Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2014, 11:57 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times

Advertisements

I think it's disgusting that they wait to the last minute to figure this stuff out. People have bills to pay, jobs to find, and don't need this extra stress.

We have so many "bill writers" in the house and not one of them is smart enough to come up with an appropriate solution. So they just keep passing these stupid extensions at the last minute.

They really need to define a long term plan where Unemployment behaves like an insurance. It should have long-term benefits built in for situations like this. It should not require constant extensions. The longer a person is on the insurance, the higher their premiums get when they find a job. That way we don't have people so worried about whether it will be extended... and we don't have other people worried about tax dollars going towards it... since they won't be anymore.

Old 03-16-2014, 03:37 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,681,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I think it's disgusting that they wait to the last minute to figure this stuff out. People have bills to pay, jobs to find, and don't need this extra stress.

We have so many "bill writers" in the house and not one of them is smart enough to come up with an appropriate solution. So they just keep passing these stupid extensions at the last minute.

They really need to define a long term plan where Unemployment behaves like an insurance. It should have long-term benefits built in for situations like this. It should not require constant extensions. The longer a person is on the insurance, the higher their premiums get when they find a job. That way we don't have people so worried about whether it will be extended... and we don't have other people worried about tax dollars going towards it... since they won't be anymore.
Agreed. They definitely need to do something. Another solution is to have some type of law that states when EUC benefits will be in effect based on the long term unemployment rate and set that rate. I have heard a lot of Senators/Congressmen/women saying it was only meant to help until unemployment was down and it is down but it's still much higher than when they initially put this into effect for the long term unemployed (and even short term). The problem is you can play the statistics game to be in anyone's favor and that needs to be removed and a rate for long term UI set in stone but I agree it needs to be paid for at some point.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:26 AM

314 posts, read 697,759 times
so i tried to claim in nj just like i have every sunday after my regular benefits ended the first week of february. before it would tell me no benefits were available for me at this time. now it says i can not certify online but to call the unemployment number. should i bother calling?

Old 03-16-2014, 08:42 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msix3623 View Post
so i tried to claim in nj just like i have every sunday after my regular benefits ended the first week of february. before it would tell me no benefits were available for me at this time. now it says i can not certify online but to call the unemployment number. should i bother calling?

Of course you should!!! Why wouldn't you?!?!? Pick up the phone and call first thing tomorrow morning. If the recording tells you it's going to be a long wait, just put it on speaker and go about your business until they answer.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:17 AM

12 posts, read 15,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenthrough View Post
I read an article today that said the people who were already in an extension ( meaning those who were in one of the tiers before dec. 28 would get retro pay. anyone who ran out of the regular claim after January would not get retro benefits
Do you have the link to this article?

Old 03-16-2014, 09:57 AM

94 posts, read 162,438 times
Default this would suk

Quote:
Originally Posted by msix3623 View Post
I hope that is not the case. I doubt it. Ran out lg regular benefits the first week of february

same boat here

my reg state UE ended February and I cant file for tier 1 right now

so if the bill signs/passes end of april and the bill only last to may 31...WE GET 4 WEEKS OF EUC?

I want to be able to claim my weeks RIGHT NOW!

this is going to be a mess

Old 03-16-2014, 11:35 AM

839 posts, read 1,208,849 times
Would make no sense if that was true. I searched everywhere and cant find this as a fact. Think about it. there was only just over 1 Million on Dec28th and now its at 2.1 Million and by the time its enacted that figure will be way more so there exclusing more then half. . Also in the announcment Reed said this "the measure will restore benefits, retroactively, to more than 2 million long-term unemployed workers who have been denied this crucial support during the harshest winter the nation has experienced in years." . He said 2 Million which would be everyone up until May .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroOne View Post
This would be devastating news to lot's of people expecting back pay. I'm scared to death that I'm not going to qualify. I got my last regular state check on 1/1/14. Exactly 3 day's after EUC ended. Plus, I start back to work full time this coming Tuesday. Add those two things together and I bet I'm gonna get screwed out of back pay. Very worried. And I'll be very angry if starting a $9.00 an hr job knocks me out of benefits. It's like I'll be punished for going back to work.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:38 AM

For those wondering about how difficult and long it will be to see any money. Read this article from 2010 when there was a delay and retro payments and it was a mess. Took months for some to see there money. and this situation is twice as bad.

Unemployment Extension Benefits 2010 -States that Have Received Retro & Checks and the States Still Waiting - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Old 03-16-2014, 11:50 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,681,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post
For those wondering about how difficult and long it will be to see any money. Read this article from 2010 when there was a delay and retro payments and it was a mess. Took months for some to see there money. and this situation is twice as bad.

Unemployment Extension Benefits 2010 -States that Have Received Retro & Checks and the States Still Waiting - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com
Oh crap......

Seems appropriate though. It seems we get screwed no matter what they do. By the time people get paid this time around it will be June and what address do people use when they're living out of their car (that is if they had one and didn't sell it before they were evicted?). The majority of Congress still have NO clue how real people live and living hand to mouth or paycheck to paycheck is unfathomable to them so therefore it does not exist.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:53 AM

Me personally , I think this will pass by end of April the latest BUT i am planning (In NJ) to have to be without any funds until mid June the earliest . if i get it earlier , great but odds are your looking at 4 weeks minimum and most likely longer in most states. They really screwed us good this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment