U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2013, 06:35 PM

747 posts, read 805,556 times

Advertisements

I love how we're (the unemployed) are at a disadvantage all the way around. Out of work too long? Out of luck. Run out of UI benefits? Out of luck. Employers will use this opportunity to take advantage of paying less and the Government is doing nothing to actually fix the problem.

Old 12-18-2013, 06:54 PM

17 posts, read 23,090 times
The Health Care field is very saturated. I am a pharmacist with a bachelor's and a doctorate, and I cannot find a job. My field has been saturated by two things. One the older pharmacist are not retiring, and two the diploma mills that popped up in the mid 2000s are cranking out students incessantly. The unemployment rate for pharmacist is b/w 8-13%, and it is worst in more populated areas.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:14 PM

747 posts, read 805,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duncanI View Post
The Health Care field is very saturated. I am a pharmacist with a bachelor's and a doctorate, and I cannot find a job. My field has been saturated by two things. One the older pharmacist are not retiring, and two the diploma mills that popped up in the mid 2000s are cranking out students incessantly. The unemployment rate for pharmacist is b/w 8-13%, and it is worst in more populated areas.
Wow...I'm sorry to hear that. It's been hard for me to distinguish between BS and opportunity specifically in the Sonography field. Some say there's opportunity but others say no. And it ain't cheap to go back to school.

I wonder what will happen in the IT world. While I know it's a growth area, if we start expanding HIB visas, employers will have a large field of cheap labor to tap.

The middle class and upper middle class are under attack - make no mistake about that.

Old 12-18-2013, 09:03 PM

20,809 posts, read 41,488,656 times
Not to mention food stamps, Medicaid, and other taxpayer-funded social assistance which Walmart openly encourages its "employees" to apply for. Taxpayer is essentially paying the "living" wage for those Walmart workers.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:57 AM

17 posts, read 23,090 times
Wow...I'm sorry to hear that. It's been hard for me to distinguish between BS and opportunity specifically in the Sonography field. Some say there's opportunity but others say no. And it ain't cheap to go back to school.

I wonder what will happen in the IT world. While I know it's a growth area, if we start expanding HIB visas, employers will have a large field of cheap labor to tap.

The middle class and upper middle class are under attack - make no mistake about that.

Yeah it does suck that I have all this education in a field that was suppose to be solid and have a decent amount of jobs, and there are very few. And you are right expanding HIB visas to foreign pharmacists doesn't help either. It seems like the people who are losing their job today are not just low wage earners or blue collar, but many with advanced degrees in business and healthcare. Basically, when everyone learns that one field has jobs, it instantly becomes saturated. This weak economy is affecting everyone across the board. The only one who makes out are the employers with a extremely cheap labor force.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:21 PM

154 posts, read 212,990 times
Reid: Unemployment insurance first on Senate’s 2014 to-do list

Quote:

Majority Leader Harry M. Reid (D-Nev.) said that a bipartisan plan to extend the benefits for three months will get a vote on Jan. 6 or 7, the first two days the Senate is scheduled to meet in 2014.
Looks like 3 months from now we will all be back where we are now wondering if we are going to be able to pay the bills while congress again stalls until the last minute. Yes it would be nice to have a job by then but at least in my situation that is unlikely because I will be in school.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:27 PM

20,809 posts, read 41,488,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin Nagant View Post
Reid: Unemployment insurance first on Senate’s 2014 to-do list

Quote:
Majority Leader Harry M. Reid (D-Nev.) said that a bipartisan plan to extend the benefits for three months will get a vote on Jan. 6 or 7, the first two days the Senate is scheduled to meet in 2014.
Awww, they shouldn't do that to the states. These three month extensions often lapse - creating computer and other administrative nightmares, which leave the states scrambling when reinstated.

Depending on your state, it often takes two or three weeks, or longer (when PA resumed HUP a couple years ago, it took a month) AFTER legislation is signed January - before payments resume. And, then, they go through the process again if no agreement reached in three months.

I foresee real problems in MA, NV, PA, and CA.

Old 12-19-2013, 12:43 PM

154 posts, read 212,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Awww, they shouldn't do that to the states. These three month extensions often lapse - creating computer and other administrative nightmares, which leave the states scrambling when reinstated.

Depending on your state, it often takes two or three weeks, or longer (when PA resumed HUP a couple years ago, it took a month) AFTER legislation is signed January - before payments resume. And, then, they go through the process again if no agreement reached in three months.

I guess the good news is we actually have a date that they might vote on this and it is more likely to pass if it is only for 3 months. The bad news is 3 months from now it's going to be the same thing all over again.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:38 PM

6 posts, read 10,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post

Now would the payments be retroactive if there is a three plus week delay IF legislation is passed? My situation is I would only have possibly three months left of extended benefits. Would I only receive 2 months of benefits(because of the delay for the legislation to kick in) or the full three months? Thanks.

Old 12-19-2013, 05:04 PM

241 posts, read 833,555 times
Yes most likely be retro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment