U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-16-2014, 08:00 PM

350 posts, read 202,264 times
Ariadne22, I would appreciate your input on the following. Consider the situation where a claimant received a severance package, and the UI benefits started after the corresponding severance period had elapsed. In this situation, the time duration (months) from 12/28/2014 to the anniversary of the initial claim is less than the corresponding months remaining in the tier system.

In this situation, if the EUC extension is passed would the claimant be eligible to receive the remaining funds in the tier system, or would the anniversary date kick in and shorten the available funds in the tier system?

Old 03-16-2014, 09:01 PM

13,126 posts, read 16,010,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanglow View Post
Consider the situation where a claimant received a severance package, and the UI benefits started after the corresponding severance period had elapsed. In this situation, the time duration (months) from 12/28/2014 to the anniversary of the initial claim is less than the corresponding months remaining in the tier system.

In this situation, if the EUC extension is passed would the claimant be eligible to receive the remaining funds in the tier system, or would the anniversary date kick in and shorten the available funds in the tier system?
If you began EUC before the lapse, and Congress passes legislation retro, you probably will be able to continue to collect. Under normal circumstances, a bye does not affect anything, except the states need to verify there is no new claim eligibility.

If you did not begin EUC before the lapse, you would be eligible for EUC only if Congress passes legislation retro allowing those who were eligible after the lapse but could not transition because of the lapse. In that case, you get whatever the new program is. The old tiers no longer apply. I think I'm understanding your question, correctly??

EUC must always begin on or before the state claim benefit year has expired. Under previous legislation, a legislative lapse would not be disqualifying because, under normal circumstances, you would have transitioned.

However, we don't know if Congress will allow retro now for those who have not yet transitioned, per many discussions upthread. Resumption of EUC - i.e., allowing new EUC claimants not yet transitioned at year-end will be a nightmare for the states - especially for those states which have discontinued claiming.

How the byes affect EUC eligibility will certainly be one of the issues addressed by the USDOLETA when and if Congress extends the program.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 03-16-2014 at 09:10 PM..

Old 03-16-2014, 09:04 PM

15,674 posts, read 6,152,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post

However, we don't know if Congress will allow retro now for those who have not yet transitioned, per many discussions upthread. Resumption of EUC - i.e., allowing new EUC claimants not yet transitioned at year-end will be a nightmare for the states - especially for those states which have discontinued claiming.
We don't even know if the House will see an EUC bill reach the floor. Retro issues are like worrying about the pitching matchups of your favorite team for the September 26th-28th series.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
We don't even know if the House will see an EUC bill reach the floor. Retro issues are like worrying about the pitching matchups of your favorite team for the September 26th-28th series.
Agreed. I usually avoid these discussions during lapses because there are so many variables - and Congress ALWAYS surprises with an out-of-left field tweak rendering most earlier "what if" conjecturing pointless.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:36 PM

4,044 posts, read 2,223,831 times
Does anyone know when this is going to be voted on in the Senate? Any word from any sources?

Old 03-16-2014, 09:59 PM

581 posts, read 327,877 times
We do not know when a vote is but H Ried said not right away as they had other things they had to do first when they get back (Ukraine etc) and he said it would be during the week. He gave the schedule for Monday 3-24-14 (and its on the Senate website) and it wasn't on it for Monday so a good guess would be Tue/Wed they would start the process (will take 3-4 days) and hopefully get a final vote the end of the week OR early the next week. H Ried said they may have to work on Sat/Sun March 29/30 in order to get everything done.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:25 PM

350 posts, read 202,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
If you began EUC before the lapse, and Congress passes legislation retro, you probably will be able to continue to collect. Under normal circumstances, a bye does not affect anything, except the states need to verify there is no new claim eligibility.

If you did not begin EUC before the lapse, you would be eligible for EUC only if Congress passes legislation retro allowing those who were eligible after the lapse but could not transition because of the lapse. In that case, you get whatever the new program is. The old tiers no longer apply. I think I'm understanding your question, correctly??

EUC must always begin on or before the state claim benefit year has expired. Under previous legislation, a legislative lapse would not be disqualifying because, under normal circumstances, you would have transitioned.

How the byes affect EUC eligibility will certainly be one of the issues addressed by the USDOLETA when and if Congress extends the program.

Thanks for your response. I'll try to be more transparent with my question as it didn't have anything to do with retro, and you were unclear if I had started EUC prior to the lapse.

Background: A severance was received. As expected, the UI benefits began after the severance period had ended. I had entered Tier 1 prior to the lapse on 12/29/13. Texas allows 2 Tiers with published weeks in each Tier.

Let X = The sum of the number of weeks remaining in both Tiers
Let Y = The number of weeks between 12/29/13 and the claim anniversary.
X > Y (i.e X is greater than Y)

Question: If the EUC extension is approved what would be used as the termination point (the end of Tier 2, or the claim anniversary)?

Old 03-17-2014, 08:13 AM

18 posts, read 12,578 times
Let's say the bill doesn't allow retro for people who started working. Do you think that would apply for people who started working a part time job?

Old 03-17-2014, 09:00 AM

4 posts, read 2,029 times
So say it's passed retroactive. And your first 26 weeks ran out in jan. How do you get that extension? Reopen claim? Or do they send you something?

Old 03-17-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanglow View Post
Question: If the EUC extension is approved what would be used as the termination point (the end of Tier 2, or the claim anniversary)?
There is no termination point once EUC is begun. If you only exhausted a few weeks of Tier 1 when legislation lapsed, whatever remains in your account can be collected at some future point, provided your state UE rate hasn't triggered the state off that tier before you've begun payments on that tier - and legislation allows. Tiers begun before a state trigger off can be continued until exhausted.

Claim anniversary is a completely different issue and doesn't affect, in any way, how much more or less EUC you can collect on that particular claim at any point in time. Claim anniversary will require you to recertify (apply for a new claim) during which process TX ascertains if you have new state claim eligibility.

If you have new state claim eligibility, you get a new state claim. Once those new state claim benefits are exhausted, you then continue to collect unexhausted EUC on the old claim - again legislation permitting. FAQs explains payment of EUC in multi-claim situations. See Post #2.

In other words, once EUC on a claim is begun, legislation permitting, those benefits can be collected until exhausted. As an example, many people last year were collecting unexhausted EUC from claims established in 2008.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matmed View Post
Let's say the bill doesn't allow retro for people who started working. Do you think that would apply for people who started working a part time job?
No clue. As I said above, conjecture is pointless. There is no precedent for this qualifier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryann View Post
So say it's passed retroactive. And your first 26 weeks ran out in jan. How do you get that extension? Reopen claim? Or do they send you something?
States vary in their procedures. Common sense - keep checking your state website for updates.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 03-17-2014 at 09:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment