U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-09-2014, 12:01 PM

314 posts, read 242,459 times
God I hate auto correct but damageinc Posted what I meant

Old 01-09-2014, 12:02 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,046,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
This is good news but what is the next step? Do they have to vote to make it an actual bill and then pass it along to Congress? If it goes to Congress, do they get to make changes or have debates or do they just vote on it? IF it passes Congress, how long until the prez signs it (probably immediately, right?)

(I gotta tell you, years ago, I was so 'up' on politics, current events, how the process works, etc...... Now? I'm only 51 but I feel like my brain is about 91 and I've forgotten everything!!!! )
Well first Congress is both the Senate and the House of Representatives even though elected officials in the House are often called Congressmen/women.

If it passes the Senate then it goes to the House. They do have the ability to also modify it if they feel the need to so they do have the power to hold up the legislation there as well. If they pass it then it goes to the President who I think will be waiting at the door with a pen so that's the easy part. The House was always going to be the problem so we'll see if this is enough for them.

*edit: I see others beat me to this, LOL!

Old 01-09-2014, 12:04 PM

121 posts, read 96,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
This is good news but what is the next step? Do they have to vote to make it an actual bill and then pass it along to Congress? If it goes to Congress, do they get to make changes or have debates or do they just vote on it? IF it passes Congress, how long until the prez signs it (probably immediately, right?)

(I gotta tell you, years ago, I was so 'up' on politics, current events, how the process works, etc...... Now? I'm only 51 but I feel like my brain is about 91 and I've forgotten everything!!!! )
Does it then go to the House for approval or for UI Benefits do they just need the Senate vote? I'm a little confused as well.

If the Senate passes the bill does the same bill go to the house for consideration?

Old 01-09-2014, 12:07 PM

586 posts, read 380,414 times
Same bill goes to the House for debate and vote.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:12 PM

4,185 posts, read 2,702,658 times
Do you think the House is going to drag this out? Or do you think they'll have it done by the end of next week? Also, if it passes both and gets signed by the prez, are we going to get our benfits retroactively? (By then, we'll all be going into the third week of no benefits)

Old 01-09-2014, 12:13 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,046,128 times
Read this article - it's cutting the amount of weeks we can collect and I have a feeling most of us are going to be maxed out before this even passes if it does. I just started tier two and at only 9 weeks I'm done at the end of Feb. I have no idea how they would implement this based on the fact that many of us have already collected tier one which has been drastically cut.

AP Exclusive: New jobless benefit plan advanced: Associated Press Business News - MSN Money

I think I read it wrong initially. Tier one is 6 weeks, Tier two is 6 weeks, Tier 3 is 9 weeks and Tier 4 is 10 weeks (but only applies to Nevada and Rhode Island)

Last edited by GoYanks34; 01-09-2014 at 12:27 PM..

Old 01-09-2014, 12:15 PM

Retoractive was pretty much a given as I dont think the Democrats would do it without them. Head of the Senate last night said he would not support it without job creation plans added but they may add them in the House. Also Nancy Pelosi was on last night and said as soon as it hits the house she will get it pushed through. So we shall see.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:43 PM

Ok this deal is a scaled back benefit program. Smaller then the old one. I have no clue how this works.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid expressed optimism Thursday about chances for compromise on jobless legislation, and officials said talks were focused on a scaled-back program that is fully paid for and would provide up to 31 weeks of benefits for the long-term unemployed.

The officials said the emerging compromise would run through the late fall, and the price tag — approximately $18 billion — would be offset through cuts elsewhere in the budget so deficits would not rise.

Rank and file senators in both parties were reviewing the proposal in closed-door noontime meetings.

The Senate has been working on a three-month resurrection of a program that expired on Dec. 28, immediately cutting off benefits of roughly $256 weekly for more than one million hurt by the recession.

Reid, D-Nev., told reporters he was "cautiously optimistic" about a compromise emerging later in the day, but provided no details.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:59 PM

17 posts, read 14,383 times
This doesn't sound too good. I am glad they will give us something, but this scaled back version sucks.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:07 PM

13,866 posts, read 17,878,992 times
Essentially, if approved, triggers for all tiers do not change, number of maximum weeks for Tiers 1 and 2 are reduced by eight weeks each.

For now, only RI and NV qualify for Tier 4, but a few states are close enough, Tier 4 could trigger on again at some point this year if 3-month UE rate rises to 9%:

Unemployment Rates for States

I wonder if the Medicare provider cuts will hold? Medicare providers are so badly paid now, many limit their practices to 30% Medicare patients, many providers/doctors won't take them at all - especially in certain regions of the country. Doctors are not mandated to accept Medicare patients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment