finding a lot of articles about the vote coming up in the Senate tomorrow but almost nothing about the House. Does anyone have any information about that? Secondly I am seeing a lot of republicans say they would support an extension if cuts were made elsewhere to offset the cost. I do not believe this to be too unreasonable so why aren't democrats even considering cuts that could be made elsewhere? It would seem that would make this whole process go a whole lot smoother. If democrats would have looked at things that could have been cut from the budget a couple months ago maybe a law would have passed before benefits expired. I think to say the democrats are the heroes in this and republicans are totally to blame is a little unfair. I didn't see the democrats pushing too hard to have the extension added to the budget before it passed either. This is a political football both sides will try to use come election time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment