U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-13-2014, 05:23 PM

124 posts, read 86,929 times
They had the 60 votes for the three months extension. Harry Reid was the one back out of the deal.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:26 PM

20,273 posts, read 15,004,076 times
I think it's disgusting that they wait to the last minute to figure this stuff out. People have bills to pay, jobs to find, and don't need this extra stress.

We have so many "bill writers" in the house and not one of them is smart enough to come up with an appropriate solution. So they just keep passing these stupid extensions at the last minute.

They really need to define a long term plan where Unemployment behaves like an insurance. It should have long-term benefits built in for situations like this. It should not require constant extensions. The longer a person is on the insurance, the higher their premiums get when they find a job. That way we don't have people so worried about whether it will be extended... and we don't have other people worried about tax dollars going towards it... since they won't be anymore.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:28 PM

457 posts, read 391,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dell1972 View Post
They had the 60 votes for the three months extension. Harry Reid was the one back out of the deal.
Is he the make or break vote?

Old 01-13-2014, 05:31 PM

97 posts, read 68,658 times
the same thing happened a few years back...Republicans stalled and voted NO on lots of stuff, people got fed up and voted more republicans into office..

Not understanding the complexities of Politics the American people actually voted more obstructionist into office , because politicians BS and tell ALL kinds of distortions

Old 01-13-2014, 05:32 PM

193 posts, read 107,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I cannot believe I am reading this. Terrible, just terrible advice. The correct thing to do is take advantage to all the public assistance programs that are available to you. The government is not going to let you starve.
REALLY? Are you on the SNAP program, they are denying people that are in limbo with the unemployment extension, or putting them off. There are a number of people online today on forums that have not eaten for 1-4 days. TRUTH.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:39 PM

1,171 posts, read 1,003,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalaeon View Post
Is he the make or break vote?
No, he just pulled it off the table trying to negotiate a longer solution and it was a 3 month extension not paid for while they figured out what to do. Would NEVER pass in the House anyway.

Just when you think Congress can't possibly get any worse.....

I have written to my Congressmen (Cory Booker and Bob Mendendez are my senators and I know they're on board so I didn't bother with them) but now I'm going to write to all the other Senators and Congressman/women in the country. This is lunacy. Never mind the economy, has anyone thought what consequences this will have on crime? Desperate people do desperate things. This has the potential to create some very serious problems for this country in mores ways than just the economic fallout. I only have enough to get me through another month and then I'm done. I don't even want to think about that but it looks like I may not have a choice.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:43 PM

20,273 posts, read 15,004,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
No, he just pulled it off the table trying to negotiate a longer solution and it was a 3 month extension not paid for while they figured out what to do. Would NEVER pass in the House anyway.

Just when you think Congress can't possibly get any worse.....

I have written to my Congressmen (Cory Booker and Bob Mendendez are my senators and I know they're on board so I didn't bother with them) but now I'm going to write to all the other Senators and Congressman/women in the country. This is lunacy. Never mind the economy, has anyone thought what consequences this will have on crime? Desperate people do desperate things. This has the potential to create some very serious problems for this country in mores ways than just the economic fallout. I only have enough to get me through another month and then I'm done. I don't even want to think about that but it looks like I may not have a choice.
I suppose there are three things that desperate people will do. Some will be desperate enough to commit crimes. Others will be desperate enough to live on the streets. And many will be desperate enough to get jobs. Perhaps a fourth option, commit suicide.... let's hope not.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:47 PM

97 posts, read 68,658 times
the congressional black caucus is discussing in the House right now on Cspan, the XL Pipeline seems to be the trade-off..(it is a jobs program of sorts)
Live Video - C-SPAN | C-SPAN

Old 01-13-2014, 05:50 PM

457 posts, read 391,244 times
I love how 75k is the working poor. Thats damn near rich for me!

Old 01-13-2014, 05:59 PM

4,133 posts, read 2,506,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I suppose there are three things that desperate people will do. Some will be desperate enough to commit crimes. Others will be desperate enough to live on the streets. And many will be desperate enough to get jobs. Perhaps a fourth option, commit suicide.... let's hope not.

Gee, duh, no one ever thought of that! Get a job? What a NOVEL concept!!!! It's SUCH a good thing you came to this forum to post and let all of us unemployed morons know that we should do something as simple as getting a job!! Woo HOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! You just saved the economy!!!! WOW!!!!!! Let's vote YOU in for President!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.