U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-08-2013, 11:35 AM

420 posts, read 224,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post
This has been on all the news channels today and the consensus of the experts was it not going to be extended .Most said the drop in unemployment to 7% killed any chance. So ridiculous as we all know that number isnt the be all end all . Most republicans on the shows said there is just no reason to extended it. What planet are some of these politicians living on.
They are living on the planet where they are not held accountable for anything, are totally corrupt and inept and do not live in the real world. I think we should have more unemployment is Congress

Old 12-08-2013, 05:23 PM

100 posts, read 73,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEHelp View Post
They are living on the planet where they are not held accountable for anything, are totally corrupt and inept and do not live in the real world. I think we should have more unemployment is Congress
What would the fair compromise be? Should we extend benefits forever like welfare? Welfare was originally a temporary thing that people became so dependent on that they had no choice but to continue.

Although nothing in life is fair should we have a set Unemoyment rate that triggers EUC and the EUC extensions will last infinitely as long as the state rate is still high? What is fair. 1 year of UI? 2 years? 5 years? Some people that exhausted 4 tiers+ fedED still think they should get benefits. Some will only get 26 weeks which is unfair but so is life.

I think they will come to a compromise to extend with less weeks payable but no matter what happens it won't be fair to some people. Many with exhausted benefits will still have their hands out waiting for more, assuming their country owes it to them, but then complains about how high income taxes are.

Hopefully they will tighten up the requirements for EUC. There's nothing worse than seeing someone exhaust 71 weeks of benefits with a WBA less than $100 and I know many that have done this. I agree that high earners should accept suitable employment and take advantage of UI benefits to allow them to have the resources to gain suitable employment. For the low earners when suitable employment is minimum wage work and you exhaust benefits, you are the reason why everyone thinks we are lazy.

My 2 cents.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:31 PM

583 posts, read 328,625 times
They agreed on the budget deal and did not include the EUC . Meaning that it will expire since they are all leaving for Christmas on Friday and not back until next year. Most likley tells me its not getting extended. What a bad thing to do to 1.3 million folks at the holidays.

Last edited by DamageInc; 12-10-2013 at 05:07 PM..

Old 12-10-2013, 05:58 PM

15 posts, read 15,350 times
Default EUC extension news

Just heard reported that the House (dems & republicans) passed a "budget bill" which DID NOT include the extension of the EUC benefits into 2014. Now bill is in Senate for review / passing.

However, all reports are that the Democrats are still pushing to get another, separate bill voted on to extend the EUC for 2014. They had, previously, insisted they would not consider a budget bill WITHOUT extension of the EUC benefits in it but then I read White House was OK to entertain the bill without the extension (included in it).

So, now will see what Senate does with the bill...will they push back for the extension to be included??? ...OR introduce separate legislation to extend the benefits.

I am looking with much anticipation myself.

Be out of State UC in April of 2014 and looks bleak for me all around.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:03 PM

201 posts, read 343,600 times
What happened last year? Did they leave for break and let the extensions end?

Old 12-10-2013, 06:25 PM

420 posts, read 224,198 times
This is not looking good- why would the Democrats not continue to insist that a UE extension be included in the budget deal? Separate legislation? When would that be passed? February?

Old 12-10-2013, 06:30 PM

13,138 posts, read 16,032,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UEHelp View Post
This is not looking good- why would the Democrats not continue to insist that a UE extension be included in the budget deal?
Because they feel it's not worth shutting down the government over that issue.

Actually, if Dems bring this up separately, in the end it might be far easier to pass just that one piece of legislation than the budget compromise as presently agreed to.

Give it a bit more time.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:36 PM

13,138 posts, read 16,032,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarjr View Post
What happened last year? Did they leave for break and let the extensions end?
No. Agreement was reached first week in January. Year before in 2011/2012, short-term extension into February, when final agreement was signed.

If Dems can't get separate legislation passed before year-end, even if extended at some point in January or later, it takes the states sometimes several weeks to a month before they can begin to pay benefits again. Logistically, an outright lapse creates a lot of unnecessary problems/logjams. But lapses have happened - just not in the past two years.

Old 12-10-2013, 06:39 PM

148 posts, read 98,884 times
Wasn't it in 2012 they didn't pass the EUC until after Christmas break in 2011? I remember I was on UI and at first it was only extended until March of 2012 I think, then they passed a new bill to extend it longer. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:29 PM

313 posts, read 208,323 times
Ariadne ..I am scheduled to exhaust regular benefits at the end of January. If they only pass the ue extension in like mid February...do I keep claiming after I exhaust everything in my regular benefits in hopes of there beingan extension or am I pretty much out of luck?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment