U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-27-2014, 05:55 PM

149 posts, read 89,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Reduction of Tiers 1 and 2 is a given at this point. That still doesn't answer my Q and is nothing new.

Draft proposals mentioned way back upthread ALL reduced Tiers 1 and 2 - and b/c GOP couldn't tack on their unrelated amendments, they got p*ssy and voted them down. Kids basically throwing yet another tantrum because they had to be the tail wagging the dog.

So, what's different about S. 1931 that dems won't consider it? B/c, according to MN, it's ALL the democrats fault. So, I wanna know why.

Too many unrelated GOP add-ons??? I'm waiting for MN's answer.

Specifics, please.
I never said it is all the democrats fault but they are certainly trying to get all the political capitol out of the situation that they can at our expense. The think I think democrats object to in S. 1931 is the fact that it cuts the child tax credit for illegal aliens which I have no problem with whatsoever. Most of them don't pay taxes anyways. The other two addons are repealing cuts for military retirees (which no one should oppose) and stopping double dipping in social security and unemployment at the same time (no one should object to this either). Other than that it is just a bunch of political grand standing by Harry Reid. Many other democrats said they would vote in favor if it is ever allowed a vote.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:59 PM

313 posts, read 207,704 times
Lets hope obama' s speech focuses on ue extensions for more than a minute. I am hoping it gets taken care of by next week as next week is my last week on regular ue and I can't claim after in Nj. Who knows the headaches I will have to get retro or on the extensions if It only gets passed a month from now and I still have not found a job. It was a nightmare for me getting regular benefits alone.

Old 01-27-2014, 06:46 PM

457 posts, read 366,460 times
My professor has an inside connection on the notes for the speech tomorrow. Apparently one of the key topics Obama is going to be speaking on is Income Inequality. He wasn't given much more than that. Hopefully unemployment falls under that category.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:13 PM

15 posts, read 10,233 times
Obama has already stated that unemployment extension is gonna be one of his key topics tomorrow night. I've been watching C-Span, and searching several times a day on this topic. Up to this point I have to say that the democrats have been pretty much 100% in our favor. And the entire republican congress is opposed to an extension. Except for a few repub senators. But the fact is the only way a bill is gonna get passed is if it is the s. 1931. At the end of the day we need some republicans on board. There are 8 republican senators who sponsored the bill. With those 8 only 52 of the 55 dem's are needed to pass the bill. The house has made it clear especially the speaker of the house that the only way he will consider a extension is if it is a 3 month extension, paid for and includes a way to help unemployed to get back to work. The democratic congress have been fighting for us. Now I can only hope that after all they have done and all the republican congress members have done to filibuster them, that they will allow a republican bill to be brought up, voted, debated and pass it with hopes that it will put pressure on the house to do the same. E-mail, call, write them on fb, tweet them do whatever it takes to get this done and to let your voiced be heard. All of these senators and representatives have fb and twitter accts. Or you can go to www.senate.gov and in the top right corner find a senator from any state.

Last edited by MikeJustice03; 01-27-2014 at 08:15 PM..

Old 01-27-2014, 07:57 PM

13,125 posts, read 16,000,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin Nagant View Post
The think I think democrats object to in S. 1931 is the fact that it cuts the child tax credit for illegal aliens which I have no problem with whatsoever. Most of them don't pay taxes anyways. The other two addons are repealing cuts for military retirees (which no one should oppose) and stopping double dipping in social security and unemployment at the same time (no one should object to this either). Other than that it is just a bunch of political grand standing by Harry Reid. Many other democrats said they would vote in favor if it is ever allowed a vote.
There ya' go again, knocking Harry Reid. It never ends with you, does it?? Have you done a deep dive into any of these issues???? Clearly, if one examines these one by one, it comes clear the real grandstanding is being done in S. 1931.
  • Child credit for illegals, military retiree. double-dipping SS/UE are three separate and distinct issues which need separate legislation.
  • Military retiree pay was part of the budget compromise. There is no urgency on restoring military COLAs. Nothing that was enacted affects anyone anytime soon - but decades from now. Shouldn't be tied to UE benefits in any way. I call this political grandstanding.
  • Child credit for illegals is a tax code issue, another separate item, more appropriately dealt with by the House Ways and Means Committee, and requires an amendment to the Tax Code which needs a broader look than just one single item. Also shouldn't be in this legislation. Keep in mind, the moneyed interests want these low-wage people here, working for them. So, they pay them nothing and then have the govt subsidize the low wages with the EIC. So, in spite of all the public hoo ha, that credit will be a hard thing to dial back. - More political grandstanding.
  • SS & UE - this is both a state law and federal safety-net entitlement issue. Illinois right now offsets UE by 50% of SS benefit received, which serves to prolong benefits - as do one or two other states in their own way. In WI, SS is not an offset. When I lost my job in WI, I collected UE, SS, and a tiny employer pension which was a dollar-for-dollar offset to UE and served to extend my benefits another few months. Wouldn't have bothered me one bit if SS had been an offset - payments would have lasted longer. Further, Congress can only deal with this as it affects FEDERAL EUC benefits. The states already have laws on the books on this issue regarding state benefits. More political grandstanding, which does not consider.......
  • Too many older people who had planned to work for another ten years lost their jobs - and, because of their age and often health, are virtually unemployable - losing the possibility of improved retirement savings and SS benefit - resulting in a much poorer retirement. It's a shame they have to collect SS at 62 - because waiting to 66 improves the benefit 32%. If they can work until 70-1/2, the benefit improves ANOTHER 30%. These forced retirements result in permanent hurt long-term. Any UE offsets to SS should be a means/income test - not just because it is "double dipping" - and requires a far deeper analysis than this quick-fix legislation will provide.
Rewriting and fixing these laws is never as elementary as the idealogues and idiot talking heads on radio and TV would like the world to believe.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 01-27-2014 at 08:46 PM..

Old 01-27-2014, 07:58 PM

4,044 posts, read 2,221,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalaeon View Post
My professor has an inside connection on the notes for the speech tomorrow. Apparently one of the key topics Obama is going to be speaking on is Income Inequality. He wasn't given much more than that. Hopefully unemployment falls under that category.

Seriously... I know you probably meant well, but we didn't need an "inside connection" to know Obama would be talking about that. It's been all over talk radio, news shows, etc
'

Old 01-27-2014, 08:05 PM

1,171 posts, read 906,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis44102 View Post

meanwhile Arizona T-party has denounced Mccain for being a liberal (who do these tea party people represent, and why are they holding us all hostage?
LMAO! It's sad because the Tea Party started out as mostly libertarians and then the far right wing republicans slowly took it over. I'd bet anything more of those people need these benefits than most "real/old school" republicans. I saw an interview once when the person asked a Tea Party member if they believe in any government assistance and they said no then when asked if they had Medicare or collected Social Security they said "Of course". It boggles the mind.

It's even sadder that many of these politicians are afraid of them with the upcoming elections and are letting them dictate policy. The only republican I've heard actually stand up to them was John Boehner and I applaud him for that. Hopefully he continues that stance when the unemployment bill comes to the House.

I just hope they all do the right thing and soon. I barely have enough money to get through this month and then I'm done.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:46 PM

149 posts, read 89,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
There ya' go again, knocking Harry Reid. It never ends with you, does it?? The real grandstanding is being done by the GOP in S. 1931.
  • Child credit for illegals, military retiree. double-dipping SS/UE are three separate and distinct issues which need separate legislation.
  • Military retiree pay was part of the budget compromise. There is no urgency on restoring military COLAs. Nothing that was enacted affects anyone anytime soon - but decades from now. Shouldn't be tied to UE benefits in any way.
  • Child credit for illegals is a tax code issue, another separate item, more appropriately dealt with by the House Ways and Means Committee, and requires an amendment to the Tax Code which needs a broader look than just one single item. Also shouldn't be in this legislation. Keep in mind, the moneyed interests want these low-wage people here, working for them. So, they pay them nothing and then have the govt subsidize the low wages with the EIC. So, in spite of all the public hoo ha, that credit will be a hard thing to dial back.
  • SS & UE - this is both a state law and federal safety-net entitlement issue. Illinois right now offsets UE by 50% of SS benefit received, which serves to prolong benefits - as do one or two other states in their own way. In WI, SS is not an offset. When I lost my job in WI, I collected UE, SS, and a tiny employer pension which was a dollar-for-dollar offset to UE and served to extend my benefits another few months. Wouldn't have bothered me one bit if SS had been an offset - payments would have lasted longer. Further, Congress can only deal with this as it affects FEDERAL EUC benefits. The states already have laws on the books on this issue regarding state benefits.
  • That said, too many older people who had planned to work for another ten years lost their jobs - and, because of their age and often health, are virtually unemployable - losing the possibility of improved retirement savings and SS benefit - resulting in a much poorer retirement. It's a shame they have to collect SS at 62 - because waiting to 66 improves the benefit 32%. If they can work until 70-1/2, the benefit improves ANOTHER 30%. These forced retirements result in permanent hurt long-term. Any UE offsets to SS should be a means/income test - not just because it is "double dipping" and requires a far better analysis than this quick-fix legislation will provide.
Rewriting and fixing these laws is never as elementary as the idealogues and idiot talking heads on radio and TV would like the world to believe.
I am sorry for "knocking" Harry Reid but the fact of the matter is he is Senate majority leader and could have brought a bill up for a vote or at least debate today. The longer he drags this out the more people get behind on their bills. It's been a month already. Enough is enough. A compromise needs to be reached and S. 1931 is the closest thing we are going to get to that. At least allow debate and a vote on it. The democrats were saying all last week the first thing they would do on Monday was address unemployment. Today has come and passed and not a word in the Senate about a vote. I have said it before and will say it again. The bill needs republican support if it is to have ANY chance of getting a vote in the House so anything short of that is just a waste of our time.

Old 01-27-2014, 08:59 PM

15 posts, read 10,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin Nagant View Post
I am sorry for "knocking" Harry Reid but the fact of the matter is he is Senate majority leader and could have brought a bill up for a vote or at least debate today. The longer he drags this out the more people get behind on their bills. It's been a month already. Enough is enough. A compromise needs to be reached and S. 1931 is the closest thing we are going to get to that. At least allow debate and a vote on it. The democrats were saying all last week the first thing they would do on Monday was address unemployment. Today has come and passed and not a word in the Senate about a vote. I have said it before and will say it again. The bill needs republican support if it is to have ANY chance of getting a vote in the House so anything short of that is just a waste of our time.
I agree. And I'm in the same boat as everyone else. Broke and not sure what is going to happen. But up until now I have to say that Harry Reid has been trying. You should really check out his twitter page. All he tweets about is getting unemployment extended. During the next few days we will see what happens. But S. 1931 is pretty much our only chance as of now. Unless a similar bill is introduced by democrats for a 3 month extension that is paid for.

At this point a 3 month extension would be freaking great. And I would use the money to work my @ss off and find a job to make sure that I never have to wait on congress to vote on bills in order to pay my own.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:14 PM

95 posts, read 62,850 times
it would appear that he farm bill still has to pass the senate, giving them the option of attaching unemployment and bouncing it back to house

Yahoo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment