U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-17-2014, 09:40 AM

350 posts, read 202,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matmed View Post
Let's say the bill doesn't allow retro for people who started working. Do you think that would apply for people who started working a part time job?
The best case scenario would be to allow retro for the past weeks of unemployment even if claimants have found a job (whether full time or part time). John Boehner thinks retro is unworkable. It would be a messy situation for the states. But we are just speculating here. I know it's an anxious time, but we'll have to wait and see how things unfold in the next 3 weeks. We'll have a clearer picture of things then.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:53 AM

Ariadne22: "Tiers begun before a state trigger off can be continued until exhausted.

Claim anniversary is a completely different issue and doesn't affect, in any way, how much more or less EUC you can collect on that particular claim at some point in time.

The EUC benefits attached to that claim are fixed. Once EUC is begun, legislation permitting, those benefits can be collected until exhausted".

Thanks Ariadne22. That completely answers my question. I was thinking claim anniversary is linked to States benefits while EUC is linked to Federal benefits. As a result, I thought claim anniversary doesn't affect EUC, but wanted to check with you on that. Thanks again for the detailed insight.

Last edited by Oceanglow; 03-17-2014 at 10:06 AM..

Old 03-17-2014, 10:02 AM

13,120 posts, read 16,000,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanglow View Post
As a result, I thought claim anniversary doesn't affect EUC, but wanted to check with you on that. Thanks again for the detailed insight.
Just to clarify - so people don't get confused, as I said earlier:
Quote:
EUC must always begin on or before the state claim benefit year has expired.
In other words, once EUC is begun on a claim on or prior to the anniversary of that claim, those benefits remain to be collected after the anniversary date.

If EUC is NOT begun on or before the anniversary date, the EUC on that claim is lost. State benefits are use it or lose it within the benefit year. EUC, if begun on or before anniversary day, is not lost.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:48 AM

148 posts, read 95,014 times
What is the point of discussing different possible scenarios about retro benefits, etc now? How about wait to see if this bill becomes law first? this is all simply conjecture at this point and the truth is no one really knows what is going to happen. I used to say I thought EUC had about a 5% chance of passing. now I've upped that to a 50% chance.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroOne View Post
What about the people like me who's state benefits expired exactly on December 28th?
Under previous extensions of the legislation, you would transition to EUC and get those benefits. But past history is not a predictor of what will happen. Congress needs to pass legislation. Read the last ten pages of this thread. As I said a page or two back:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I usually avoid these discussions during lapses because there are so many variables - and Congress ALWAYS surprises with an out-of-left field tweak rendering most earlier "what if" conjecturing pointless.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenthrough View Post
What is the point of discussing different possible scenarios about retro benefits, etc now? How about wait to see if this bill becomes law first? this is all simply conjecture at this point and the truth is no one really knows what is going to happen.
Agreed, for the second time. I'm not answering any further questions on "what ifs." Let's just wait and see.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroOne View Post
What about the people like me who's state benefits expired exactly on December 28th?
So unfortunately you didn't get a chance to start EUC. I think the Senators are well aware of the 1m+ persons whose state benefits were exhausted but were not eligible to file for EUC as of 12/29/13. It makes sense they would take this into consideration in the final draft of bill S2148. I think the Senators would have to re-visit EUC again close to 5/31/14, if a 5-month bill is passed. Legislation permitting and referencing past history, I think at some point you may be able to start EUC and receive benefits for past weeks of unemployment after 12/28/13. Every week, there is a growing number of people affected by a similar situation as yours, and the lawmakers can't overlook them. Not to worry, the benefits might be deferred but I think you'll be able to receive them in future. Let's wait and see how events unfold.

Last edited by Oceanglow; 03-17-2014 at 11:10 AM..

Old 03-17-2014, 01:46 PM

27 posts, read 22,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenthrough View Post
What is the point of discussing different possible scenarios about retro benefits, etc now? How about wait to see if this bill becomes law first? this is all simply conjecture at this point and the truth is no one really knows what is going to happen. I used to say I thought EUC had about a 5% chance of passing. now I've upped that to a 50% chance.
Ditto. People chill. There is still a big fight in the House pending. My take is that they will pass this through senate since there are trying to win the senate back " Republican" This way no senator will get the blame for voting against it. Then they will stall it in the house, where they are not worried about loosing the chamber there.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:24 PM

94 posts, read 76,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enedesigns View Post
Ditto. People chill. There is still a big fight in the House pending. My take is that they will pass this through senate since there are trying to win the senate back " Republican" This way no senator will get the blame for voting against it. Then they will stall it in the house, where they are not worried about loosing the chamber there.
tell that to each individual republican house member candidate running in the November election

when this bill passes the senate end of the month ...no turning this train around

2 million plus upset people now want their money haha

***85% of americans probably think when thy pass the senate bill, its finished. they never knew it has to also pass the house.

interesting weeks coming up

after it passes the senate......"WHICH CANDIDATE IS DENYING MY MONEY!!

Last edited by jaboo18914; 03-17-2014 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: CORRECTION

Old 03-17-2014, 06:07 PM

15,644 posts, read 6,145,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaboo18914;33923267

[B
tell that to each individual republican house member candidate running in the November election[/b]
Unless Reid finds the right item to trade Boehner, this stalls in the House.

Last edited by JMT; 03-18-2014 at 06:51 AM.. Reason: Stick to the topic please
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.