Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2014, 07:06 PM

15 posts, read 21,746 times

Advertisements

For the last few weeks I have been filing my weekly claim in hope that a bill would be passed retroactively. I was unable to file this week in Ohio. So I am not sure how this will work if a bill is passed and payments are retroactive. A friend of mine had the same problem so I know it isn't just me.

Old 01-21-2014, 08:16 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,701,142 times
I was able to file and I am in NY. You should check to see how many weeks of UI you had left. I know in NY, your claim is only good for one year. After that, you have to file a new claim if you haven't found employment.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:37 PM

461 posts, read 910,028 times
You guys are lucky. We in NJ aren't able to claim. Hopefully if it gets passed, it'll be automatically retro.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:23 AM

4,195 posts, read 1,587,423 times
""Otherwise, posts in the Unemployment forum that contain any form of political bias will be deleted, and threads that are political in nature will be moved to the Politics forum. Using derogatory names to refer to political parties or politicians (or anyone else) will not be tolerated.""

The two large groups of people that sometimes meet in our nations capitol, are filled with wonderful
people with all our best interest at heart.

Is that better?

Old 01-22-2014, 09:07 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,701,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post
""Otherwise, posts in the Unemployment forum that contain any form of political bias will be deleted, and threads that are political in nature will be moved to the Politics forum. Using derogatory names to refer to political parties or politicians (or anyone else) will not be tolerated.""

The two large groups of people that sometimes meet in our nations capitol, are filled with wonderful
people with all our best interest at heart.

Is that better?

..... and they always look so well-rested! I guess they make sure to get lots of rest so they can do what's best for us!

Old 01-22-2014, 02:11 PM

314 posts, read 696,792 times
i know a lot of you are pissed..and so am i,..but get a hold of yourselves. i see a lot of people posting on the politician's twitters, etc..yelling at the democratic politicians like harry reid and jack reed who are trying to get this extension passed. it is ridiculous to yell at them. it is not going to get them to push harder to pass this. i really hope they don't have a re vote on the same bill when they come back because even if it passes the senate, it won't pass the house..they need to come up with a bill that makes both of them happy. it sucks. i have usually voted republican because if i vote against them my property taxes will go sky high as i am middle class and own a home. if i don't, i am stuck in this situation where republicans care nothing about people in a bind..even if it is from no fault of their own. i am hoping they pass it, if not i will continue to keep looking and hope for something to come up and that obtaining my 3 degrees wasn't for nothing. just about all politicians are scum...but let's be honest people only care when they are affected most of the time. republicans are mostly rich. they don't relate

Old 01-22-2014, 02:34 PM

154 posts, read 256,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msix3623 View Post
i know a lot of you are pissed..and so am i,..but get a hold of yourselves. i see a lot of people posting on the politician's twitters, etc..yelling at the democratic politicians like harry reid and jack reed who are trying to get this extension passed. it is ridiculous to yell at them. it is not going to get them to push harder to pass this. i really hope they don't have a re vote on the same bill when they come back because even if it passes the senate, it won't pass the house..they need to come up with a bill that makes both of them happy. it sucks. i have usually voted republican because if i vote against them my property taxes will go sky high as i am middle class and own a home. if i don't, i am stuck in this situation where republicans care nothing about people in a bind..even if it is from no fault of their own. i am hoping they pass it, if not i will continue to keep looking and hope for something to come up and that obtaining my 3 degrees wasn't for nothing. just about all politicians are scum...but let's be honest people only care when they are affected most of the time. republicans are mostly rich. they don't relate
I don't think it is ridiculous at all to contact the democrats in regards to this bill. From what I have been reading the word is when they come back on Monday they are going to reintroduce the 3 month extension without paying for it. If they were really interested in getting it passed they wouldn't waste everyone's time reintroducing a bill that was already shot down in the Senate and wont see the light of day in the House. Everyone should be calling democrats and telling them we want something introduced that actually has a chance of passing. Next week might be our last shot at getting something passed and I would hate to see democrats blow it by pushing the same bill they have been pushing the last few weeks with no results. Pressure needs to be put on democrats along with republicans.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:29 PM

544 posts, read 1,436,408 times
You know what really pisses me off? I got laid off in April of last year, not one of the people laid off at the beginning of the recession but at the end of it. Benefits were extended for everyone from the beginning but they could care less about the people who were laid off at the end of it. How many times has unemployment been extended since 2008??? I hate to say this but the people who have been sitting at home for the last two years not working are taking the extended benefits from those of us who just lost our jobs. My benefits didn't kick in until July due to severance and vacation and I've managed to extend them out 6 weeks by working a couple of jobs, but at the end of the day I'm going to be screwed in February when my benefits end and I can't open a new claim again until April 20th.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:46 PM

154 posts, read 256,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meekocat View Post
You know what really pisses me off? I got laid off in April of last year, not one of the people laid off at the beginning of the recession but at the end of it. Benefits were extended for everyone from the beginning but they could care less about the people who were laid off at the end of it. How many times has unemployment been extended since 2008??? I hate to say this but the people who have been sitting at home for the last two years not working are taking the extended benefits from those of us who just lost our jobs. My benefits didn't kick in until July due to severance and vacation and I've managed to extend them out 6 weeks by working a couple of jobs, but at the end of the day I'm going to be screwed in February when my benefits end and I can't open a new claim again until April 20th.
I am in a similar situation. I was laid off last April too. I also worked a couple months during that time to build up my unemployment (actually it was because I was hoping for a permanent job). My 26 weeks of state benefits ran out in the middle of December so I got a whole 2 weeks of federal benefits before I was cut off. Fortunately I was accepted into a job training program yesterday where I go to school full time and work for an internship 1 day a week. In addition to that I was told today because of my prior experience the company I am doing the internship with has said they are interested in hiring me full time as soon as I complete school (possibly sooner). Unfortunately school is an hour drive from where I live one way and I have no money coming in to pay the bills much less gas to go to school. I start school in 2 weeks so hopefully this unemployment stuff is sorted out by then but I highly doubt it will be. I don't know how I'm going to make this work but I will figure out a way because I have no other options.

As a side note anyone who is interested in changing careers and doesn't mind getting their hands dirty you should look into metal working specifically welding and machining. Especially where I live but I am sure all around the country there are a lot of high paying job opportunities in this field. If you are unemployed like me there are options out there to help you go to school to get into this field too. Check with your local job center (or whatever your state calls it) for financial aid to go to school. I have been a machinist for a while now. The only problem was I was trained on the job and many companies today want to see a certificate showing you went to school before they will even consider you (which doesn't make sense because there is a huge shortage of machinists right now). So if you don't mind going to school for a few month to a year or two (or be lucky enough to find a company with on the job training) you might want to consider metal working as a career change.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:56 PM

544 posts, read 1,436,408 times
I'm 54 years old, already hard for someone my age to get a job. I have 20 years of IT experience but no degrees or certs. It's never been necessary for me to have them but now employers are using them as a way to weed out applicants and still pay only $12 - $13 an hour. My last job I was making 42k a year. I'm looking at going back to school to finish my Associates (only 23 hours left) and get certs but even with those I almost can't justify the cost to do it based on what employers are paying. Added to that is a lot of employers here in Florida make you sign no compete contracts...seriously??? I can't believe they legislated this and don't realize that companies are doing this to monopolize business. Last time I looked monopolies were against public interest and the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment