U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 12-12-2013, 09:35 PM
 
Location: Briarwood
1,001 posts, read 747,595 times
Reputation: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by msix3623 View Post
Ariadne ..I am scheduled to exhaust regular benefits at the end of January. If they only pass the ue extension in like mid February...do I keep claiming after I exhaust everything in my regular benefits in hopes of there beingan extension or am I pretty much out of luck?
It's best to keep claiming. If they end up passing the bill when they come back, most likely they will retro and you will get the money you were owed from claiming.

 
Old 12-12-2013, 09:48 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles Area
201 posts, read 343,183 times
Reputation: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by msix3623 View Post
Ariadne ..I am scheduled to exhaust regular benefits at the end of January. If they only pass the ue extension in like mid February...do I keep claiming after I exhaust everything in my regular benefits in hopes of there beingan extension or am I pretty much out of luck?
Once you exhaust your regular claim and if EUC hasn't been extended, most likely you won't be able to claim anymore.
 
Old 12-12-2013, 11:07 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
13,126 posts, read 16,010,948 times
Reputation: 6001
Quote:
Originally Posted by msix3623 View Post
Ariadne ..I am scheduled to exhaust regular benefits at the end of January. If they only pass the ue extension in like mid February...do I keep claiming after I exhaust everything in my regular benefits in hopes of there beingan extension or am I pretty much out of luck?
Keep claiming as long as is allowed. If extension appears likely, NJ will probably allow you to claim. If dead in the water, then you won't be able to claim.

Listening to C-Span today - two Reps, one from Oregon, one from WI - both felt it unlikely the House will vote for an extension next year. Interesting, however, Rick Snyder, Gov of MI, has instituted austerity in his state and his UE rate has risen, with MI triggering back onto Tier 4 this week. Austerity has not created jobs in MI. We'll see what happens when another 1.3 million hit the bread lines after the first of the year. The ultra-conservatives may ignored for the greater good.

One interesting comment by WI rep, was there was still the "possibility" of another 20 weeks' state benefits. I assume he means the old form of Extended Benefits wherein the govt pays 50% and the states pay 50%. He didn't elaborate, but I don't think he meant 100% funded by the federal government as was the case until 2012. This would be implemented, of course, state by state and require special legislation, as well. Some states will not participate for budget and/or political reasons. At one time, NJ did have state law which mandated payment of EB over certain unemployment thresholds. When US govt implemented 100% payment of EB, NJ state law went by the wayside. I wonder if Gov. Christie would resurrect this, again. Every state still has budget issues. I would expect any GOP ruled state will be very loath to take on even 50% responsibility for benefits, again.

We'll see.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 12-12-2013 at 11:22 PM..
 
Old 12-12-2013, 11:49 PM
 
78 posts, read 52,877 times
Reputation: 50
I lost my job back in Oct after being on Tier 2 from a previous claim. Now I'm back on Tier 2 under the deferred payments since the claim from my most recent job is much lower.

If EUC is cut off, will I end up on my up on the much lower claim from my recent job?
 
Old 12-13-2013, 12:24 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
13,126 posts, read 16,010,948 times
Reputation: 6001
Quote:
Originally Posted by superbobdolevegeta View Post
I lost my job back in Oct after being on Tier 2 from a previous claim. Now I'm back on Tier 2 under the deferred payments since the claim from my most recent job is much lower.

If EUC is cut off, will I end up on my up on the much lower claim from my recent job?
Yes, CA right now has you on DNCP. If EUC ends, you can begin your new state claim. That oughta' be another challenge for its new software. Heh....be prepared to make more calls.
 
Old 12-13-2013, 07:43 AM
 
313 posts, read 207,893 times
Reputation: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Keep claiming as long as is allowed. If extension appears likely, NJ will probably allow you to claim. If dead in the water, then you won't be able to claim.

Listening to C-Span today - two Reps, one from Oregon, one from WI - both felt it unlikely the House will vote for an extension next year. Interesting, however, Rick Snyder, Gov of MI, has instituted austerity in his state and his UE rate has risen, with MI triggering back onto Tier 4 this week. Austerity has not created jobs in MI. We'll see what happens when another 1.3 million hit the bread lines after the first of the year. The ultra-conservatives may ignored for the greater good.

One interesting comment by WI rep, was there was still the "possibility" of another 20 weeks' state benefits. I assume he means the old form of Extended Benefits wherein the govt pays 50% and the states pay 50%. He didn't elaborate, but I don't think he meant 100% funded by the federal government as was the case until 2012. This would be implemented, of course, state by state and require special legislation, as well. Some states will not participate for budget and/or political reasons. At one time, NJ did have state law which mandated payment of EB over certain unemployment thresholds. When US govt implemented 100% payment of EB, NJ state law went by the wayside. I wonder if Gov. Christie would resurrect this, again. Every state still has budget issues. I would expect any GOP ruled state will be very loath to take on even 50% responsibility for benefits, again.

We'll see.
thanks for the response..i found this article stating the same thing you said : Unemployment Extension 2014

i will try to keep claiming once my regular benefits are exhausted if i am still unlucky to find a job.
 
Old 12-13-2013, 08:09 AM
 
Location: Briarwood
1,001 posts, read 747,595 times
Reputation: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Keep claiming as long as is allowed. If extension appears likely, NJ will probably allow you to claim. If dead in the water, then you won't be able to claim.

Listening to C-Span today - two Reps, one from Oregon, one from WI - both felt it unlikely the House will vote for an extension next year. Interesting, however, Rick Snyder, Gov of MI, has instituted austerity in his state and his UE rate has risen, with MI triggering back onto Tier 4 this week. Austerity has not created jobs in MI. We'll see what happens when another 1.3 million hit the bread lines after the first of the year. The ultra-conservatives may ignored for the greater good.

One interesting comment by WI rep, was there was still the "possibility" of another 20 weeks' state benefits. I assume he means the old form of Extended Benefits wherein the govt pays 50% and the states pay 50%. He didn't elaborate, but I don't think he meant 100% funded by the federal government as was the case until 2012. This would be implemented, of course, state by state and require special legislation, as well. Some states will not participate for budget and/or political reasons. At one time, NJ did have state law which mandated payment of EB over certain unemployment thresholds. When US govt implemented 100% payment of EB, NJ state law went by the wayside. I wonder if Gov. Christie would resurrect this, again. Every state still has budget issues. I would expect any GOP ruled state will be very loath to take on even 50% responsibility for benefits, again.

We'll see.
I think they are not trying to extend it quickly because not until the end of next year will over 4 million be without money. 1 million is a small drop in the bucket. I think they want to see if people will just accept any jobs so that way they can cut that money from the budget and appease the Republicans. I still believe once they start seeing the outcry from people losing the funds, they may extend just for this year then cut it off after that. It really depends on how the economy does.

None of this actually deals with the real issue. Companies aren't hiring the long term unemployed even though there are more jobs out there. We will see the impact of this pretty quickly. We already know the real unemployment numbers are far different given people that are underemployed or gave up altogether.
 
Old 12-15-2013, 09:26 AM
 
313 posts, read 207,893 times
Reputation: 119
reading a lot of articles of democrats saying they will all push to extend ue benefits after new year's. one democrat is thinking of adding that to the farm bill as leverage as the republicans will usually want that bill passed :
Dems hatch new strategy to pressure GOP on unemployment insurance
 
Old 12-15-2013, 09:58 AM
 
5 posts, read 4,160 times
Reputation: 13
Default If EUC is cut at YE - Claim until Feb 1

Unemployment Insurance Recipients Urged to Continue Filing Claims

Updated: Dec 13, 2013 10:40 AM CST

"We are directing claimants to file their weekly claims until February 1, 2014 so that benefits can be paid as quickly as possible if Congress does vote in favor of extending the EUC program, Olson said. "We recognize how unfortunate these circumstances are for our clients who are still suffering the effects of the recession. However, we have no alternative at the state level but to terminate benefits as directed if the federal program does indeed expire."
Unemployment Insurance Recipients Urged to Continue Filing Claim - KTVN Channel 2 - Reno Tahoe News Weather, Video -
 
Old 12-16-2013, 07:56 AM
 
420 posts, read 223,751 times
Reputation: 444
It's still interesting to see that the Democrats did not force this issue in the budget deal - shows you where we fall in the big picture. Anything pushed after the first of the year will be difficult. The Farm Bill has a lot of controversy already in it and I'm not sure either party will want more.

I hope everyone who is unemployed is calling their congressional representative along with top congressional leaders demanding that UE is extended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top