Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2014, 07:37 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
I suppose if you Outsource everything then there are NO jobs at all, those that can grow food and survive will
This makes no sense. When a job is outsourced, it is given to someone in another company. Look at the IBM example above. Companies outsource things like printing services to Staples and Kinkos all the time. It doesn't make jobs disappear. You're quite mistaken on that point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post

That bring into play Genetically Modified Seeds which are only good for one generation, and need lots of Oil-based pesticides and insecticides...

This brings to mind the "Neutron Bomb" solution as well

While i agree that we need to think "out-of-the-box" to solve our new Paradigms problems
this line of reasoning just may be out in left field.
This is all nonsense to me. I don't see how outsourcing relates to toxic food and bombs.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:38 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalaeon View Post
With that explanation, yeah; outsourcing is good.

Unfortunately, many people think like I do when they hear outsourcing, which in their head means sending to third world countries where they can pay pennies per hour for their laborers.
Ah... you mean offshoring... BIG difference.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:39 PM

461 posts, read 911,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Ah... you mean offshoring... BIG difference.
Yeah...

Old 01-14-2014, 07:45 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,600,389 times
Yes i was referring to off shoring, I supposed i confused my terminology, and most of what i wrote was From a Sarcastic slant, not wishing to be outright confrontational...

but yes it is non-sensical

Old 01-14-2014, 07:46 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
yes they will, it has become another form of welfare like FEMA. to terminate it is the 3rd rail.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:22 PM

41 posts, read 113,564 times
I'm actually working very hard on gaining new skills/education (trying to get a degree in a STEM field [Computer Science]). I have a condensed (5-Unit) math class this winter break that has me at school for four and a half hours from 8:00 AM - 12:30 PM, every day of the week - Add onto that another 1-2 hours for homework. It would be awesome to sleep in, like many college kids do for their winter breaks, but I'm not.

I'm taking a lot of units, and doing my best to make good grades - I dare one of these politicians to call me lazy. To tell you the truth, working an 8-hour shift would probably be easier/more enjoyable than the current class I'm taking. Not trying to complain, just trying to make the point that some people are legitimately trying really hard to make something of themselves. The little amount of money I was getting would have been nice, but I'm sure I'll find a way to figure it out, one way or another.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:28 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,717,954 times
NJBest

what most people mean by "outsourcing"

is technically offshoring aka “outsourcing jobs overseas” mainly driven to reduce labor costs.

The Offshore Outsourcing of American Jobs: A Greater Threat Than Terrorism | Global Research

In what might be an underestimate, a University of California study concludes that 14 million white-collar jobs are vulnerable to being outsourced offshore. These are not only call-center operators, customer service and back-office jobs, but also information technology, accounting, architecture, advanced engineering design, news reporting, stock analysis, and medical and legal services. The authors note that these are the jobs of the American Dream, the jobs of upward mobility that generate the bulk of the tax revenues that fund our education, health, infrastructure, and social security systems.

The loss of these jobs “is fool’s gold for companies.” Corporate America’s short-term mentality, stemming from bonuses tied to quarterly results, is causing US companies to lose not only their best employees-their human capital-but also the consumers who buy their products. Employees displaced by foreigners and left unemployed or in lower paid work have a reduced presence in the consumer market. They provide fewer retirement savings for new investment.

Nothink economists assume that new, better jobs are on the way for displaced Americans, but no economists can identify these jobs.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:45 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,682,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
NJBest

what most people mean by "outsourcing"

is technically offshoring aka “outsourcing jobs overseas” mainly driven to reduce labor costs.
That's exactly what I think of. Just like when I call the customer service department of many well known US stores and clearly get someone in India (can tell by their accent and the way they speak English). Although many of them were quite helpful and competent those are customer service jobs that should be available here. We have to give some sort of incentive to bring them back.

Just do the math. If 1.4 million are looking for jobs right now (and we all know that number is higher) and the US economy creates 200,000 jobs per month (I'm being generous, especially after December's report and just wait for January's when all the holiday workers are laid off), how is that even remotely sustainable? It would take 7 months at that rate for all to find jobs assuming no one else loses a job and goes into that pool. No matter how you slice it, it doesn't work. I don't know what the solution as I am far from an expert on the economy but there is a serious job shortage that needs to be as aggressively addressed as extending unemployment while a solution is found.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:59 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,528,515 times
I cannot believe they have let this happen! November 4th, you have the right to show them all what the real consequences are. If you aren't registered to vote, do not delay! Every vote will be needed to show the scum in our government the door!

Hide your valuables when you are out because crime is about to explode big time. It's already happening where I live and as more people become desperate it will only get worse.

Apply for welfare and food stamps NOW. Talk with your church leaders too; many are prepared to help!

Old 01-14-2014, 11:00 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,717,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
I don't know what the solution as I am far from an expert on the economy but there is a serious job shortage that needs to be as aggressively addressed as extending unemployment while a solution is found.
How many more weeks would you get if the extension goes through?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment