U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2014, 05:52 PM

17 posts, read 23,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
We know you hate Harry Reid. So, the following is a complete lie put out by the MSM?
Stop saying both parties are to blame when your real issue is Harry Reid.
Ariadne22, Mosin Nagant, is constantly stating that the Democrats are as guilty as the Republicans. I know it is ridiculous. I am not saying the Democrats shouldn't have added it to the budget, but please the House Democrats asked Boehner to stay open for business and get the work done on unemployement, and he refused to work during their vacation. If the Senate had 60 vote Democrat Majority and the House was run by the Democrats, we would NOT be fighting for our unemployment. Republicans ARE the problem.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:59 PM

4,826 posts, read 7,462,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergofa View Post
But in 2008 when unemployment was extended , the economy was losing hundreds of thousands of jobs each month, now it gains jobs each month.

The emergency is over, and the economy is recovering.

"Job gains"..... "the economy is recovering"...... Keep drinking that Kool Aid..... You may want a straw so you can drink it even faster.

Do you really believe the crap you're typing or are you just playing games? Because if you can honestly say you believe it, you're either a teenager or a 20-something who thinks they know it all and has all the answers OR you're just an ignorant fool who sits there with his mouth open waiting to swallow the crap he's fed because you can't think for yourself OR you're just an idiot.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:00 PM

69 posts, read 156,890 times
Quote:
But in 2008 when unemployment was extended , the economy was losing hundreds of thousands of jobs each month, now it gains jobs each month.

The emergency is over, and the economy is recovering.
This is news. Then why are we creating 85 billion a month through QE if all is good. Let's make a deal, end Unemployment extensions when QE goes to zero. The big banks and wall street are getting 85 billion a month in benefits.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:03 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,338,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon25 View Post
This is news. Then why are we creating 85 billion a month through QE if all is good. Let's make a deal, end Unemployment extensions when QE goes to zero. The big banks and wall street are getting 85 billion a month in benefits.

It did not say all was good, I just said it is not 2008 anymore. People still have six months unemployment from their state. The extensions have gone on for 5 years. Enough already.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:06 PM

21,999 posts, read 45,401,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanI View Post
Ariadne22, Mosin Nagant, is constantly stating that the Democrats are as guilty as the Republicans. I know it is ridiculous. I am not saying the Democrats shouldn't have added it to the budget, but please the House Democrats asked Boehner to stay open for business and get the work done on unemployement, and he refused to work during their vacation. If the Senate had 60 vote Democrat Majority and the House was run by the Democrats, we would NOT be fighting for our unemployment. Republicans ARE the problem.
You misread my post completely. I agree with YOU. Reread what I posted carefully. MN is mischaracterizing what actually happened. Again reread what I wrote and the quote - carefully - especially the red text. It favors Dems, not Repubs.
Quote:
Extension of unemployment benefits dead in Senate

Negotiations to extend emergency unemployment benefits to out-of-work Americans have fallen victim to a larger Senate debate over the rights of the minority party, making it more and more likely that the Senate will leave town this week without restoring benefits to the 1.3 million people that lost them when they expired on Dec. 28.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., has struggled to attract Republican votes as the GOP – still fuming about a rules change he pushed that diminishes their filibuster powermoved the goalposts on what it would take for GOP lawmakers to support an extension of the program.

Two procedural votes on different variations on an extension failed Tuesday afternoon, sending lawmakers back the drawing table.

At first, Senate Republicans coalesced around the demand that they would not support continuing the Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) program if it were not paid for. Then, as Reid rounded up both Democratic and Republican proposals that would pay for an extension for varying lengths of time, Republicans began complaining that they were not allowed to offer amendments to the legislation.

Reid offered five amendments for each side on Tuesday, as long as the threshold for including an amendment was 60 votes and final passage of legislation a simple majority of 51 – virtually guaranteeing that no Republican amendments would pass. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., rejected the offer right away, telling reporters that it “strikes me as fundamentally unfair.”

The offer, McConnell said later on the Senate floor, is “guaranteed to fix the result in such a way that doesn’t give the minority a fair chance.

For now, senators will likely step back, move on to working on a larger omnibus spending bill that needs to be passed to keep the government running.

Extension of unemployment benefits dead in Senate for now - CBS News
MN may be "constantly stating that Dems are as guilty as Repub" but that is NOT what he means. He is constantly ranting about the Democrats - at far more length - always.

Which is why I asked if he would be calling the CBS report a lie which clearly casts the blame on the Repubs for moving the goalposts, yet again.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
It did not say all was good, I just said it is not 2008 anymore. People still have six months unemployment from their state. The extensions have gone on for 5 years. Enough already.

Don't act like people have been getting UI benefits for five years because that is NOT the case. Even with emergency extended unemployment benefits, you can only collect for so long. You can't sit around collecting for five years as you imply in your post. In addition to that, your benefit amount drops every time you reach another tier on EUC.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:30 PM

1,403 posts, read 377,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vergofa

The Average time to GET a job is now 38 weeks, So the ones who get a job in less than 26 weeks wont collect it all, and then there's some who get nothing for the 12 weeks more it takes, and woe is to them that take even longer....but lets not confuse facts with emotionally charged rhetoric, no lets not do THAT

Old 01-18-2014, 10:58 PM

241 posts, read 909,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Don't act like people have been getting UI benefits for five years because that is NOT the case. Even with emergency extended unemployment benefits, you can only collect for so long. You can't sit around collecting for five years as you imply in your post. In addition to that, your benefit amount drops every time you reach another tier on EUC.
I sometimes wonder if people think that the unemployed can collect or have been collecting for all that time. Not to mention those extended weeks go by really fast.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarjr View Post
I sometimes wonder if people think that the unemployed can collect or have been collecting for all that time. Not to mention those extended weeks go by really fast.

Oh, they do. They honestly think people are living high-on-the-hog off UI benefits and just lounging around for years on end. Crazy. Like I said, Kool Aid Guzzlers.

Those weeks DO go by way too fast, not to mention your benefits get less when you go from one tier to the next.

Let's hope the Congressional Clowns get their act together and decide to actually DO something when they come back on 1/27. In the meantime, I hope you will print out a copy of that list of numbers I posted and make those calls!!!! Pass it on to EVERYONE you know who is unemployed and post it wherever you can! Thanks!

Old 01-19-2014, 05:07 PM

46 posts, read 54,382 times
I was reading that there still ain't no closer to extending Benefits. And if they do pass it that instead of giving 47 weeks they only want to give 13 weeks. Any thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.