U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-19-2013, 06:10 PM

590 posts, read 403,837 times

Advertisements

Some not good news. he is only one person but he does have an inside track.

Democrat Gives Up Hope On 'Cruel' Congress Bumping Unemployment Benefits By Year-End

Note to the 1.3 million Americans wondering if Congress will cut off their unemployment benefits at year-end: It's hopeless. Rep. Peter DeFazio (D-Ore.) said Thursday that a deal to extend payments was all but dead, after a bipartisan budget deal between Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) and Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.) left out the measure.

"Long-term unemployed Americans … they wanna work, they can't find work. And they're just being cut off of unemployment benefits at a time of relatively poor economy and a difficult job market," DeFazio said. "That was an incredibly cruel parting statement of an arguably very cruel congressional year with a war on struggling Americans."

DeFazio's comments came during an interview with HuffPost Live. When asked whether there was "no hope" for an extension, DeFazio said that only theoretical possibilities remain.

1.3 million Americans from losing federal benefits. "We do have some possibility, I guess, in whatever is done as a continuing appropriations bill in January," he said. "One thing in Washington, D.C., whenever someone says 'Oh you can vote for it now 'cause we're going to fix it later’ -- later never comes. And I fear in this case later is not going to come.”

WATCH DeFazio's comments in the video above.

States fund six months of unemployment benefits for people who are out of work but looking for a job. Since the great recession hit, Congress has padded that timeline, and currently offers an extension to 73 weeks of aid. If Congress does not renew its extension by Dec. 31, millions at the 6-month threshold will be cut off. There are currently about three times as many people looking for a job as there are job openings in the United States.

DeFazio went on to predict that Congress might retroactively help military retirees, but that the unemployed were probably out of luck given GOP resistance in the House to anti-poverty aid.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:30 PM

14,255 posts, read 18,798,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post
"We do have some possibility, I guess, in whatever is done as a continuing appropriations bill in January," he said. "One thing in Washington, D.C., whenever someone says 'Oh you can vote for it now 'cause we're going to fix it later’ -- later never comes. And I fear in this case later is not going to come.”
Bah, humbug. I think it far more likely there will be a short-term extension than not.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick1215 View Post
Now would the payments be retroactive if there is a three plus week delay IF legislation is passed?
Extensions are always retro.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,425 times
Default Am i eligible for reopen my claim?

i just terminated{their fault }from my job on 4.4.2013, , after 2 month they start to pay my edd . now i"m in tire 1. and still $2800 left in my claim. but they saying your extention will be over on 28 december on 2013.
wht:s my choice.? if congress don"t eccept edd extention for 2014, can i reopn my claim and ask for edd?
pleasae help me , i,m new and sorry for my bad english.
u guys have nice holidays.

Old 12-20-2013, 12:56 PM

10 posts, read 6,370 times
edit* nevermind I found my answer

Last edited by jp555; 12-20-2013 at 01:18 PM..

Old 12-20-2013, 02:06 PM

1,001 posts, read 873,914 times
I think what he was trying to say is we expect the government to fix things. Something goes wrong, government should help. But really, what do they do? They employ more and more federal employees and cost us MORE money. The real problem is getting companies to hire us. Too little jobs so they can be choosy. That's their right to hire who they feel fits the job better. But if they don't hire us, then they keep hiring people that already have jobs and already put money into the system. If they hire a long term unemployed, that person finally has money to sink into the economy. If they go without, they just drain the system. So how would it be a bad decision?

Old 12-20-2013, 04:23 PM

6 posts, read 5,890 times
So what does everyone think will actually happen? There has been tons of conjecture, but what will probably actually happen?

Old 12-20-2013, 06:10 PM

437 posts, read 283,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick1215 View Post
So what does everyone think will actually happen? There has been tons of conjecture, but what will probably actually happen?
I think it will happen in the beginning of January with a one year extention

Old 12-20-2013, 06:12 PM

437 posts, read 283,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin Nagant View Post
I found out some information today that might help some of you that are losing benefits and are going to school or planning to go to school. Like many of you I am facing having my unemployment cot off December 28th because I just ran out of my 26 weeks the state of Wisconsin pays last week. Last week I signed up for what the state considers an "approved training program" and was advised by someone from the jobs center that I might qualify for a seperate unemployment extension for people that are going to school. I finally got through to someone at the unemployment office (what a nightmare that is) today who told me that there is in fact an extension availible I might qualify for that is federally funded and is seperate from the emergency extensions. It sounded like this is some new program as he told me they can't take applications until January 6th. He said there is a good chance i will qualify because am signed up for an approved training program but he couldn't say for sure. Something some of you might want to check into. And if anyone has more info about this extension I would be interested in finding out more as the unemployment office didn't give me too many details.
Have you found anything else out?

Old 12-20-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharagim11972 View Post
i just terminated{their fault }from my job on 4.4.2013, , after 2 month they start to pay my edd . now i"m in tire 1. and still $2800 left in my claim. but they saying your extention will be over on 28 december on 2013.
wht:s my choice.? if congress don"t eccept edd extention for 2014, can i reopn my claim and ask for edd?
pleasae help me , i,m new and sorry for my bad english.
u guys have nice holidays.
This is not the thread for questions on individual claims. I have begun a new thread for you and answered your question, here:

sharagim's Q on CA claim

If you have further questions on your issue, use that that thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment