U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 01-09-2014, 08:49 PM
 
19 posts, read 17,774 times
Reputation: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by maladrat46 View Post
I am one of the those people who hasn't found a job in a year and is now waiting for the benefits to come back. I am a single mother of 2 boys. I am struggling to pay my bills, put gas in my car and food on the table and pay for my car. I apply everywhere but no luck yet
Damn, Really wish I could help out. Never forget the Republican party for doing this, hate them with a passion for life, never ever elect them again. GOD Bless you., I don't have much to spare but if you could share a paypal account maybe we could raise some money for you and your to sons.

 
Old 01-09-2014, 09:12 PM
 
149 posts, read 98,161 times
Reputation: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenu45 View Post
Damn, Really wish I could help out. Never forget the Republican party for doing this, hate them with a passion for life, never ever elect them again. GOD Bless you., I don't have much to spare but if you could share a paypal account maybe we could raise some money for you and your to sons.
The democrats are no better in this. I blame both parties equally. Dirty Harry Reid gets up in front of the Senate and claims republicans have offered no amendments for spending cuts. They have offered almost a dozen most of which are not unreasonable at all. The fact of the matter is Harry Reid knows this bill has ZERO chance of passing the House without meaningful spending cuts attached to it. Sequestration is not going to cut it and the democrats know this. That just puts off the borrowing until 2024. There are many amendments republicans have offered that democrats can easily pick from and get this bill passed but instead they play politics (both sides) and us unemployed people suffer because of it. Makes me sick.
 
Old 01-09-2014, 09:34 PM
 
Location: Not where I want to be
4,133 posts, read 2,501,798 times
Reputation: 5827
Quote:
Originally Posted by maladrat46 View Post
I am one of the those people who hasn't found a job in a year and is now waiting for the benefits to come back. I am a single mother of 2 boys. I am struggling to pay my bills, put gas in my car and food on the table and pay for my car. I apply everywhere but no luck yet

I am in the same position you are. I have no family whatsoever and I have no one to help me. My last u/e pmt was on 12/31. I have been sending resumes, applying, etc and I'm getting no results. Many companies just aren't hiring; others expect people to "intern" (ie: work for free with the "possibility" of working for them in the future); and still others are paying wages so low that it would cost more to go to work than it's worth.

My electric bill is 3 months behind.... I have very little food in my pantry. In my freezer, I have one small package of chicken for my daughter and myself. After that? Who knows what we're going to do.

There are hundred of thousands of people in this country in our position. The republicans don't care about us. If we and our children were all to drop dead tomorrow, it wouldn't faze them in the least. They have lifetime salaries whether they're working or not. They have great benefits that they will also have for life. They're laughing while we're all struggling.
 
Old 01-09-2014, 10:00 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
13,617 posts, read 17,264,553 times
Reputation: 6308
All of you who are now without income and cash assets, immediately visit your city/county social services people to get assistance with food, rent, utilities. I would guess these agencies will soon be overloaded with requests, so get in there - like tomorrow.
 
Old 01-09-2014, 10:07 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles Area
202 posts, read 370,105 times
Reputation: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
There are hundred of thousands of people in this country in our position. The republicans don't care about us. If we and our children were all to drop dead tomorrow, it wouldn't faze them in the least. They have lifetime salaries whether they're working or not. They have great benefits that they will also have for life. They're laughing while we're all struggling.
Yes that's true, the majority of them are wealthy and they get their 6 figure big salaries and cadillac benefits and have been doing so for years. They're are completely out of touch.

As Ariadne22 mentioned though, go to you local social services office asap.
 
Old 01-10-2014, 02:50 AM
 
Location: Lakewood, NJ
1,171 posts, read 1,002,293 times
Reputation: 730
Here's a good article on what happened yesterday. I was wrong about Reid not wanting the bill full of "pork" as someone already mentioned. He was shutting down the amendment process. Now while I can understand that each proposed amendment is voted on and if they are approved then the essentially change the bill and that is what he doesn't want but I don't want to have to pack up my apartment, break my lease and move back home with mom so enough already. I'm getting more aggravated at the Dems right now. Time is of the essence and something has to give or we're all screwed. This will not pass as it is now in the Senate so you can forget about the House. I hope they come up with something substantial over the weekend.

Showdown vote ahead on Senate Democrats’ bill to extend jobless benefits - The Washington Post
 
Old 01-10-2014, 04:58 AM
 
25 posts, read 24,821 times
Reputation: 31
I have a question for Ad. At the very end of 2013 when the program stopped I only had three weeks left on my tier IV benefits. Now I read Reid's proposal and it would scale back to 31 weeks. So either way I won't be getting those last three weeks? Right?
 
Old 01-10-2014, 07:05 AM
 
Location: Lakewood, NJ
1,171 posts, read 1,002,293 times
Reputation: 730
This better not hurt our chances of anything getting passed. It's pretty obvious that the unemployment rate dropped because people are no longer collecting UE, especially with a measly 74,000 jobs created.

Job growth comes in lower than expected; unemployment rate falls - NBC News.com
 
Old 01-10-2014, 07:25 AM
 
124 posts, read 86,828 times
Reputation: 44
The job report work in the unemployed favor, because of the low job numbers, the democrats better get this deal done ASAP Monday and stop playing hard ball, they should have done this back in 2009 to 2010.
 
Old 01-10-2014, 07:26 AM
 
17 posts, read 14,037 times
Reputation: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
This better not hurt our chances of anything getting passed. It's pretty obvious that the unemployment rate dropped because people are no longer collecting UE, especially with a measly 74,000 jobs created.

Job growth comes in lower than expected; unemployment rate falls - NBC News.com
I agree I noticed this, and alot of comments on other sites say that now we don't need to extend benefits. However, with a paltry 74,000 jobs added, it is obvious that our economy is still unhealthy. Also, the more people lose benefits the lower the unemployment rate will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top